Fat Fighters '24. The year for deflation!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Fat Fighters '24. The year for deflation!

Post by Moder-dye »

Ok, I'll start it off, though I'm embarrassed to make public the heaviest I have ever been.

In my defense I've had a sub standard time of it mentally and physically, but feel like I'm coming round a bit with a second more reassuring opinion on my heart issue, and getting a new consultant for my wrist issues, and steroid injections, though they've worn off and I can't get more until may, though atleast I can get more :-bd Knees are still buggered and still managing CFS and my first bout of covid in November hasn't helped that. Did I mention waiting for OSA assessment and also ENT due to conductive hearing loss in my good ear ? If I had a dog....

But Old Sparky my converted HT ebike is still rolling and I've just bought a better tarp for my hammock :cool:

Ok weight... I weighed in last Friday, in pounds :shock: So log your starting weight, and weigh in this Friday in whatever units you prefer. It's not a competition, just some where to log your progress so we don't need to all use the same units.

05/01/2024: 279lbs Goal 200lbs, good for my build.
redefined_cycles

Re: Fat Fighters '24. The year for deflation!

Post by redefined_cycles »

I've been a bit rubbish in the past months. Weight shot up to almost 88kg. Slowly getting it back down a 100g at a time. I'll be making use of this thread thanks for opening ME.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

As ever , weight sneaks up over winter ... and doesn't seem to drop much in the summer
Hit a bit of a high after Christmas :oops: 15st 10.5lb /220 lb / 100kg :sad:

Haven't had any alcohol so far this year, though might be forced into having one tonight, will try to swerve it..
Doing a keto based diet, I'm used to it.
Avoiding bad carbs.
my weigh in is a Weds and yesterday I was 15st 5lb /215lb / 97.72kg

1st Jan 15st 10.5lb /220 lb / 100kg
10th Jan 15st 5lb /215lb / 97.72kg

I'm trying to encourage my exceedingly large son (Moder-dye, he's double you :shock: :sad: X_X ) to get back on board, and eventually on a bike which I've offered to buy. Initially he's done very well down a stone already, but he isn't good at sticking with it. I just don't know how to encourage him without nagging.
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers for the company guys :-bd

Godivatrailrider good luck with your son, my son has managed to lose a fair bit since the summer and apparently is now at 12stone at 16yo, large frame like me. Nearly killed me for a while trying to go to the village gym with him as I'm just not so physically able at times, but now he's going himself reasonably regularly. He's just been going on the bikes and treadmills (has ditched the weights) of late and watching YouTube while on them, but atleast its some activity! Still seems allergic to actual riding outside despite being able to use my ebike. Trying to persuade him to go to a free olympic lifting trial session at a strongman/oly/power lifting gym in the nearer town, but not sure it'll happen.

I'll be happy if I can get back down to 90kg/14 stone as that's about right for me, and my knees will be happy too. Any lower is a bit unrealistic long term for me.
ton

Post by ton »

21 stone 4lbs here. which to be honest, i am ok with.
last year was a stonking year on the bike, topping just over 6000 miles.

if more riding means a bit of weight loss, all good then. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Haven't had any alcohol so far this year,
Indeed that's very well done.
though might be forced into having one tonight
Don't ever let anyone force you into screwing over your liver. Stay firm and strong and you'll also be a shining example for your littel un! Lots of evidence to prove it swerves our kids after seeing how/what we do...

My ex best mate/cousin is now probably the owner of a knackered liver. Learnt/encouraged to drink with/by him many years ago. But equally I taught/encourage him to smoke weed so am just as bad. Quit the week about 20 years prior and then ciggies about 2017 after a nasty chest/heart infection.

So, first the alcohol!! Didn't touch it after parting ways with him over 20 years ago. In the last few years I tried to get back in touch with him but each time I called he was intoxicated. Eventually gave up trying to bring him back into my life as I'm easily influenced. Alhamdulillah, not touched that crap (sorry) for long enough that I'm still reasonably healthy as I tick over the 50 year mark in a year or 3. Don't miss it one bit and only ever really have poor memories of being too pissed!

Cannabis, that really was a tough one. Probably linked to my frustrating (unknown at the time) dyslexia and was my way of mellowing out. Loved it to the core but knew it'd mess my lungs one day. Gave it up well over 12 years ago with a blip or two here n there. Stopping smoking altogether was the toughest!

