OT: Morocco - hillwalking?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

yourguitarhero

OT: Morocco - hillwalking?

Post by yourguitarhero »

Hello, a little off-topic but thinking there should be some people on here a little more widely-travelled than I.

My pal and I have booked cheap flights to Morocco at the end of the month for a week
The general plan is to hire a car, do a bit of a road trip. Sometimes stay in a hostel/hotel and sometimes to camp - were going to take tents/bivvies (TBC).

We did talk about doing some hiking/hillwalking in the Atlas mountains.
I was wondering if anyone had been before and could recommend anything? Either a day hike or take the tents and sleep somewhere up in the mountains.

Was also wondering about the weather in the mountains at this time of year?
Rasta

Re: OT: Morocco - hillwalking?

Post by Rasta »

I have hiked in the Toubkal region and summit. Also 3 bike trips (2 posted on here).
If it is a week of hiking you want, then you may have to use a guide in that area due to the girls getting beheaded. (I started my trip the day after!). Also winter conditions now.

If it was me with a car. Drive to the top of Tiz-n-test. Not if too much snow. Camp or refuge/cafe at col. Or drop down south side a few km to the first hotel. The south side descent is one of the best in the world by bike. Then head into the desert for a few days.
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Can you link to your bike trips? I have searched previously nd not found much.

I am looking at a week next Feb, 5 days riding.
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Can you link to your bike trips? I have searched previously nd not found much.
Here's a bikepacking trip I did with a friend back in 2016:
https://cyclocaust.blogspot.com/2016/11 ... l.html?m=1

It was a mostly mix of singletrack and gravel roads. We had to alter the plan halfway through after we realized the initial route we'd planned would be a nightmare when we saw the pass.

It's an excellent place to ride, we couldn't have asked for a better trip. No clue about conditions, could well be treacherous and snowy in the high mountains. In late October it was damn near perfect.

If you're looking to plan a trip, I'd check out paths around Asni and Imlil, lots of vaguely exciting parents round there. I can also recommend an excellent hiking guide, but I'm not sure if he does day hikes or longer treks only.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

anagallis_arvensis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:03 pm Can you link to your bike trips? I have searched previously nd not found much.

I am looking at a week next Feb, 5 days riding.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... co#p306117

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... ta+Morocco

I had a rack and panniers on one trip, so not on here.
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

That's really great, thanks
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Thanks for the info, and enjoyed reading about people's trips there.
Have starred a few places in Google Maps to visit.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Hello, am back from my holiday.
In the end, we didn't camp at all. Rooms in nice (if basic) Riads/hotels were about £20 a night between the two of us...

We also didn't do much hiking in the end, a couple of 2 or 3 hour ones. We were travelling to different towns each day.

Can definitely see the appeal of cycling there. The people are very friendly, and while the driving is a little chaotic, there are lots of mopeds, donkeys etc on the road so folk seem used to dealing with slow movers whilst driving.
This time of year would be perfect - mid 20s during the day and about 6 or 7c at night. Camping would be easy, but so would staying in hotels and taking less kit on your bike..... the ultimate TLS?