Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by Verena »

JudithG wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:18 pm What a month folks - loving the adventure reports and photos. Sorry some of you had a rough one, and 100?! Blimey!

With little energy in the tank I ticked March off the list, with a local bivvy at an old railway station not far from home. Temp was forecast to be dry and only dip as low as 5 degrees. That was nearly possible with my one season sleeping bag. Fortunately the sensible part of my brain packed my three season bag. However the non-sensible part was in charge of wardrobe. Wearing my sleep shorts for the cycle, and forgetting that gloves were a thing I had cold rides there and back. Sub one mile, don't feel too sorry for me! Temp dropped to 4, feeling like 1. Brrr.

After setting up camp, all was quiet. Until someone coughed. 😳
And then again then minutes later. But no movement at all. No sign of anyone. Completely freaked out, I got little sleep and when I did I dreamt of waking up to be surrounded by people bivvying!

Four toilet trips in the night (I have no idea why a bivvy has this effect on me!), and I got up at 6am. Except it wasn't my usual 6am was it? The clocks had changed, so it was 5am on the old clock. Didn't realise that until I was nursing alternate hands in my down jacket on the ride home. Felt especially cheated of sleep all day!

Looking forward to the warmer months to come! And more rural, non-coughing locations...

Photo to follow, file size too big and I'm too tired to figure that out on my phone. How people goto work after a bivvy I'll never know!

3/3 🎉
:shock: any idea in the end of who was it that did the coughing??
Verena

Post by Verena »

You know when you've been away too long when you have to scroll back 4 pages to pick up where you last left the BAM thread :???: - back in a mo to write up my also last minute March one...
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

My March bivvy took place a fortnight ago the forecast said it was going to be dry with a bit of rain overnight and be quite breezy . I wanted to go somewhere diferent and after looking at the maps i was contemplating having a go at the crossing of the Black mountain fortunately common sense prevailed as it is supposed to be difficult in good conditions both in going and navigation so i will have a go later in the year . While looking at the area i saw quite a few tracks heading out fron Trecastle and on to the Usk resevoir so decided to do a ride based arond those . After a long climb on a Roman road the tarmac ended and the track bit by bit started to bring back dark memories of a night in early October at least it was light this time . After sometime i escaped into more comfortable surroundings .
ImagePXL_20240318_153259837 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Moor bog trotting and then forest tracks took me down to the resevoir for a pleaseant ride around it to the lane i wanted i turned into a very strong headwind and could see in front of me a long straight climb it turned out i could only see some of it eventually it went downhill but i still had to pedal quite hard to make any progress i was now begining to question my choice of bivvy spot as it was some distance above me i knew that as i could see the general area but there was supposedly a shelter there if things became desperate . I got to Llanddeuasant where there is a youth hostel so i had a look it was closed but there was a rudimentary bike shed , off i went along a no through road towards Llyn y Fan Fach it started raining and the wind got stronger as i went through the parking area there was a car i was wondering if the shelter may be occupied . I got there to find no sign of life
ImagePXL_20240318_182307649 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
It was apretty stunning place tucked in under the cliffs i saw a couple of people up on the top hardy souls indeed
ImagePXL_20240318_181557028 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I found a nice spot for the tent well it would have been if wasnt for the wind i decided to have some food in the shelter then think about pitching the tent as i was doing this the cloud came down it started raining and the force of the wind increased so i reluctantly set up camp in the shelter . I went out for a look around in the gloom and saw a light just up the rise and a couple trying to get their tent up which they did they saw my light and came and said hello and questioned their wisdom i said they were welcome to come and join me luckily they declined . I was in bed before 9 i wasnt expecting to get much sleep due to the noise it had hardly got started for the next few hours i was wondering if the shelter would survive and was expecting company any minute . I got up for a wee and squelched my way outide that wasnt supposed to happen when i got back in i put the light on and saw half the floor was under water wonderfull !! Stick it out and hope it didnt get to me or try to balance on a couple of scaffolding planks ? I stuck it out and it didnt get to me the receding tide in the doorway .
ImagePXL_20240319_061935550 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The paper on the floor is the high tidemark . I had to see if the neighbours survived the night there was no sign of them . I had a leisurely breakfast in the hope the cloud would rise and it did so i had a couple of miles of decent to enjoy near the bottom i met the neighbours walking back up they didnt think the tent would survive packed up and spent the night in their car .
ImagePXL_20240319_062505212 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I retraced my steps to the resevoir and was hoping for some assistance up the hill i had pedalled down yesterday it was now a flat calm but i did see my first Pushni-Pullyu
ImagePXL_20240319_092920686 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
After all that there was only one cure .
ImagePXL_20240319_110138356 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

Thats 3 for this year .

