Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hello and welcome to the 2024 edition of 'Bivvy a Month'. I feel look I closed my eyes for a second and here we are again. Okay, if it ain't broke don't break it, so I think we'll simply carry on in the usual manner.

There are no rules as such and you're free to do whatever you like. However, there are some guidelines which if adhered to make you eligible for a lovely BaM patch. They are ....

• At least one night out per calendar month for twelve consecutive months.

• Your own back garden does not count. That of your neighbour does.

* A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first of the next, will count as two months if you wish - but you still need 2 nights out, just that they'll be combined within a single trip.

* A bike must be involved - it's bikepacking, the clue's in the name ... 'Involved'? You really don't need me to spell it out do you?

* No paid for accommodation inc' campsites or hostels. Bothies are okay.

* Post each trip here in as much detail as you like, pictures are good. One post for each month please ... if you'd prefer not to post, that's fine. We'll take you at your word but people do like reading the trip reports.

Thank you as always to Kev C for the inspiration.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Roll up, roll up!
May I also include some guidelines....
The last night of the month - after much debate on this over the years, we (I) came up with the following:
Pitch up before midnight = that month.
Pitch up after midnight = the following month.
Room for maneuver here (i.e. bribery) - apply to Reg CO Bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk.
Conventional is fine but always look to the alternative option - sheds, churches, railway carriages, bird hides, caves, tunnels and bridges, to name but a few. Obviously it all has to be legal, unless you want to do an illegal bivvy.

Prizes awarded for best food, best shed, best tarp erection, best ride to or from bivvy, best bike, best stove, best weather. Also worst food, worst shed, worst tarp erection, worst ride, worst bike, worst stove and worst weather. Also wild cards eg. Frogs water bed.

See you later,
P
Boab

Post by Boab »

Go on then...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Yep. Last year, my first, was about just getting it done, albeit bivi bag only (Greensykes Bothy in December excepted). Had a tent or tarp with me at times but was pleased to have not had to use them. Trips were all done from home and relatively local (stupidly so in April, but there were reasons for that) and I was generally out late and then home as early as possible next morning. Even the ones further afield (Fife, West Lothian) didn't involve much in the way of cooking or other activity. Actually, I didn't stop at a single cafe, and only managed one pub. Pathetic! Also, they've all been done solo to date (again, with the exception of December's Scottish Winter Bivvy fun).

So, inspired by some of last year's shenanigans, the aim will be to get out for longer/higher/farther/more culinarily pleasing/generally dafter adventures, in all kinds of weather. I'll likely be returning to some of last year's spots but will be looking for new ones too (East Lothian, Fife, Pentlands proper, and some cheeky urban ones. Maybe a Highlands trip in the summer). For the timing, I'm going to pencil in the second weekend of each month: subject to circumstances it would be cool to meet up with more folk from off here.
Last edited by gecko76 on Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm not saying I will, but I might. I've always said I won't BAM, but if I happen to bivvy in every calendar month, I guess I might as well claim it, and a couple of good nights out last month have made me think I should get out more often.

Justin, we could try one from somewhere between us on the east coast mainline sometime... might give us both a purpose.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

I'd be up for that Dave :-bd

Edit: Lindisfarne? You're not supposed to wild camp, but people have on the beach.
Last edited by gecko76 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

OK I am I
Biggest lesson learnt ....don't do them last minute or leave it to late.

Will also aim for some winter ones further afield.
Mrs Polisherman

Post by Mrs Polisherman »

I feel like I ought to give this a go as I don't have any big plans for this year and I really fancy the badge. It'll be quite a challenge to complete the first few months as I'm not keen on riding in the dark or the cold, in fact I'm not that keen on bivvying either....
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

I'm not keen on riding in the dark or the cold, in fact I'm not that keen on bivvying either....
I think it was established last year that daytime bivvies are acceptable if you work nights. Just a thought.
RIP

Post by RIP »

and note that "bivvying" comprises a very wide range of 'facilities' to suit all tastes, from the traditional ditch up to a variety of commodious sheds/barns/hovels/etc. It's perfectly possible to rough it without actually, er, roughing it, if you so desire....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

gecko76 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:49 pm I'd be up for that Dave :-bd

Edit: Lindisfarne? You're not supposed to wild camp, but people have on the beach.
:-bd
Lindisfarne could be an option, sure we wouldn't be the first. Would probably avoid in the school holidays, gets very busy.
I assume there would be some nice options from Dunbar too - you might know better than me...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Count me in: I've already done Oct, Nov & Dec 2023 and am attending this weekend's Winter Event, so it would be a shame to break the run. :smile:
May you always have tail wind.
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

RIP wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:59 pm and note that "bivvying" comprises a very wide range of 'facilities' to suit all tastes, from the traditional ditch up to a variety of commodious sheds/barns/hovels/etc. It's perfectly possible to rough it without actually, er, roughing it, if you so desire....
Can you 'bivvy' in a tent? :shock:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A boat is more questionable than a tent :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

BridlewayBimbler wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:45 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:59 pm and note that "bivvying" comprises a very wide range of 'facilities' to suit all tastes, from the traditional ditch up to a variety of commodious sheds/barns/hovels/etc. It's perfectly possible to rough it without actually, er, roughing it, if you so desire....
Can you 'bivvy' in a tent? :shock:
Anything goes in that regard, although BAM is a perfect opportunity to test out flat tarping which is a nice thing to do if the weather isn't too horrendous. In theory one of those cycle towable caravans is also 'in' but you might get a bit of stick for using one :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:40 pm A boat is more questionable than a tent :wink:
Nah it's just a floating shed and sheds are flavour of the moment with BaMers :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Mrs Polisherman

gecko76 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:57 am
I'm not keen on riding in the dark or the cold, in fact I'm not that keen on bivvying either....
I think it was established last year that daytime bivvies are acceptable if you work nights. Just a thought.
Perfect - I'll start looking for a new job that entails night shifts
Mrs Polisherman

'Facilities' are rather scarce round here. They've all been 'done up' and have people living in them - very inconsiderate
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I 'spose kipping through the day means you don't break the 'no camping' law down there. :-bd
Reg - we may have to scrutinise the rules to avoid people having an afternoon nap on a bike ride and claiming it as a BAM :lol:
This could be more controversial than the end of the month debate...
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I'm in, currently on a mid Wales hill for the Jan one
RIP

Post by RIP »

Annnnnnd off we go....

A most luxurious night toasty warm at a visitors centre on the Winter Event.

Nooo-o-o-o of course not! -3c on an open-air but roofed wooden platform at a visitors centre. As mentioned elsewhere, lots of ice everywhere and frozen socks. Perfect!

1/1, 1/12, 98/98

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Winter Event bivi at Borth with Reg, Lu & Kev.
An excellent weekend. :grin:
4/12.
May you always have tail wind.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Winter event here too with Dr Nick and Swede,

A leisurely bimble around Hafren forest followed by a night at the “visitor centre”, enough shelter but not like Reg’s palatial accommodation.
Frosty, icy roads, good breakfast.

We managed a half dozen outings last year, full house this year?

1/1 1/12
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Mrs Polisherman

January bivvy done on Saturday night. Cycled up to a local reservoir hoping for the frosty starry night forecast. Got wet drizzly clag instead. Home in time for breakfast. Should have gone on the Winter Bivvy - photos on FB look amazing. Maybe next year....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Pickers wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:45 pm Winter event here too with Dr Nick and Swede,
Sorry we missed you chaps, hope you had a good time. One of these days will coincide again!

Good stuff Mrs P. January down, 11 to go :-bd .