What is the ultimate shelter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BridlewayBimbler

What is the ultimate shelter

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

In the esteemed opinion of members, what is the ultimate bikepacking shelter?

Thanks in advance. :-bd
Hyppy

Re: What is the ultimate shelter

Post by Hyppy »

camper-collage.jpg
camper-collage.jpg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 525 times
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've tried most one person tents and bivi shelters. I still have several.

It's hard to look past the SMD Lunar Solo for all but the nastiest weather.

A MLD Duomid for winter use.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Whichever one you get put up before it rains...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

A Durston?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I imagine that the answer is as numerous as the people who use them and the attitudes they have. As Rich says, the Lunar Solo is very popular and ticks most of the boxes people have. For me however, the SMD Gatewood Cape probably wins as it's considerably lighter, packs smaller and as it's only a canopy can be erected in spots with limited space.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Don't forget the environment/climate that you're using them in. For me in a place that is usually mild/warm and dry with occasional biblical rain storms with dry sandy and rocky terrain, a tarp with borah bivvy to keep the bugs out is plenty. I understand why some would want the perceived security of a tent to keep the wildlife out but for me this is a what you can't see can't hurt you situation but there's not much out there that's going to attack you. If a wild boar takes against you, 2 layers of nylon aren't going to help.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Aside from the joys of canvas (or very thin plastic as it now is), I like the thought of basic 'found' shelter that meets all your needs. Impromptu stuff abounds in the UK with barns and derelict buildings etc. But nothing beats the Scandi system of wilderness shelters in the woods. Like a basic Finnish Laavu, 3 sides and an open fire, enough to get snug and survive the elements. I've not used one, but i'd love to off road tour in these areas.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Beyond my facetious first response, I'm a SMD Gatewood Cape user too. I've only ever used it with the Serenity Ultralight NetTent, but other than for keeping midges at bay am not sure that's necessary or even has a high enough denier to act as a true inner double-wall. Does anyone know the science re that?

As Stu alludes to, the Gatewood Cape is a real flexible bit of kit.
faustus wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:27 am … I like the thought of basic 'found' shelter that meets all your needs. Impromptu stuff abounds in the UK with barns and derelict buildings etc. …
I like this too. On a ride, no matter how short, I'm forever scoping out potential shelters just-in-case, from posh 'audax hotel' bus shelters thru abandoned farm machinery to natural rock formations. You never know when they'll come in handy.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

All mod cons and baby changing facilities too!

Slightly less salubrious but surprisingly cosy....

At the other end of the scale but surprisingly weather proof and V light. (Wildsky DCF tarp, BB lightweight pole and Borah gear bivvy bag - 500g's inc pegs)

Best allrounder - SMD Deschutes - 850gs with the mesh inner or 750 with the borah bivvy inc. BB pole and pegs. More flexible than the Lunar solo and better in wet weather plus pretty bomb proof.

This remains a 5 star option though...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Another vote for the found shelter option. If bikepacking is about lightweight minimalism (a big if, but for the sake of the point) then a bivi bag only approach and hoping to find shelter when you need cover is the lightest and most minimal. Also I like the wing-it attitude, it guarantees the element of luck coming into things more than usual, plus the mental games of weather watching and should I stop here, should I carry on and hope.. Never a dull trip. Often a damp trip too : )

Not always a sensible choice though so for shelters you take with you, I do like the Gatewood Cape. A tad small for me but a great coverage:weight ratio. That or a 1.5 x 2.5m tarp.

Thinking about found shelters, it's part of why I like repeating routes or riding in the same general area again. I seem to have a good memory for barns, covered areas in municipal areas or hiker shelters. I've used the 'hotel Schauinsland', a hiker shelter on top of a hill in Germany, 3 times now. The forest shelters in Scandinavia look great.