Dales Divide whilst fasting!!

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Dales Divide whilst fasting!!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Studpid question I know. But the entries for the DD2024 have just been opened. Problem is that for the past couple of years it's always been during the month of Ramadhan (fasting; before dusk, until dawn, including no water, one of the pillars of our religion). This year again it overlaps and next year its probably gonna overlap with eid (right at the end of the month of fasting... a celebratory day or two).

Thing is, I think I'm getting itchy feet and wonder whether the folks that have done it think it might be a feasable route to complete almost completely in the hours of darkness. Or something like that... or if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears (missing fasting isn't an option).

Again, I think I know the answer is to just wait another year or 2... Or, is there anything else similar that's not as gnarly as the Lakes events!!
gecko76

Re: Dales Divide whilst fasting!!

Post by gecko76 »

I know you said missing fasting isn't an option but, genuine question, is it possible to defer a couple of days? Or is that just for health reasons?
redefined_cycles

I know you said missing fasting isn't an option but, genuine question, is it possible to defer a couple of days? Or is that just for health reasons?
Yes, for health reasons for some people it'd be enforced foe them to not be fasting. In other words, they're not allowed as it would be detrimental to the health and/or risk death. But I doubt them folks would be contemplating a Dales Divide :smile:

Not sad at missing it as such (not as much as I would be at missing my fasting) but I just wondered if there was a way of riding/fasting that I'd not explored. For reference, I've been riding fasted for many years but something this epic would probbaly mean a different strategy. Like maybe one day riding alot of the day, but the next one riding most of the evening/night to get back up the calories/fluids etc.

Might be pushing the boat a bit much though Gecko..
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Thanks for that. Huge respect. Can't help with the Dales Divide but I fasted for one day with my students at the start of Ramadan last year and that was an eye opener. Late afternoon I found myself driving with no idea where I was supposed to be going.
redefined_cycles

gecko76 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:39 pm Thanks for that. Huge respect. Can't help with the Dales Divide but I fasted for one day with my students at the start of Ramadan last year and that was an eye opener. Late afternoon I found myself driving with no idea where I was supposed to be going.
:lol: That's just the first few days. Body gets used to it and starts doing all the clever things yo stop that from happening in the following days. Your brain was probably slightly starved of the sugar. Huge respect for that btw :-bd
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Like maybe one day riding alot of the day, but the next one riding most of the evening/night to get back up the calories/fluids etc.
Could this work? A Sudanese colleague always maintained that Ramadan shouldn't interfere with work or study, but I think he stopped playing football for the month. It makes me laugh that my students complain about putting on weight because the food is so good and plentiful once the sun sets. At least the days are getting shorter now as it moves forward in the year. Summer must have been hard.
redefined_cycles

gecko76 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:55 pm
Like maybe one day riding alot of the day, but the next one riding most of the evening/night to get back up the calories/fluids etc.
Could this work?
Not sure. Hence why I thought to get the input of those that have done it for a few years. Not too technical I think. But soggy!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Long distance rides and not eating wont really work ( or wont for me )

Dont think i could do much beyond 4 hours (.@ a quicknpace ) without food.

Do it at another time of the year ?
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:44 pm Long distance rides and not eating wont really work ( or wont for me )

Dont think i could do much beyond 4 hours (.@ a quicknpace ) without food.

Do it at another time of the year ?
Tanks John. Wise words. Wouldn't/don't go at a quick pace whilst fasted but you're right. It's the multi days that would probably stress me over and above...

Will have to just wait another year or so. Ta all...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

The route's always there, you could do it as an ITT once Ramadan is over? Could be good prep for a year when you can make a mass start.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The only way I could see it working would be to wake at 4am and eat, start day 1 and ride 'til you fall, sleep 'til dark and then eat and go until you flop. This would cause a few problems:
You'd be trying to sleep during daylight
You'd be at your post feed freshest while it's dark and harder to ride/navigate.
You'd probably need to ride twice as fast as an average 3 day finisher, unless you can ride having not eaten for several hours.
I'd say it's a non-starter.
What about the North York Moors 300 in July? Similar riding, but feast, not fast :-bd
redefined_cycles

Yes, NYM300 sounds a good one. I'll keep an eye on it. ITT of the DD route also seems reasonable an option (thanks both)...
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

I had stomach issues last year and couldn't eat enough on the first day..as the temperature dropped at night I had zero power and couldn't generate any heat even will all my layers on riding...result=in a right state and a scratch. Food in = Miles out. It's a firm no from me :lol:
redefined_cycles

:lol: I've had similar issues with heat production previously on a multi-day. But it was road and shorter days so not as much a biggie :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

i reckon it is possible Shaf but you'd need to train your body for it. It's a process which can take a while and isn't always pleasant.

Might be worth chatting to Richard Shaf.
May the bridges you burn light your way