Eventually weaned off smoking after 30 years of trying. Too much vaping combined with hard cycling and I eventually got a heart infection (outer 2 layers of the heart... the inner layer usually the dept of IV drug users and they don't live long after, sadly), probably from my dirty/smoky lungs. Since 2017 have battled with at least 2 pneumonias a year.

I know they were pneumonia cos I work with it. Countless (slightly smaller) chest infections and Dec til Jan of 2022/23 I told the wife this is probably my last. I was quite literally at deaths door and it (the pneumonia/chest inf) lasted almost 6 weeks or longer. Thankfully having given up after that initial stay on the coronary care unit, played it's role (again, All Praise to Allah), The One) and this December managed the Rapha500 in a one-er.

Usually the 100 milers a time, of winter riding have been leaving me worse for wear. But this December I managed a 1 degree c ride to Lndon and then that 310 miler a couple weeks later. Last time I ever smoked was when I'd met my other mate after a (full) year of abstaining. Reminded me that people like me couldn't/don't quit, so I had a 'rolly'. Drive back home of 12 miles was the hardest of my life and I've never touched again.

Additionally, I also never went to see him ever again, but no hard feelings. Sometimea you just have to let go of seemingly good friends/family for your own liver/lungs. Hope that helps....

Shafiq
godivatrailrider

ton wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:05 am 21 stone 4lbs here. which to be honest, i am ok with.
last year was a stonking year on the bike, topping just over 6000 miles.

if more riding means a bit of weight loss, all good then. :-bd
WOW !!! I'm really pleased with my 2040 Shropshire miles ... 3 times that is incredible
Loki

Post by Loki »

Desperately in need to loosing weight here, I am still nibbling though the Christmas chocolate, almost done!, I am huge right now are 338lbs, but on the upside thanks to my medication I have dry January (and 2024) nailed! I am looking at starting at the end of the month, give me time to clear the house of chocolate so I can start with a clear plate.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
godivatrailrider

Moder-dye wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:34 am Cheers for the company guys :-bd

Godivatrailrider good luck with your son, my son has managed to lose a fair bit since the summer and apparently is now at 12stone at 16yo, large frame like me. Nearly killed me for a while trying to go to the village gym with him as I'm just not so physically able at times, but now he's going himself reasonably regularly. He's just been going on the bikes and treadmills (has ditched the weights) of late and watching YouTube while on them, but atleast its some activity! Still seems allergic to actual riding outside despite being able to use my ebike. Trying to persuade him to go to a free olympic lifting trial session at a strongman/oly/power lifting gym in the nearer town, but not sure it'll happen.

I'll be happy if I can get back down to 90kg/14 stone as that's about right for me, and my knees will be happy too. Any lower is a bit unrealistic long term for me.
The Boy (he's 25..) LOVES bikepacking and cycling ... really misses it .... but obviously likes food more.
He has a brand new unbuilt Bike ...Sonder Frontier frame & forks still in the box, Hope hub / Travers rim wheel set, etc but it need finishing kit. I've said when he gets to 30st I'll pay for whatever it needs... ( looking at https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-fron ... 8559157353 it'd be easier to just buy that)
We could then do pubpacking along the Montgomery canal or Mawddach or what ever. Just to get him moving and back on the bike.
redefined_cycles

Loki wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:45 am Desperately in need to loosing weight here, I am still nibbling though the Christmas chocolate, almost done!, I am huge right now are 338lbs, but on the upside thanks to my medication I have dry January (and 2024) nailed! I am looking at starting at the end of the month, give me time to clear the house of chocolate so I can start with a clear plate.
Well done Loki. You/we can do it mate :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Count me in too.

Back up to 103kg and change. This can be my first Friday, will revert to actual Fridays next week :grin:

Have / Had some valid reasons for not making progress previously, but also know exactly how to do it. Just need to commit to it really.

Target is 95 for the summer, lets say by the longest day :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

I might as well throw my hat in the ring again...

I'm not 100% sure I actually want to lose weight. I'm happy with the "weight" / number itself, but would like more of it to be due to lean muscle mass, as opposed to man boobs and squidgy parts.

11/01/2024: 89.8kg
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I only managed 3800km/2361miles last year between various health set backs with a longest distance of 67km which is very poor for me, but I struggled on.

Thankfully drinking and smoking aren't an issue for me. Motivation isn't an issue either, I've made myself worse by pushing when I should be on the sofa.

It's the mental physical health issue from not being able to work and do what I love that gets me down and means I eat too much and too much bad stuff. Hours on my own without the headspace/cognative ability to do 'inside' stuff, wishing I was doing 'outside' stuff.

