Recommend me a tent (2 person, ~£300)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jack

Recommend me a tent (2 person, ~£300)

Post by Jack »

I'm after a recommendation for a tent. I'm normally a bivy/tarp/hammock camper so I'm not so up on the tent world, but my wife and I are looking to get out this year camping/backpacking together.

Constraints:
- 2 person, ideally on the roomier side
- £300 max
- Semi or freestanding
- Ideally under 2kg
- Up to 3 season UK hill/mountain conditions

I was looking at a Marmot Tungsten UL 2P that Trekkit had marked down 50% to £290 but unfortunately dithered too much and now it's gone back up in price.

Any suggestions? Cheers
FLV

Re: Recommend me a tent (2 person, ~£300)

Post by FLV »

MSR ELixr 2 is very roomy. Mine has been robust without needing a footprint. 2.27kg. Not tiny pack size.

Same ish design as Hubba Hubba but heavier materials.

My only other recent 2 man tent experience is a Nordisk telemark 2, which I love but is too expensive and not roomy for 1 full size human :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.summits.co.uk/product/force ... tent-2023/
£20 over but I suspect you'll be able to get one for under £300 from somewhere. Friends have used the predecessor (nitro plus) for 15 years and it's still going strong. The roomy porch is fab for getting out of wet gear and cooking in (As well as allowing a single friend to sit in for meal times :grin: ) Pitches outer first and extremely weather proof. I've got a nitro (i.e same as the standard xenon) and it's also been used in a range of excessively bad weather. The porch is small but inside the tent is plenty roomy.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

SP have the Big Agnes Salt Creek SL2 reduced to £180 (RRP is £400)

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/3087019

I haven't tried this tent but BA are known to be very generous when it comes to sizing.

They also have the Tiger Wall 2 platinum reduced down to £370 (RRP £800) if you want to go ultralight - a two man tent at just over 1kg :shock: