Off Topic - siezed, rusted, possibly double threaded, sheared bolt extraction advice!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Off Topic - siezed, rusted, possibly double threaded, sheared bolt extraction advice!

Post by redefined_cycles »

I wasn't internet flaming at all and nor did I think anyone else was. It was merely stating that it didn't look like a business with any sort of ability to check on quality and that it was more than likely cash in hand. This was in response to some explanations previously about business rates/insurance/liability etc.

The url on the google maps site just led to an 'oops' domain. No flaming whatsoever, just discussion as to the merits of a £150 bolt weld and that I was gonna take the longer plan B :-bd

In any case the screenshot of the advert has been removed. Hopefully that means everyone can be friends again :lol:
Lazarus

Re: Off Topic - siezed, rusted, possibly double threaded, sheared bolt extraction advice!

Post by Lazarus »

internet flaming and stating things are a rip off is all too common when we haven't used a service.
Reasonable point and i am certainly getting close to it (IMHO others may think i have passed it allready) so will shut up now and bow out the thread
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Look at it this way Shaff - if you manage to sort this, bike related fixing will seem easy, ever after! That said stainless bottle cage bolts corrosion welded into ally frames can be much harder as there is less to hack away at!
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:36 pm That said stainless bottle cage bolts corrosion welded into ally frames can be much harder as there is less to hack away at!
And there's your occasional reminder to go loosen and retighten all the bolts! Far easier alloy bolts and steel frame but still … 
IMG_5133.jpeg
IMG_5133.jpeg (164.71 KiB) Viewed 560 times
redefined_cycles

Hyppy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:25 am
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:36 pm That said stainless bottle cage bolts corrosion welded into ally frames can be much harder as there is less to hack away at!
And there's your occasional reminder to go loosen and retighten all the bolts! Far easier alloy bolts and steel frame but still … 

IMG_5133.jpeg
Nice1 Hyppy. Nice tap work you got going there. What cutting oil you using :grin:
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:44 am
Nice1 Hyppy. Nice tap work you got going there. What cutting oil you using :grin:
Err … likely a no-no to you proper mechanics but as a one off job (and being only a bottle boss isn't mission-critical) I didn't think it worth buying anything special so just a blast of GT85! 😞

Hope the car's back on the road soon. Didn't you say you needed it next day when all this started?
redefined_cycles

Hyppy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:16 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:44 am
Err … likely a no-no to you proper mechanics but as a one off job (and being only a bottle boss isn't mission-critical) I didn't think it worth buying anything special so just a blast of GT85! 😞

Hope the car's back on the road soon. Didn't you say you needed it next day when all this started?
I did. But gave up on that idea. Took the wifes classic (in my eyes... R reg) Civic to work instead and not going as far as getting a crippled back. So uncomfy but it was me that encouraged her with it as her first car.

Love it really but hopefully me and my daughter will be saving up for a newer car for her (my money, daughters banking skills).
redefined_cycles

Alhamdulillah (All Praise God), and very many thanks to all that helped/supported. Brakes back on. New threads slightly off camber but compensated eith the good bolt/hole.

Sorry for any disagreements that people may have had on account of myself not willing to fork out £150 on what IMO was daylight robbery. From the savings (yes, there were some) the bear will be fed. Not much, but every little helps. Here comes payday (Mon or Tues).

Phew... Alhamdulillah :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done Shaf.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Whenever you pull something like that off, It's always nice to know you are ahead of the game!
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:11 pm Well done Shaf.
Thanks. Bled all four ends of brakes. Now, rd test. Always get nervous at these road tests cos I recall when me and mate did the hubs on my Subaru Legacy. Each thought the other had tughtened caliper bolts and one side fell out. Drove it straight to the garage who did a reasonably shoddy job.

Left loads of air in brakes that just needed one more bleed. Maybe it's a lesson to me to just allow for lots of mistakes from others as we're all infallible. Just hate it when they (specific mechanic in mind) don't own up and the standard litigation-safe answer is... "was already like that".

Thanks once again all :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Glad there was a happy resolution to this, well done. Definitely character-building this stuff. I've been in that pit of despair where you've dug yourself a hole (not that I'm suggesting you did anything wrong to start with) that's going to sap time/money/energy getting out of, if you even can.

In my case, it built a character who, having invested time in learning tricks for things like stuck notes, and money in tools like bolt extractors, takes his boring vehicle to a proper garage and tries not to wince when they present the bill :lol:
redefined_cycles

My proper garage (now) is Lex Tec in Sheffield. Including parts and labour with 20% VAT... The last bill came to £1300 (or £1150) - 1x front bearing; water pump + coolant; rebuilding radiator [it's a thing]; 2 x front discs cos he walloped and broke it when removing disc for hub; sundries [£5 but I never got any new circlips].

I just pretended it was all in a days work. But well worth it as Dave seems to be on top of itemising everything and has a good rep. Plus, I tried to walk it back from Sheffield so that's worth at least £100 for the opportunity. Wince, :lol: thought it was just me.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Well done for sticking with it Shaf :-bd

Although i have a strange mixed feeling of being both relieved & concerned :???:

P.S. the ‘10’ on the head of the bolt is it’s tensile rating..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Wotsits wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:00 pm Well done for sticking with it Shaf :-bd

Although i have a strange mixed feeling of being both relieved & concerned :???:

P.S. the ‘10’ on the head of the bolt is it’s tensile rating..
I get your concern. No, they've both gone in nicely without any sideqys stress torqued em to 80nm so hopefully stay put too :-bd
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

This has been like a week's plot line on The Archers, nicely finishing in time for the Sunday omnibus edition. Good work Shaf, it's been both entertaining and educational!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

80nm?

Is that Nnnnnnnneugh! or maybe up to getthatoffyoubuggers in British Standard engineering terms?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:58 pm 80nm?

Is that Nnnnnnnneugh! or maybe up to getthatoffyoubuggers in British Standard engineering terms?
Yes... it's basically effing tight but the torque I just checked with mu dads old torque wrench. I'll check the specs and maybe get my new tprque wrench out for em. Never had a problem before with putting in all my force with the Teng socket wrench (same car).

But... good point I'll quadruple check again :grin:
redefined_cycles

Hyppy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:53 pm This has been like a week's plot line on The Archers, nicely finishing in time for the Sunday omnibus edition. Good work Shaf, it's been both entertaining and educational!
Got a ride in too Hyppy and just in time for aft prayers at the mosque. So, just in time indeed. 1000m and climbing :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

takes his boring vehicle to a proper garage and tries not to wince when they present the bill
Despite being an ex mechanic, with access to a ramp and full tools at weekends, I often do the same as sometimes an easy job ends up like what Shaf experienced
Well done for seeing it through Shaf to a good result
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

whitestone wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:58 pm 80nm?

A quick search brings up this-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2 ... -rear.html

&

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th ... specs.html

Not sure if any of these correspond to Shafs model of Lexus?
redefined_cycles

Found it in my ls430 manual (very hard to navigate). 78Nm :grin: Alhamdulillah
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:33 pm
takes his boring vehicle to a proper garage and tries not to wince when they present the bill
Despite being an ex mechanic, with access to a ramp and full tools at weekends, I often do the same as sometimes an easy job ends up like what Shaf experienced
Well done for seeing it through Shaf to a good result
Thanks v much John. I like to think of myself as a bike mechanic. Maybe not the best, but I'm average.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Above avarage mechanic and not just for commitment
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:45 pm Found it in my ls430 manual (very hard to navigate). 78Nm :grin: Alhamdulillah
Jobs a good'un :-bd