Routes near Elgin?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Stinginglip

Routes near Elgin?

Post by Stinginglip »

Hi all, I just found out today that I'm going picking a vehicle up from Elgin in the Highlands. I'm considering taking the bike with me as once the deal is sorted, I'm kinda free to do as i please.
Is there anything decent close to Elgin, or do I just head for Aviemore? Never rode anywhere in the Highlands and only really know of the bigger loops. I'm not after anything major, 4-5hrs max, anyone recommend owt?
fatbikephil

Re: Routes near Elgin?

Post by fatbikephil »

Tons.
A good circuit would be the Moray coastal trail east - all very nice - mix of sandy singletrack and woodsy, sandy singletrack, plus the beach. Mostly well signed and fab views across the bay. Spey bay to Craigellachie on the Speyside way is easy and pleasant. There is a trail centre in Ordeiquish forest just S of Fochabers - mostly dull but the 'soup dragon' is fun.

From Craigellachie head northish across the A95 and into the woods to pick up a track that runs west from Rothes through the woods to Mannoch hill and on across the Dallas to Knockando road, keep west on doubletrack (all obvious on the map) to the Dava way, north up this for a short cut or you could bag the River Findhorn singletrack from Relugas, past Logie craft centre (good cafe) and on down a fab (and sometimes hairy) trail above the river to Sluie, fight your way back up on the main road and then choose various forest racks back to Forres, then back along the coastal trail to Elgin. Lots of variations through the woods.

Monaughty wood and the Hill of the Wangie both are on trail forks for a bit of natural singletrack. If you are picking up any roads, choose with care - the B roads north of the A96 can be quite busy with MOD traffic, the A96 should be avoided at all costs but the A940 and 941 are largely empty. C and D roads generally very quiet.

Trails generally very dry and weather pretty goo up that way too.