Orange MTB Bikes going into administration

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Orange MTB Bikes going into administration

Post by psling »

After the weekend at the WE have come home to the news that Orange MTB Bikes are going into administration :|
Hopefully can be saved; most of us of a certain age are likely to have had/ridden one of their MTBs and I know some of us here currently do.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Re: Orange MTB Bikes going into administration

Post by whitestone »

Sad news. About 20 years ago I had an EVO4 hardtail, a nice responsive bike.

Doesn't appear to be an isolated case - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-67902540 - job losses at Raleigh.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That's a real shame, I had a patriot and a 5 - the patriot was a cracking bike on which I rode many crazy downhills. In fact it's remains are still in the loft! They never got great reviews though as the testers always moaned about the single pivot suspension, ignoring the fact a pair of swing arm bearings were £20 which was all you needed to change every few years.... Personally I thought it was the business and never got the whole issue with pedal induced bobbing about!

It would be nice to think someone steps in to take them on but there is a pattern emerging here....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

A sad day for British mountain biking. Thanks for sharing Peter :cry:
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

It would be nice to think someone steps in to take them on but there is a pattern emerging here
There is a pattern of cycle industry companies being sold by their founders and then going into administration
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:58 pm It would be nice to think someone steps in to take them on but there is a pattern emerging here....
IIRC the bike firm was bought out by the company that made the UK sheet metal bikes. Hopefully it's just the bike side and not the whole firm that's in trouble.