And finally great effort Reg keep it up i am expecting your company in 37 months time
RIP

Post by RIP »

A very professional job there Kev - bit fresh up top by the sound of it.
Kev wrote: i did see my first Pushmi-Pullyu
:smile:
Reg keep it up i am expecting your company in 37 months time
I'll be there :-bd

Crossing the Black Mountain - you mean one of the tracks between Llanddeusant and Ystradgynlais? There's one particular reason I'm tempted by that as well.....it's on the list... but quite a way down it though TBH...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Yes Reg that's the one if you read your list upside down at anytime let me know .

I don't suppose your interest has anything to do with a hole in the ground does it ?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Curiously not this time no but it probably should :smile: . No it's to do with a point on the map.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Raggedstone wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:50 am ...I did see my first Pushni-Pullyu.
Very lucky, as they only come out on April 1st :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Last minute March BAM in the early hours of Easter Sunday...

Here's a question for you who are guardians and interpreters of BAM rules: On the "a bike must be involved" question, are there any rules about the timescale and distances involved to make it one single "BAM" event?? Reasons for my question will hopefully become clear as you read/ look on below - certainly for me what follows was just one single fun 24 hours or so day and night out out :grin:

I'm the first one to admit I am a rather late starter when it comes to the whole raving thing, but I enjoy it... so having been to Printworks twice with young Miss Z, I thought F it why not, and got myself a ticket to Drumsheds, and decided to make a day of it, and do another thing I've been fancying for a while, which is to just ride around London for a bit on Santander bikes, taking advantage of the 30 minutes free, so making it very good value if you just swap bikes every half hour - worked a treat apart from when I got to Greenwich and found there were no docking stations anywhere that side of the river!

ImageScreenshot_2024-04-01-10-04-41-006 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

But back to the beginning, I got up at 1.30 am on Staurday, drove to Cardiff, caught the National Express to Victoria, had a coffee then hopped on my first Santander bike and started off through Hyde Park in lovely morning sunshine. I'll just give you the pictures here not a whole description, I think you're all bright enough to work it out...

ImageIMG_20240330_193609 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_193556 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_193708 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_193736 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_193751 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_193809 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Enjoyed a second coffee and a little sunbathing snooze at Battersea power station, already deciding by now that I was loving this day and this city

ImageIMG_20240330_085357 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_193838 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

The main touristy bit were a bit tricky to negotiate...
Just here at Westminster bridge I was pounced on whilst wrestling with docking the bike by a guy with a microphone saying he was doing interviews for radio London, followed by admitting that the microphone was fake and he was just really pissed and homeless...chatted for a bit, and after watching him looking increasingly crestfallen as I answered his succession of questions truthfully (Yes I believe in love at first sight, No I haven't fallen in love with you, No I don't think I'll come back and see you again) and politely declined his generous offers ox sexual services, I did agree to a selfie together, hoping this would provide a smooth cue to "Bye I'm Off Now". As he leant in and put his arm around me for the selfie, he forgot he had a can of beer in hand, and spilt it all down my back :roll: , so I had a nice smell of stale lager following me around for the rest of the day ... :lol:

ImageIMG_20240330_094033 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Having just about recovered from this little interlude, I found myself being called to from another microphone wielding person, and soon found myself running a 400m sprint on a giant foam treadmill, for some charity event - as you do, all a bit random :lol: !

ImageIMG_20240330_092845 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_193838 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_194012 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_194044 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

After walking through the Greenwich tunnel and after 8 bikes and 34km I boarded the train at the appropriately named Mudchute, as that would be where I would end up later that night...
ImageScreenshot_2024-04-01-09-57-24-429 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageScreenshot_2024-03-30-11-59-22-688 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

On to Drumsheds which if you didn't know is inside an old IKEA
ImageIMG_20240330_131217 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240330_194211 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

A few hours of techno, then back to Victoria and Cardiff, where the streets were again busy with revellers at half past eleven or something.

