Shaff's Alternative Winter Event, mud and hills...

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Shaff's Alternative Winter Event, mud and hills...

Post by fatbikephil »

You may, or may not, have picked up that Shaff aka Redefined Cycles kindly organised an alternative winter event for those of us unable to make the real one. As per last year (and the pandemic edition) you get paired up with somebody, send them a handful of grid references in their local area, get some yourself, then ride round and bag them all.

I sent Shaff a load round the Peaks and Gecko aka Justin sent me mine. I'd provided a bit of guidance and inevitably, my local hills were Geckos focus, as they had been when Lazarus sent me them last year.

I'd grabbed a Friday off work in the vain hope I'd get some skiing, but after a spectacularly crap winter, the temps were once again on the rise and there was nothing worth traipsing up a hill for, other than for walking or biking. So on the strength of a mild and dry forecast, I figured I'd go out and bag my GR's. Gecko had sent me 10 points and after a certain amount of map gazing, I'd plotted a reasonable route to take them all in. Roughly 80 miles and a chunk of climbing, including the local high point on the summit of Ben Cleuch at 725m. After a leisurely morning and pack up of bike I got going, just after 12.

First trail, a nice single track by the Black Devon. A lot of my route would be following it's big brother, the Devon. I'd cross this one a few times too. Note sun :-bd

GR1, listed as 'The Sunken Garden' and it was.
Westward progress was made, linking up with the River Devon just near where it emerges at the Forth. Later I would pass it's source :-bd

Sunshine on GR6 and a few bits of snow only, hence me using the Jones rather than the Ice Cream Truck. I can actually see the summit of Ben Cleuch from my upstairs bedroom window so I can accurately gauge snow levels!

After various cycleways and trails I entered the grounds of Stirling Uni, GR2 on the bridge over the pond. A fair bit of route faffing ensued as it wasn't at all obvious how to get round the place. It was rammed with young people (obviously) and I felt slightly out of place until I passed some local dog walkers.

Quick snap before anyone wondered what I was doing. Wallace (as in Bill) Monument behind.

A bit more route faffing got me back to where I'd been earlier and then I backtracked a ways before commencing the days first of several large climbs up the flanks of Dumyat. I would like to point out that I could have hoofed it straight up the Sheriffmuir road out the back of the Uni, but instead did this lengthy diversion off the straight route in a quest to maximise dirt time!

I joined this road eventually after a fair bit of huffing and puffing and then spied my next GR, The Atlantic Wall. This, somewhat amusingly, is a length of concrete wall and bunkers built during the war after spies sussed out the German beach defenses and re-created them here (of all places) so they could practice blowing hell out of them, in order to determine how easy it would be to breach said defenses during the Normandy Landings. The Military had quite a presence hereabouts back then - there are various bits of infrastructure still just about visible, included a bombing range.

GR3 One of the bunkers. Inevitably I gauged it's value as a bivvy spot but concluded that I would never be that desperate!

The remains of the wall. Well and truly hammered!

GR4 was advertised as 'Lifting Stones.' Apparently these are located all over Scotland so that brawny young people can prove their mettle by lifting them. Given my age and dodgy back, I'd no intention of indulging in such nonsense but in the event I could find no sign of them or the stone circle marked on the map at the same location....

I missed a further road section and two crossings of the A9 by following a track past three empty farms. I first passed this way 10 years ago and couldn't figure why they were empty, only to twig that this whole hillside is owned by Highland Spring as it's where they lift their water from. Although some of the land is still farmed, most of it is empty of livestock to avoid polluting the spring water (which is manifestly not 'Highland'!) One house was getting done up the last time I passed, but it was still empty. Another had been demolished and the final one looked about ready to fall down. A shame as I'm sure someone would live there if they were offered up for sale. Anyway, I splashed along the track down to the road and then started up an oft used climb which is a real killer on singlespeed - not steep enough to warrant a push but steep enough to require a big effort to get up. I was feeling a bit weary by this point and further climbing was in the offing so walked a chunk of it...

Upper Glen Devon Res, the source of the River Devon and my water supply. It's just over the watershed from the Highland Spring infrastructure so in effect, I get Highland Spring water out of my tap!
Scottish Water actually have a campaign to get people to drink tap water rather than buying over priced bottles of what is effectively the same stuff (up here and the North of England at least) even putting public drinking fountains back in! Of interest is the trail, which is a cracker.

GR5, or thereby. It's actually in the res itself - I'd mentioned to Gecko I had a packraft! In the event I wasn't going to be humpfing another 5 kg with me so this was a close as I got. Another stone circle lurks under the water apparently. Last year this had been a very small puddle and the old walls, farm remains and road were visible. Full up today!

