Lightweight touring rack | Tailfin? Other alternatives?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Firmo

Lightweight touring rack | Tailfin? Other alternatives?

Post by Firmo »

I'm looking to start combining touring with remote working, so I think that using a pannier is going to be the best option.

I'd like a rack that I could switch between my road bike and the gravel bike, and for this process to be as quick and easy as possible.

What are the options? Is there anything better (more convenient, lighter, more versatile, easier to install) than a Tailfin Carbon Rack?
Firmo
riderdown

Re: Lightweight touring rack | Tailfin? Other alternatives?

Post by riderdown »

I have the aeroe pannier rack, it's great, works well on my mtb's and transfers with not too much faff, seems bullet proof

It is however hefty, and not and instant switch over, not sure whether i would be happy fitting on a lightweight carbon frame
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

An ortlieb quick rack might work for you - you’d just need a set of adapters for each bike and then switching over is painless according to all the reviews
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I'm interested in hearing more on the logistics of integrating touring and remote working - how are you going to make that work?
rivers

Post by rivers »

I have a Tailfin Aeropack, though the aluminium version and a selection of their panniers bags. It is hands down the best investment I've made for my bike. I use it daily for commuting, plus on trips throughout the year. And it's a doddle to swap between bikes.
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

What type of bike do you use this on?
What was the total spend for the rack and bag/s?
If you have a photo of the setup, could you share it?
rivers wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:10 pm I have a Tailfin Aeropack, though the aluminium version and a selection of their panniers bags. It is hands down the best investment I've made for my bike. I use it daily for commuting, plus on trips throughout the year. And it's a doddle to swap between bikes.
Firmo
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

I live in Málaga so the weather is decent pretty much all year round. I often rent out my apartment for short periods, which then pays for me to travel and rent other places in different locations, but while I am away, I often miss having the bike.

So I was thinking of taking regular 'breaks' where I disappear on the bike. Accommodation in interior Spain is very cheap so I could rent accommodation as I go, work from cafes, and occasionally camp out. Finding a balance between work and touring could be a challenge, so I suppose I'd set an unambitious goal to spend 3-4 hours on the bike each day, depending on volume of work and daylight hours.
rudedog wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:50 pm I'm interested in hearing more on the logistics of integrating touring and remote working - how are you going to make that work?
Firmo
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

Thanks. I remember looking at this rack before. The difference in price between this and the Tailfin makes it more appealing. I see they have the Quick Rack Light as well, which could work well too.
PaulB2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:32 pm An ortlieb quick rack might work for you - you’d just need a set of adapters for each bike and then switching over is painless according to all the reviews
Firmo
rivers

Post by rivers »

Firmo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:17 pm What type of bike do you use this on?
rivers wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:10 pm I have a Tailfin Aeropack, though the aluminium version and a selection of their panniers bags. It is hands down the best investment I've made for my bike. I use it daily for commuting, plus on trips throughout the year. And it's a doddle to swap between bikes.
I use it regularly on my Orro Terra C for commuting and bikepacking, my road bike for commuting, and I've even stuck it on my TT bike when I head straight from work to a mid-week TT (taking it off the bike and swapping out for the normal axle pre-race of course). I'll stick some photos on Google drive and post a link
I bought everything at separate times and most of my bags were gifts from family, but all in for the aeropack, 2 x 22 litre UD panniers, 2 x 10 litre, and 2 x 5 litre, you're looking around £850. But for the aeropack and 2 x 22 litre, you're looking at around £550
rivers

Post by rivers »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Chy95BUzuGyqt2z29

I'll get a few more once I'm home
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

Nice setup. Not cheap though, eh!?
Thanks for the info and photos, much appreciated.
rivers wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:36 pm
Firmo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:17 pm What type of bike do you use this on?
I use it regularly on my Orro Terra C for commuting and bikepacking, my road bike for commuting, and I've even stuck it on my TT bike when I head straight from work to a mid-week TT (taking it off the bike and swapping out for the normal axle pre-race of course). I'll stick some photos on Google drive and post a link
I bought everything at separate times and most of my bags were gifts from family, but all in for the aeropack, 2 x 22 litre UD panniers, 2 x 10 litre, and 2 x 5 litre, you're looking around £850. But for the aeropack and 2 x 22 litre, you're looking at around £550
Firmo
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

I have an Ortleib Quick Rack on my gravel bike.
I use a 10 litre Gill Race Team waterproof bag secured with Rok Straps.
I think the total cost for everything was about 100 quid or thereabouts?
You can find a pic of the setup on my Bivvy a Month for January 2024 :grin:
ton

Post by ton »

back in the day i used to use a Tubus Fly stainless steel rack. very light and very strong.
a only secured via 3 bolts. so less than 2 minutes to swap between bikes.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m5b0s79p481 ... nnier-Rack
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Tortec ultra lite works well for me.
Easy to fit, robust enough for anything my bike can do off road (with 38mm tyres).
Can take panniers and the platform is big enough to put bags on top.

They're less than £30, so not a big expenditure to try it out.

Would recommend Ortlieb gravel panniers too. They are more expensive though!