Sleeping Socks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Sleeping Socks

Post by Boab »

I've been having cold feet issues while sleeping on the last few BAMs. Rather than going out and splunking £49, £79, £120, or even £149 on some down booties, I thought I might try some thicker socks first.

Anyone used any of these socks that appear to come with a TOG rating...? Such as, but probably not limited to:
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
benp1

Re: Sleeping Socks

Post by benp1 »

I've used heat holders in the past. OK, not fantastic but not bad

Moved to Montane fireball booties - warmer and pack smaller. Not sure about weight but doubt there's much in it. Used as hut boots and sleeping socks

edit - called footies, not booties
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Alss used the montanes. IME greatb f your feet are warm ( or not freezing) but wont really change ice cold feet*to toastie as you try to sleep

* cold feet is all i suffer from so may be worse than most
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Would you not be better with just a thick pair of socks - woolie boolies or smartwool? If it's just in a tent they don't need 'soles' like the booties have. That's what I've done and I get terribly cold feet. Shoving a heat pack in the end of the bag is my desperate measure for generating heat in frozen tootsies...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Definetly warmer than a warm pair of 0socks.( will be wearing those as well )
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

My answer to cold feet is a hot water bottle (actually, a small platypus bottle) and dry socks. Half fill with cold water (not the socks :grin: )then top up with hot. I find I can’t get to sleep with cold feet, but once they’re warm, they stay warm. As an extra bonus, the water still has some heat in the morning so it's pre-heated for my morning cuppa.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hello Bob. My two pence is to get a hot water bottle or something with some nice merino in. If you wish, I can send you my warmest Tekos to try out. They're warm enough on a normal day that I try not to wear them. In zero degrees and they're fanstastic.

Very nice and kinda make a non-grippy warm membrane around the feet. Just like what bedtime socks (I'd imagine) feel like but without as much bulk. They're a large/xl though so if small feet they might be a bit loose fitting (which is even better for bedtimes socks).

Sorry for the 'lend you some socks' option. Don't mean to offend (as my dad got slightly offended when I told him to take my Tekos, when trying out his own new shiny ones but in different flavours).
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

I use Heat Holders to sleep in when its cold and really like them, but then I don't especially suffer with cold feet. I have a friend who uses them as well and does suffer from cold feet and now uses them on Duke of Edinburgh as well.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.