This trail popped me out at the dam. I crossed this and faced something of a dilemma. GR 6 was just in view, the summit of Ben Cleuch. This would be the best point to stage an ascent from, being at 400m, plus I could use the windfarm track for a chunk of the climb. But it was now quarter to five and 6 would be Dark O'Clock. Not a big problem but from the summit it would be an hour or more to my next GR, in the grounds of Glen Eagles House and I figured wandering through with lights a'blaze might lead to adverse comment (and a rifle shot...) But if I missed this climb out I'd inevitably bottle doing it the next day and fail. So with little thought I turned the bars right and started up.

GR6, 725m AOD. The climb actually went OK, the only annoying detail was mist flowing over the hill after it having been in the sun all day. It was still largely light but heading down, darkness quickly fell. I ruminated on whether to keep on route and miss GR7 but on a whim decided to change course and head off the south side of the hills to get food at the Dollar co-op. I'd then ride up to my bivvy spot (close to GR 8) then grab it and 7 the next day. This would mean a loop and extra miles but would get me to my bivvy spot the quickest. A lengthy descent followed (yet another pair of Uber pads burnt out) with two substantial climbs thrown in. As had been the case all day, the trail was properly soggy. My feet were feeling damp and the bike plastered in gunge...

Dollar Co-op provided a cold tea and a couple of beers for later. Then off up the back road, a bit of main road (quiet as it's shut just east of my current location) and up the Dunning road, finally entering the woods of Glen Devon Forest at 8. There was a hint of rain in the air so I pushed on but got to the spot dry (dry!), got the tarp up sharpish and collapsed into my bag with some relief, having just ridden 90k in 8 hours. But all in all a great day and all in the dry (!!!) in spite of a somewhat marginal forecast.

Top spot this but only in an easterly. By rights there should be a good view but I woke to low cloud, mist and drizzle. It had rained (lightly) for most of the night but my labours of the previous day, plus the beer, led to a solid 8 hours kip. I had a leisurely breakfast then got going just after 10.

GR7, the amusingly named Fanny Burn. I bivvied on Fanny Hill last year...

The nearest I got to GR8 - Glen Eagles Castle. At first I couldn't see how to get in, but as I reached a gate and a fairly obvious mowed path heading towards it a guy in an ATV turned up enquiring as to my destination. I instantly figured that the castle was probably off limits, being in the grounds of the big hoose, plus I couldn't be arsed getting into a rammy with the guy as he was pretty cheery, asking about the bike and what I'd been up to, so headed up to the start of the drove road, grabbing this pic (and my thumb) of the castle - just a low mound.

So another long track climb (a lovely grassy one, this is a great route) various bits of trail and even a bit of the main road (also very quiet) as a penalty for changing my route the previous evening. I got to the start of the climb to GR9, however despite a sign pointing the path out, I faced a well tied up gate and no obvious path. Stuff it, I was not missing this GR out! So heave bike over the gate and push up a lengthy climb over sheep dung encrusted fields.

GR9, Hoods Hill. There should be a trig point here but it seemed to be next to the service res which was barriered off due to being a construction site. So I sploshed down yet another sodden and slurry filled track, the last GR nearly in site. I rejoined the Devon once more on a nice trail...

GR10 (at last) The Devils Mill - no mill, just a local name for the large gorge the Devon drops through here.

Rumbling Bridge - or two bridges! I've been over this hundreds of times but I don't often have a nosy at the gorge these days.
So that was it. A few miles of cycleway, trail and backroad got me home just after 2. I'd done 145k with 2500m of climbing in about 12 hours of riding. As with last year I enjoyed the whole thing - plotting the GR's working out various ways of bagging them and then riding it all. The bike was absolutely filthy, thanks to the extreme wetness of this winter but as usual it was flawless. Just as I finished washing it, the rain came on. I'm now somewhat wrecked, lazing on the sofa eating and drinking....

Cheers to Gecko for coming up with the GR's - they made a good solid challenge of a route, plenty of ace riding and a few new corners in my gaff I'd not been to before. Also cheers to Shaff for organising :-bd
gecko76

Re: Shaff's Alternative Winter Event, mud and hills...

Post by gecko76 »

You got the lot! Colour me impressed. Glad you enjoyed it, and well done. Enjoyed the write up a lot.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Nice1 for the writeup and congrats on grabbing all the GRs. Eumbling Bridge... Whats that all about. Seems like one bridge is to strenthen the other!!

I'll hopefully I'll head out this week too as I reckon I have a window of opportunity and a clean/unseized bike now..
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Had to delay my attempt due to a cycling injury.Assuming one can call stubbing your toe on a, left in a stupid place, crank in the dark whilst going for an old mans sleep pee a cycling injury... My little toe is probably broken.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry to hear that John. Painful stuff. I walked a 24 miler about a month ago and think it left me with a micro/stress fracture at the front of my foot (probably just in my head though)... Better now. Hope you get well soon.