GB Duro Entries open

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

GB Duro Entries open

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.theracingcollective.com/gbduro.html
Back to single stage / usual rules. I've put a NOI in so we'll see.
boxelder

Re: GB Duro Entries open

Post by boxelder »

Ooh, that's a long way. Not sure you'll manage that in a 'oner'
ton

Post by ton »

bit of a ride that. would makes a grand 3 week holiday.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Nice one Phil.

I considered it briefly. This format is much more appealing but I just don't get enough annual leave. Looks like a great trip!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

We'll see - the entry questionnaire still required you to have an instagram account, even though it doesn't get used for tracking. So I just put a gobbildigook name in and I think I got some of the questions wrong...

And its £125 plus tracker hire and registration....
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Not a race but you get "ranked"

Sections that are "cheeky"

But seen as the premier UK backpacking event

No fly, no plastic, fires OK :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

And its £125 plus tracker hire and registration
what exactly are you getting, in a self supported ITT, that warrants that?
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Selection of participants
Arbiter of rules
Some insurance to protect the organisation
Timing
Film crew with drones, including travel, accommodation, subsistence
Website update
Organisation accommodation, travel and subsistence costs, potentially EV hire

Per mile it's probably "better" value than some other shorter events
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:06 am
From the site:

The £125 entry fee includes:
• GPX of the GBDIVIDE route [Cape Wrath variant]
• A shared experience as part of a special community of riders
• Unlimited access to the UK’s hungriest midges
• Our Organiser’s Liability Insurance (for the organisation, not the rider)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's an expensive gpx.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

riderdown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:04 am Sections that are "cheeky"
I've the current route GPX and I didn't see anything that wasn't legal - will be looking closely at the route if I get that far!
Lazarus wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:06 am
Good question as I already have the route.... I guess I'm OK shelling out for someone to do this as a business rather than as a volunteer as there is a fair bit of cat herding required to get it organised. Paying up puts it on a bit more of a sustainable footing. I'm aggrieved I would have to provide my own personal liability insurance as this is patently not needed for a thing like this. The 'organisation' is just the tracking, getting people to turn up and start and then be welcomed at the finish. In between I'm just doing a bike ride... I suspect the organiser has sought legal advice on this, and received bad legal advice, which is fairly typical. In fact a quick search has revealed that no such product is available - I can get travel insurance but nothing about personal liability - insuring myself against loss or damage??
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:36 pm We'll see - the entry questionnaire still required you to have an instagram account, even though it doesn't get used for tracking. So I just put a gobbildigook name in and I think I got some of the questions wrong...
That's a hard no from me then. Shouldn't have to tell someone why they shouldn't be using ̶F̶a̶c̶e̶b̶o̶o̶k̶ Meta products, especially when there are equivalents that aren't run by cnuts.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

With you on that point FB can ..best stop I will go all Malcolm Tucker
. nothing about personal liability - insuring myself against loss or damage??
Briitish cycling membership covers this ( check level) if its a " race" or lower levels if a " commute/ leisure cycle and surely it's third party you need.
I suspect they just want a get out of jail free card if someone tries to sue them because you crash. Which is fair enough if they were not having 125 of your finest pounds.
YMMV
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I imagine that the organisers liability insurance is demanding that riders have personal insurance. I know that in the past we've had to see proof that any supplier we use for events has there own cover to a certain £amount.

British Cycling membership gives liability insurance (£24/year from memory) and CTC (£54). Both have other benefits.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

*sigh* My enthusiasm for this event is exponentially nosediving back to what it was when it was a stage race and you had to carry all your plastic litter with you...
I bet I don't get an entry in any case!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

riderdown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:04 am Not a race but you get "ranked"

Sections that are "cheeky"

But seen as the premier UK backpacking event

No fly, no plastic, fires OK :-bd
And if you win you must use your Instagram account (and all the new followers you'll have) to promote flying all over the world and riding :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:16 pm *sigh* My enthusiasm for this event is exponentially nosediving back to what it was when it was a stage race and you had to carry all your plastic litter with you...
I got slightly tipsy last night and entered. Bet I don't either as I wrote a long rant about Instagram on my entry and also when they see my Strava has basically been gig rowing for a year ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:22 pm And if you win you must use your Instagram account (and all the new followers you'll have) to promote flying all over the world and riding :wink:
And if I win, I'll bore all of you lot to death banging on about it (spoiler alert, I won't win)
Dave Barter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:24 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:16 pm *sigh* My enthusiasm for this event is exponentially nosediving back to what it was when it was a stage race and you had to carry all your plastic litter with you...
I got slightly tipsy last night and entered. Bet I don't either as I wrote a long rant about Instagram on my entry and also when they see my Strava has basically been gig rowing for a year ;-)
:lol: Oddly, one of the questions was "what's the longest road ride you've done" to which I answered "200 miles / 320k" except this was a fairly benign 15 hours worth of pleasant scenery, easy terrain and nice weather. I should've put the '23 BB300. Also "Highest place on an ultra" A what? I just put down the HT I did in 2017 sub 5 days... They didn't ask what your experience was of surviving in a mountain environment.

Last year the entry numbers were well down so maybe running it more as a normal ITT will get more people in and so they can be picky.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Boab wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:17 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:36 pm We'll see - the entry questionnaire still required you to have an instagram account, even though it doesn't get used for tracking. So I just put a gobbildigook name in and I think I got some of the questions wrong...
That's a hard no from me then. Shouldn't have to tell someone why they shouldn't be using ̶F̶a̶c̶e̶b̶o̶o̶k̶ Meta products, especially when there are equivalents that aren't run by cnuts.
I've done races where all comms were done via WhatsApp and another where they expected you to use Instagram as a virtual Brevet Card. I use neither for the reasons Boab gives, and am sick of it being seen as a requirement.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On this years BB200, all riders will be required to send in a postcard from the furthest point on route. Nice scenic ones will be encouraged. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:16 pm On this years BB200, all riders will be required to send in a postcard from the furthest point on route. Nice scenic ones will be encouraged. :-bd
Not the deepest water?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Disappointed was hoping for moonies
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
"The water is lovely, come on in. Wish you were here!"
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I've the current route GPX and I didn't see anything that wasn't legal - will be looking closely at the route if I get that far!
It's the section off Rochdale Road at Fecit Lane/ Coal Road and the run along the wind turbines. There's a locked gate because it's footpath only. After a short run on the bridleway it's off it again passing Cragg High level tank, then Cowpe Reservoir before rejoining the bridleway

It's all well used by locals

I would have sent them up the canal from Manchester to Rochdale, a bit on the cycleway then up Rooley Moor Road for death by cobbles which is distinctly more of a test and completely legal for an organised event you could even send them around Cragg and Lee Quarries and some of the features there for added dramatic scenery
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

On this years BB200, all riders will be required to send in a postcard from the furthest point on route. Nice scenic ones will be encouraged
Have you seen the price of stamps these days? :shock: