Tubeless question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BridlewayBimbler

Tubeless question

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

Hello all.

I am considering changing.over to tubeless and had a query regarding my rims which are WTB ST I23 TCS tubeless ready.

Does anyone know if these have tubeless valves fitted, or do I have to buy them separately? As far as I know they are already taped.

Can anyone recommend suitable valves and sealant, -and possibly tape if the rims arent already done?

I'm.looking at Pirelli Cinturato M as they seem to get decent reviews and there are some good deals on them ATM.

Thanks
Boab

Re: Tubeless question

Post by Boab »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:47 pm Hello all.

I am considering changing.over to tubeless and had a query regarding my rims which are WTB ST I23 TCS tubeless ready.

Does anyone know if these have tubeless valves fitted, or do I have to buy them separately? As far as I know they are already taped.

Can anyone recommend suitable valves and sealant, -and possibly tape if the rims arent already done?

I'm.looking at Pirelli Cinturato M as they seem to get decent reviews and there are some good deals on them ATM.
If you're currently running tubes and tyres, then you'll need tubeless valves. Which ones are a matter of preference as they can get quite spendy; I like the Peaty's x Chris King ones as they colour match the rest of the bling on the bike. As for sealant, you can't go wrong with Orange Seal Endurance, others will no doubt recommend other brands. Pirelli Cinturato M's are great in the dry, not so much on slippy, slithery stuff, or in the slop, your bike handling skillz might be betterer than mine though. 🤷 I run them with the Orange Seal and they work well together.

If the rims aren't taped, then the usual answer is to buy a roll of the yellow plastic Tesa Tape off eBay in whatever the internal rim width is, plus a few extra mm's. Otherwise you need to go round a few times with each wrap offset to get the correct coverage; so 27mm tape in 24mm rims for example.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lookrider

Post by lookrider »

I just bought a MILKIT valve kit with injector
The valves are really good with no air escape with core removed
You could likely bodged an injector with a turkey baster
The valves are expensive but very good
You will also need a form of booster pump to blast air in as well
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I use the cheapest from Ebay( all have worked fine)
I use a 30 ml syringe from. Ebay and inject via valve)
I use valves ( as they eventually gum up) from. Ebay
I tend to use stans fluid but I assume they all work including home brew options
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The most important thing is once you have switched over to carry a plug kit, I use this one

https://nukeproof.com/products/horizon- ... repair-kit

But I have also used the Lezyne ones. If you get a puncture that won't seal then you can plug it. The alternative option of fitting a tube will require trying to remove a tyre that is most likely stuck to the rim with sealant, getting covered in sealant, having to remove loads of thorns from the tyre and then fitting the tube and pumping it up only to discover there was a missed thorn and you now have a puncture.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BridlewayBimbler

Boab wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:06 pm
BridlewayBimbler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:47 pm Hello all.

If you're currently running tubes and tyres, then you'll need tubeless valves. Which ones are a matter of preference as they can get quite spendy; I like the Peaty's x Chris King ones as they colour match the rest of the bling on the bike. As for sealant, you can't go wrong with Orange Seal Endurance, others will no doubt recommend other brands. Pirelli Cinturato M's are great in the dry, not so much on slippy, slithery stuff, or in the slop, your bike handling skillz might be betterer than mine though. 🤷 I run them with the Orange Seal and they work well together.

If the rims aren't taped, then the usual answer is to buy a roll of the yellow plastic Tesa Tape off eBay in whatever the internal rim width is, plus a few extra mm's. Otherwise you need to go round a few times with each wrap offset to get the correct coverage; so 27mm tape in 24mm rims for example.
Thanks for this. Weird to hear about your experiences of the Cinturato M as they're marketed as a multi-surface fit-and-forget tyre! :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've used a few sets of the cheap Joe's branded valves off CRC/Wiggle. They're brass rather than aluminium and work as well as, or better, than any others I've used. Won't match your rims though, presumably.

I prefer Gorilla tape to Tesa tape, but that's a personal thing.

Always used Stan's because it works, I don't like to mix sealant, and you can usually find the larger quart (nearly a litre) bottle on offer somewhere.

No idea on the tyres I'm afraid.
Boab

Post by Boab »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:52 pm Thanks for this. Weird to hear about your experiences of the Cinturato M as they're marketed as a multi-surface fit-and-forget tyre! :lol:
That's more a reflection on my poor show bike handling skillz than the tyre... 😏 I really rate them, especially as when matched with the Orange Seal Endurance, they seem to cope with pretty much anything that does stab through them. They roll well on the road, as well as off it, and are decently wide if you can fit the 45mm ones in your frame, so you can run with some squish. I liked them so much, I put Cinturato Velo's on for the winter.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
BridlewayBimbler

Boab wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:18 pm
BridlewayBimbler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:52 pm Thanks for this. Weird to hear about your experiences of the Cinturato M as they're marketed as a multi-surface fit-and-forget tyre! :lol:
That's more a reflection on my poor show bike handling skillz than the tyre... 😏 I really rate them, especially as when matched with the Orange Seal Endurance, they seem to cope with pretty much anything that does stab through them. They roll well on the road, as well as off it, and are decently wide if you can fit the 45mm ones in your frame, so you can run with some squish. I liked them so much, I put Cinturato Velo's on for the winter.
Don't worry.............I'm no Tom Pidcock myself! :lol:
I think.the max I can fit is 47mm, but that's for 650b. I've got 700c and the limit is 42mm. :|
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:47 pm I am considering changing.over to tubeless and had a query regarding my rims which are WTB ST I23 TCS tubeless ready.

Quite by chance I converted a set of exactly the same the other week. Mine did come properly and well taped—the generic Stans-like yellow tape—but it's worth giving them the once over to ensure it's not been sloppily done and is all intact.

This time round I've used Muc-off valves as it's what the LBS had in stock that had a base which would work with inserts should I want to do that in future. My tyres went on nicely with a regular track pump. As did the replacement set when I noticed those initially fitted weren't actually tubeless X_X . There is a blog post out there somewhere saying the ST rims can be a pig to seat thanks to their profile and that WTB themselves offer a filler strip to resolve this. As my rims were ready-taped I'm not sure if there's a filler strip under the tape or not, but perhaps worth bearing in mind.

From experience on other setups, I'd recommend doing everything dry to begin with though, so if you can't get it to work it's not a messy sealant-spaffing job to give up and stick the tubes back in while you gather your thoughts before trying again another day!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Just done the same rim ( after having to replace my dynamo hub and had to use a tube first to bead one side ( tubeless tyre which had been tubeless on that rim previously)

Not the easiest I have ever done or the hardest
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Those Pirellis work a treat on those WTB rims, I had the same on my old Jamis Renegade. As mentioned, with WTB rims add at least 3mm to the number in the name.