Any way I've had a few rides this week and upper body gym session and been good with my eating. But I am pretty inflamed from the activity. See what the scales say in the morning!

Plan is my first BAM tomorrow night, been going through my kit, just need to pick up some food and a fresh lighter.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

05/01/2024: 279lbs Goal 200lbs
12/01/2024: 274.8lbs

Down 4.2lb , 1.9kg, or my tent and kip mat :-bd
godivatrailrider

Moder-dye wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:19 am 05/01/2024: 279lbs Goal 200lbs
12/01/2024: 274.8lbs

Down 4.2lb , 1.9kg, or my tent and kip mat :-bd
Good work bud !
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:20 am
Haven't had any alcohol so far this year,
Indeed that's very well done.
though might be forced into having one tonight
Don't ever let anyone force you into screwing over your liver. Stay firm and strong and you'll also be a shining example for your littel un! Lots of evidence to prove it swerves our kids after seeing how/what we do...

My ex best mate/cousin is now probably the owner of a knackered liver. Learnt/encouraged to drink with/by him many years ago. But equally I taught/encourage him to smoke weed so am just as bad. Quit the week about 20 years prior and then ciggies about 2017 after a nasty chest/heart infection.

So, first the alcohol!! Didn't touch it after parting ways with him over 20 years ago. In the last few years I tried to get back in touch with him but each time I called he was intoxicated. Eventually gave up trying to bring him back into my life as I'm easily influenced. Alhamdulillah, not touched that crap (sorry) for long enough that I'm still reasonably healthy as I tick over the 50 year mark in a year or 3. Don't miss it one bit and only ever really have poor memories of being too pissed!

Cannabis, that really was a tough one. Probably linked to my frustrating (unknown at the time) dyslexia and was my way of mellowing out. Loved it to the core but knew it'd mess my lungs one day. Gave it up well over 12 years ago with a blip or two here n there. Stopping smoking altogether was the toughest!

Eventually weaned off smoking after 30 years of trying. Too much vaping combined with hard cycling and I eventually got a heart infection (outer 2 layers of the heart... the inner layer usually the dept of IV drug users and they don't live long after, sadly), probably from my dirty/smoky lungs. Since 2017 have battled with at least 2 pneumonias a year.

I know they were pneumonia cos I work with it. Countless (slightly smaller) chest infections and Dec til Jan of 2022/23 I told the wife this is probably my last. I was quite literally at deaths door and it (the pneumonia/chest inf) lasted almost 6 weeks or longer. Thankfully having given up after that initial stay on the coronary care unit, played it's role (again, All Praise to Allah), The One) and this December managed the Rapha500 in a one-er.

Usually the 100 milers a time, of winter riding have been leaving me worse for wear. But this December I managed a 1 degree c ride to Lndon and then that 310 miler a couple weeks later. Last time I ever smoked was when I'd met my other mate after a (full) year of abstaining. Reminded me that people like me couldn't/don't quit, so I had a 'rolly'. Drive back home of 12 miles was the hardest of my life and I've never touched again.

Additionally, I also never went to see him ever again, but no hard feelings. Sometimea you just have to let go of seemingly good friends/family for your own liver/lungs. Hope that helps....

Shafiq
This definatley resonates with me - i have a rather addictive personality, and it was all to easy to get dragged into smoking + pot and drinking which i did for many many years. In Sep 22 i said enough was enough, said goodbye to my so called (toxic) friendships which were built on alcohol and started to focus on positive changes. Ive not looked back and the relationship with my kids is 10x better. The weights has dropped off too, in Sep 22 i was around 84kg, now at 73.5kg which makes a big difference in the hills (diet / excersise has broadly remained the same). Ive switched up my day to focus on sleep and recovery, so im no longer the party animal, and go to bed at 2130, but up at 5am, riding or training as thats what i love doing first thing! Quitting booze is really tough at first. it goes against all the social norms or what society tells us is normal. Sod that - having experienced a life without booze i can honestly say i feel free for the the first time!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Hmmm.... Not sure why I'm not getting notifications of replys, despite having it turned on?

-3c and freezing fog here. I think I might enjoy my bed instead of BaM. Roads aren't exactly safe either.
redefined_cycles

When I used to be on the weed my mates thought that one day I'd die with a (masterpiece of a) joint in my mouth. Found it so hard but after being free of it for so long I realised that I'd been sucking myself with all that sh*t just to feel normal. But, I was anything but.

As in, if a person suddenly starts feeling the feeling of being high, but without being high. We'd call them, 'poorly'. Homeostasis (good advice to look it up) is something that I was disrupting and pretending it was a good feeling!

Alternately (in regards to smoking being so hard to quit) when my heart rate was hitting 35 and I had the heart infection. Then tried smoking and couldn't even walk up a flight if stairs after it, it became so easy to quit. Funny thing is, Alan Carr (quitting smoking book) explained years prior that the addiction of nicotine is merely, 'I could do with a cig'. But we amplify it* beyond reasonable behaviour and become so 'narky'.

When I knew I'd die from the smoking I was suddenly able to let go and there was no crankiness involved whatsoever!

*This is not the same with alcohol as it definitely (for someone addicted) has to be weaned or medically supervised. Most people don't realise but they're definitely addicted to it (we see it in patients who go berzerk after suddenly/unintentionally abstaining due to sudden illness/trauma.
godivatrailrider

You may be pleased to know I avoided having a beer, and also avoided the bag of Minstrels.

I suspect folks may be over thinking the beer thing. I don't have 'toxic friends', tbh I don't really have any 'friends', by choice. I like it that way. Simply don't feel the need to hang around with anyone.
I work from home and seldom see /interact with anyone other than the postman occasionally.
I mostly ride alone other than at WRT where I usually have a buddy.
That's how I like it.

I don't smoke.

I don't have an addictive personality, I find it very easy to quit things.
I certainly don't have a drink problem other than I actually like good quality beer be it stout, ale, or Belgian.
I don't buy much mass market beer, Hobgoblin, Speckled Hen or whatever, I always try and get local beers wherever we go.
So I'll have Ludlow brewery, or Hobsons, or Three Tuns, or whatever.
Vive la difference!

And I also have 2 , occasionally 3 500ml bottles a night, so 2 -2.5 pints.
But I can just stop, currently on a 12 day streak without any problem. I've done Dry January several times... got though to March once.
But I actually enjoy a good beer.
Jeez a man needs to have at least one vice :grin:
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Ea ... 1405923318

In case anyone decides 2024 is the year to stop messing up the lungs (and not just the liver) then this book is amazing. I had the abridged (tiny) version for many years. Really amazing read (for smokers struggling to give it up)
redefined_cycles

:grin: ... Godivatrail, my comments weren't aimed at you as such at all. Usually on this thread (been going for many years now) anything linked to wieght/health usually gets mentioned. Alot of the time people tend to share their own expereinces ans what worked for me.

Me, the biggest thing I learnt from this thread over the years (and what I always try to push down my fiends/friends throats is the simple act of weighing themselves regularly. I tend to do it almost daily now and is probably whats just about kept me below 90kg.

You should've taken the Minstrels :lol:
godivatrailrider

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:17 am :grin: ... Godivatrail, my comments weren't aimed at you as such at all. Usually on this thread (been going for many years now) anything linked to wieght/health usually gets mentioned. Alot of the time people tend to share their own expereinces ans what worked for me.

Me, the biggest thing I learnt from this thread over the years (and what I always try to push down my fiends/friends throats is the simple act of weighing themselves regularly. I tend to do it almost daily now and is probably whats just about kept me below 90kg.

You should've taken the Minstrels :lol:
Great advice Shaf ! I tend to weigh once or twice a week, and I agree it keeps you on the right path... as soon as you see those numbers starting to creep up :???:
I'm lucky in that I know what works for me, but I'm not saying it'd work for everyone.
And having a group to share experiences with is motivating too.
As for the Minstrels .... I'm more a savoury person... if it'd have been a veggie samosa I'd be IN THERE! :grin:
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Hi, back again. Haven't weight myself for a while because I don't like bad news. I did mean to do it this morning to post here but plain forgot. I'll do it next week. So, trying again. Most of the Xmas treats and food have gone but not completely. We'll see how it all goes. I might need to see a little progress to incentives things. Posting here and weighing weekly does mean I keep an eye on things.

The main aim for now is to cut out snacking during the week completely but allow a treat at the weekend. For months now this snacking has been a temptation I haven't been able to curb. I need to be stricter. I'll also be a little.more sensible on main meals, both size and content.

Cutting down the beers will help. I don't drink excessively and only have beer at the weekend but might cut down to a Saturday only.

Until next week.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

:-bd
redefined_cycles

Fri 12th Jan - 86.0kg