The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club Ride - Sat 4th May to Mon 6th May 2024

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club Ride - Sat 4th May to Mon 6th May 2024

Post by Karl »

What is the Lonely Hearts Club?

Well, would you like to enter the Welsh Ride Thing but don't feel entirely confident in your abilities? Yes? Then perhaps join the Lonely Hearts Club.
You'll have no navigation worries or concerns about finding re-supply or overnight spots (that's all on me). My wife Cat will be there as well to keep everyone in check. If you're unsure with getting the best out of your equipment we'll be on hand to help with that. It's a great way to introduce yourself to bikepacking and the Welsh Ride Thing.

Route will be planned when grid references are released. It won't be set in stone and there will be opportunities to put extra in, or take a bit out. We won't be back too late Monday as it's important to eat Dee's cakes.

If that sounds like something you'd be interested in then let me know on this thread and then drop me an email to karl_booth@hotmail.com

See you in May,

Karl & Cat :-bd
macinblack

Re: The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club Ride - Sat 4th May to Mon 6th May 2024

Post by macinblack »

Hello Karl,

I'm up for this and happy to drop out if it's oversubscribed.
BitTube

Re: The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club Ride - Sat 4th May to Mon 6th May 2024

Post by BitTube »

Hi Karl

I just sent a mail to sign up for the LHC again.

See you in a few weeks time!

Dave
RIP

Post by RIP »

As well as Karl and Cat's expert guiding, Lonely Hearters and Lost Souls also have the 'Ride With Reg' LHC option :smile: .

Having run some LHC's a few years ago I felt it's time to 'give something back' again.

I'm particularly keen to encourage WRT first-timers and non-Boners but all welcome if there's none of those willing to risk it. You could toss a coin for Karl or Reg, but Stuart mentioned in his email that he's happy to coordinate participants so I shall await events. Or maybe it would be fun to all swap groups half way round!

My view of routes is rather freewheeling, I've got a good idea where nice places are but I don't follow a fixed line on a GPS (whatever one of those is) and enjoy changing things around as we go depending on what the group fancies or feels like.

There will be plenty of variety though, including some remote spots, and there's usually lots of cafe, pub and ice-cream opportunities :-bd .

If you're not sure our paces or abilities may match, if this OAP on a 17-year-old bike can manage it then you certainly will!

Oh, and I don't count miles but I do count smiles :smile: .

Anyway, there you go. I'll leave you to toss that coin, or ask Stuart, or probably best just opt for Karl because he won't be riding around under a permanent rain cloud.....

Cheers, 'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I can highly recommend any newbie to Bear Bones, to the WRT and to bike packing in general will have a brilliant weekend of riding with Reg.

He's one hell of a character and will guarantee a weekend to remember, that's for sure.
Karl

Post by Karl »

As Reg mentioned you lucky lonely folk have the choice of 2 Lonely Hearts Clubs this year. I promise you whichever group you choose you'll probably dislike us for a bit of it, you'll be our best mates for some bits, you'll be ambivulous towards us for the other bits. At the end of the weekend you'll be happy to have done some great riding in Wales and may even want to come back again. I'll share some pics soon of what LHC fun looks like :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

My question, why isn't john opening the 3rd. Thanks Karl and Reg :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:00 pm My question, why isn't john opening the 3rd. Thanks Karl and Reg :-bd
I chatted with Stuart about it and it was agreed that three's a crowd.

The last WRT LHC that I lead has turned into a great gang of riding mates, with daily WhatsApp banter and several group rides a year too.
We are riding our LHC gang without stepping on Karl and Reg's toes by not taking on any other newbies this year.

That's how cool the WRT LHC rides can be, new lifelong mates made at Bear Bones Towers :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

I think the only thing that should be pointed out, is Reg's penchant for cycling during extreme precipitation... Do we know if Karl has also angered the rain Gods in some way...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Boab wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:40 pm I think the only thing that should be pointed out, is Reg's penchant for cycling during extreme precipitation... Do we know if Karl has also angered the rain Gods in some way...?
Well if he has, it's only since last year! The 2023 LHC group only had to deal with wet conditions on the Sunday morning.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Karl wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 pm I promise you whichever group you choose you'll probably dislike us for a bit of it, you'll be our best mates for some bits, you'll be ambivulous towards us for the other bits. At the end of the weekend you'll be happy to have done some great riding in Wales and may even want to come back again.
Good summary that Karl :grin:
I'll share some pics soon of what LHC fun looks like :-bd
I look forward to seeing those :-bd .

I've just been watching Michael Portillo on telly doing his "Great Railway Journeys" thing, and this time coincidentally he was wandering around Aber, Borth, Mach and Tywyn - Bearbones Land! All instantly recognisable. They must mess around with the colours though because the scenery looked a lot more vivid than when I'm there :wink: . Anyway, I hope you'll forgive me Karl please for pre-empting your photos with a few of my own because Mr Portillo has suddenly fired me up and reminded me how lucky we are to have Bearbones Land and the WRT excuse (if any needed) to visit it! Very much want to see yours too :smile: .

As JC said, you'll make some good mates....

... enjoy some great scenery, often in remote places....

... and atmospheric places...

.. maybe stopping for a call of nature :wink: ...

... while conquering the odd challenge...

... and suffering many a tussock....

But there's always time for a mid-ride chill-out...

And who says the "R" part of "WRT" has to be on a bike?......

All this riding gives you a bit of a thirst....

... and a big appetite!....

... not forgetting the obligatory ice-cream on the beach....

And after a long day in the saddle find somewhere to rest your head wherever you can...

.. just don't expect a hot bath before you turn in...

... although some bivvy places come ready made so long as you don't expect a telly and a feather bed either.....

Thanks for looking, and I'm sure Karl has some excellent ones to inspire you as well :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster