A wee whisky appreciation thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

A wee whisky appreciation thread.

Post by boxelder »

Christmas was good to me on the whisky front and it's awakened my appreciation of the wicked spirit. I'm not aware of a whisky thread, so thought I'd cast about for fellow dram drinkers opinions.
Santa brought me three bottles, bless him: Old Pulteney 12yr, Bunnahabhain 12 yr and a Hearach (first bottling) from the new distillery on Harris.
The Old Pulteney is (was 🤪) easy drinking and with my brother helping out, didn't see much of the new year. The Hearach is unopened, as it seems to be worth a couple of '00 quid. It's the Bunnahabhain that prompted my post - for a low to mid price single malt, it has a lot going for it. I've since bought a (reduced price) bottle of their 10yr Stiuireadair, which is more akin to the Old Pulteney, but 'with bells on'. Is it the extra 6.3% and lack of cold filtering that makes it better??
What else should I be sampling?
Others I've enjoyed - Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, Laphroaig not so much, Jura (though supermarket's seem to stock less pleasing variants these days), Arran 12yr, Talisker. I'm not big on Speyside and have really enjoyed Highland Park when I was younger, but it was disappointing recently.
Recommendations?
gecko76

Re: A wee whisky appreciation thread.

Post by gecko76 »

I was introduced to Bowmore many years ago and it's still my favourite, along with Ledaig which has recently come on the market again.

Had three Bowmore miniatures last year which were 12, 15 and 18 year olds I think. The difference was striking.
Last edited by gecko76 on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I was looking at Ledaig tonight - 60% though 😵‍💫.
Bowmore - good call. Never had a bottle, but have enjoyed samples.
The variety and subtleties of different ages/finishes is intriguing. It's a bit like cheese 😆 《wanders off to the fridge》
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

60% will be one of their specials. I wouldn't know about that.

This is good, if you've not seen it.

https://youtu.be/T_SaUGyPgyk?si=x10iM0SZzX1yHwzF
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I'm usually a Laphroaig drinker, but have recently been given a bottle of Machrie Moor from Arran which is really lovely. Doesn't have the medicinal notes of Laphroaig, but still peaty and in keeping with the other you have named. Maybe worth trying some nice Irish ones too?
Last edited by PaulE on Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Good thread!

Amongst others, got a bottle of 13yr Craigellachie at Christmas, but i'm struggling to pull myself away from the Lochnagar as it's so easy to drink! :d
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Caol Isla and Ledaig have been our standard go to malts. Pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum! Cath did buy me a bottle of Kelpie - one of the annual specials from the Ardbeg distillery - sadly we've now finished it.

One that I've had recommended to me is Dalwhinnie.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Judderman

Post by Judderman »

Ardbeg all the way for me, all varieties.
I keep trying others but always go back to it.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Balvenie Doublewood introduced me to really good whisky.
I do like a Talisker.

But I currently have drifted West .... slowly working my way through the Irish Whiskey offerings.
Some will poo poo them but they're so much easier to drink ... tried Paddy's, Powers, Jameson's (various), Bushmills (various), Tullamore Dew, Slane ..... Paddy's is surprisingly good at £17 a bottle ... keep an eye on Amazon's Whisky Deal of the Day... some of the different Jameson's are excellent ... Stout Edition & Black Barrel :-bd
Hoping for a bottle of Redbreast for my birthday but doubt it'll happen. Or a Green Spot.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

My brother now living in Dublin means I've received Irish whiskeys for the last couple of birthdays, Redbreast last year and Green Spot this. My faves are generally...
- Big peaty feckers: Lagavullin, Laphroaig, Springbank (Campbeltown), Bunnahabhain
- "Pudding" whiskies (sweeter, more rounded): Redbreast, Penderyn
- All-rounders: Mackmyra (Sweden), Deanston, honourable mention for the seemingly no-longer-available BNJ
- Something different for the hipflask: Armagnac, Calvados
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

BNJ was indeed lovely. Black Bottle is a good blend of Islay malts including Bunnahabhain, or so I read once.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

One that I've had recommended to me is Dalwhinnie.
Yep, enjoyed in the past. I remember it as being somewhere between a Speyside and Talisker style Highland, which I guess makes sense geographically.
Sainsbury's own TTD brand Highland single malt isn't far off a standard Talisker to be fair. The Sainsbury's malts are from Whyte and Mackay who blend malts sourced from "the finest aged single malts and aged grain whiskies from two of Scotland's most famous distilling regions, Highland and Speyside"
I've enjoyed Penderyn recently when given a gift pack of three varieties.
Off to fill a hip flask for tonight's planned BAM
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Convincing people that the taste for whisky is something worth acquiring must be one of the greatest marketing stunts ever pulled :grin:
faustus

Post by faustus »

I lost my 'taste' for whiskey a couple of years ago, and i'm not sure why. I used to enjoy a very small tipple in the evening every now and then, but it got to the point that it just felt like reflux every time so I stopped. I used to like a Penderyn, Doublewood, Monkey Shoulder...single malts but not peaty. We have an excellent independent booze shop in town which is great for trying out new stuff (including miniatures), and I miss shopping in there! The only time i've had some recently has been from a friends hip flask, and that was good. Perhaps I just need to drink it from a hip flask, and get out on bivvies a bit more, as it all tastes nice when you're outside! :-bd
godivatrailrider

faustus wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:27 pm I lost my 'taste' for whiskey a couple of years ago, and i'm not sure why. I used to enjoy a very small tipple in the evening every now and then, but it got to the point that it just felt like reflux every time so I stopped. I used to like a Penderyn, Doublewood, Monkey Shoulder...single malts but not peaty. We have an excellent independent booze shop in town which is great for trying out new stuff (including miniatures), and I miss shopping in there! The only time i've had some recently has been from a friends hip flask, and that was good. Perhaps I just need to drink it from a hip flask, and get out on bivvies a bit more, as it all tastes nice when you're outside! :-bd
Maybe just try something super easy ... and I whole heartedly recommend this ... https://amzn.eu/d/9Uuy9bV .. ok it's not fancy or testing , but damn it's smooth and tbh cheap.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Ardnamurchan bloody lovely stuff
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ten Year Old Talisker under the Barter tree. Irony was I had van camped next the the distillery a few weeks previously
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm nearing the end of a bottle of Ardmore which has been very enjoyable.
My wife won't touch whisky unless it's like chewing on a hunk of peat, so we've got two bottles of Ardbeg and a bottle of Laphroaig in too.
I don't drink very much (mainly bivvying tbh!), but stocks are running a little low... I might actually have to buy some, which is much less fun than being given it :roll:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A mate of mine works for the Ballindalloch distillery - buy a barrel for a mere £10k. Funny thing is, they are selling like hot cakes but likely that most won't be drunk. We were both of the view that the whole 'commodity' thing is putting us off being part of the whisky thang. I've drunk plenty over the years but I have started to wonder about drinking something that's been mouldering in an old bourbon barrel for 20 years... usually when I've had a couple too many and got a shocker of a headache the next morning!

Anyway, I still like it but after trying many, these days I can't see past Tamnavuillin for £22 a bottle from the Co-op. It's probably only 3 or 4 years matured, gets chill filtered and colour matched but it tastes nice.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not sure where I picked up a taste for whisky but it's well-enough known that I got a Glen Scotia, a Talisker 10 and a Laphroaig 10 at Christmas :-bd
I bought a Jonnie Walker Black Label in Tescos for £22 not long ago, that's good for the money, slightly Islay/peaty but subtle. I was having drinks in Taiwan once when a supplier bought a bottle of JW Blue to the table, turns out I was the only one there who actually liked whisky .. expensive stuff but lovely. I had a bit more than I should have.
I think my favourite so far is an Aberlour Abunath cask strength, I bought a couple of bottles almost10 years ago and opened the second last year. Quite a sherry/xmas pudding kind of taste, excellent with some water.
BNJ was a great blended whisky, I used to get that in the local supermarket then it dissappeared. I had a Chivas Regal red, some edition, that was excellent. Those and the JW Black making me realise the single malt thing isn't so important. I have a Highland Park Dragon Breath which I think is a blend? That's very nice too.

I went to the Penderyn distillery briefly on a trip a couple of years ago and bought a miniature for that night's bivi, liked it enough to buy a bottle next time I saw it on offer. Not tried Irish whiskey though, might go for one of the ones recommended here. I do like bourbon too, Maker's Mark and Woodford, but haven't drunk Jack Daniels since a student era night with tea mugs full of the stuff and a grim morning afterwards :grin:
I've wanted to try some of the Asian whiskies I see in the duty free in Taiwan but generally don't go with checked-in bags. Maybe worth planning ahead for that next time. I was told Kavalan (the Jonnie Walker of Taiwan) isn't great but that's just one person's opinion.

PS the Ti hip flask Joe's shop had (has?) is good, rounded and easy to pack, 150ml is good for sharing on an overnighter or does a 3-4 day trip.. ymmv etc..
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Mmmm....Ben Riach 21. Yum : )
Had a nice Tomintoul with mum at xmas just gone. I'd go that again.
Bruichladdich The Laddie 22yo unpeated....yes please!

Greetz

S : )
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

jameso wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:40 am I went to the Penderyn distillery briefly on a trip a couple of years ago and bought a miniature for that night's bivi, liked it enough to buy a bottle next time I saw it on offer. Not tried Irish whiskey though, might go for one of the ones recommended here. I do like bourbon too, Maker's Mark and Woodford, but haven't drunk Jack Daniels since a student era night with tea mugs full of the stuff and a grim morning afterwards :grin:
I've wanted to try some of the Asian whiskies I see in the duty free in Taiwan but generally don't go with checked-in bags. Maybe worth planning ahead for that next time. I was told Kavalan (the Jonnie Walker of Taiwan) isn't great but that's just one person's opinion.
I've never tried Penderyn, but keep meaning to... I'll look out for offers.

I've tried a few Japanese whiskies and found them rather pale and underwhelming, although I do tend to prefer the smoky/Islay type of flavours so your tastes may differ. Main positive was being able to do Bill Murray "Make it Suntory Time" impressions while drinking it!
Loki

Post by Loki »

I have been becoming a real fan of Old Poultney, distilled in the village my father in law was from, wish I could enjoy a dram or two, sadly while I am on my meds I cannot drink, almost willing to risk a seizure for a dram lol
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
godivatrailrider

PaulE wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:43 am
jameso wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:40 am I went to the Penderyn distillery briefly on a trip a couple of years ago and bought a miniature for that night's bivi, liked it enough to buy a bottle next time I saw it on offer. Not tried Irish whiskey though, might go for one of the ones recommended here. I do like bourbon too, Maker's Mark and Woodford, but haven't drunk Jack Daniels since a student era night with tea mugs full of the stuff and a grim morning afterwards :grin:
I've never tried Penderyn, but keep meaning to... I'll look out for offers.

I've tried a few Japanese whiskies and found them rather pale and underwhelming, although I do tend to prefer the smoky/Islay type of flavours so your tastes may differ. Main positive was being able to do Bill Murray "Make it Suntory Time" impressions while drinking it!
I had a bottle of Penderyn and just couldn't get on with it ... not sure why .... the only bottle of whisky I've ever given away :???:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

150ml is good for sharing on an overnighter or does a 3-4 day trip.. ymmv etc..
Reminds me of a little trip I did with a friend, some notes from my journal:

Day 1
...Nearly half-way now, and we paused for a dram.
Day 2
We were both feeling surprisingly chipper, despite the casualties of last night numbering one bottle of wine, and one of whisky*...
...As we set off to Killiecranky, we spied a whisky and gin emporium, which offered two free tasters, followed by the option of further drams at £1 each (all proceeds to charity). After a nice chat and a couple of snifters, we left with a bottle of Hamilton’s Highland. Not the most complex of beasts, but a good camping whisky (owt that tastes good out of a tin mug). Up the road a respectful distance from the shop, and we transferred our bounty into more lightweight carriers**. Unfortunately, we didn’t have quite enough capacity, so had to drink some there and then. Such things are the hard reality of bike touring…

*A bottle of BNJ of memory serves...
**500ml capacity soft flask, meaning we simply had to polish off 200ml of the stuff before heading on our way.