Drove back to near home, parked my car in my designated layby and headed to the start of the bridleway for my intended sleep spot. The bridleway being indeed a mudchute, and it felt a bit silly to be honest just taking my bike for a muddy walk in the middle of the night (but we all know why don't we...) When I reached the first gate I decided to abandon thoughts of walking all the way to the top, found the nearest flat spot and climbed into my bivvy bag for a few pretty restless hours, but under pretty starry skies at least.

I felt even sillier when I realised I'd left my phone in the car, ergo no photos, does that mean my BAM never happened? Or do you trust me??
This is a pretty pathetic attempt at proof:
ImageIMG_20240331_055351 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Sunrise, moon still up, stopped for a brew on the way home, where I arrived at 7 for a much needed bath to wash out the beer smell....

ImageIMG_20240331_061447 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240331_092504 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20240331_063737 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Verena

Post by Verena »

Raggedstone wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:36 am Yes Reg that's the one if you read your list upside down at anytime let me know .

I don't suppose your interest has anything to do with a hole in the ground does it ?
Very nice one Kev!!

Have wondered about that shelter up there!

And about the crossing over the top - count me in??
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I do wonder about the company you keep V :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Raggedstone wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:35 am I do wonder about the company you keep V :???:
Just read V's report and my head is in a complete spin! A right sensory and incident overload there V, top work. Hiring 8 bikes in a row is a clever idea.

Reckon the adjudicators have got to let that BaM through simply for the lunacy value. Chalk it up!

I'm going out right now into our High Street with a fake microphone.....

Verena

Post by Verena »

Raggedstone wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:35 am I do wonder about the company you keep V :???:
By that I'm wondering if you mean my daughter? The people I talked to on the trip? Or you lot for wanting to cross the black mountain??
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:36 pm
Just read V's report and my head is in a complete spin! A right sensory and incident overload there V, top work. Hiring 8 bikes in a row is a clever idea.

Reckon the adjudicators have got to let that BaM through simply for the lunacy value. Chalk it up!

I'm going out right now into our High Street with a fake microphone.....
Yes, going to sleep with the sound of young lambs bleating in one ear, and techno still ringing in the other, was quite something...

Adjudicators, Yes definitely, it was totally bona fide and above board...HAB along muddy bridleway, sleep in bivvy bag on the edge of a field, reverse in the morning. You do trust me, don't you???!?!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

That looks like a proper good trip V :-bd

I really enjoy exploring the smoke by bike & do similar myself if i’m down there visiting family & friends, with the odd rave thrown-in. If you go again try swapping banks at St Paul’s, then heading through the city, Spitalfields & East London. Also definitely try the tfl River Bus, especially at night near Canary Wharf. Bikes are allowed onboard, although the weight of a Boris Bike won’t make getting in on & off easy, so better to park then collect one at either end :cool:

Getting the tube up to Hampsted then meandering back towards the centre is also another good one 👌
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Wotsits wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:22 pm try the tfl River Bus
Many years ago we took the kids to Greenwich and part of the journey was by River Bus from Charing Cross. From there down river we pootled along at about 1 or 2mph, sorry knots, or something, a bit like a floating brick, pointing out all the sights etc. Kids not all that impressed. Then just after Tower Bridge and clearer water I think it was, the driver, sorry Captain, pressed the Big Red Button and the bloody thing took off like a rocket. The kids looked quite scared and me and Mrs Perrin were considerably taken aback, we just didn't expect this ungainly lump could do such a thing. It was almost like being on a RIB, hair flying, cheeks rippling, the shore flashing past in a blur. Brilliant fun!

Way cheaper than Alton Towers at the price of a Travelcard :smile: .

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

RIP wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:45 pm Many years ago we took the kids to Greenwich and part of the journey was by River Bus from Charing Cross. From there down river we pootled along at about 1 or 2mph, sorry knots, or something, a bit like a floating brick, pointing out all the sights etc. Kids not all that impressed. Then just after Tower Bridge and clearer water I think it was, the driver, sorry Captain, pressed the Big Red Button and the bloody thing took off like a rocket. The kids looked quite scared and me and Mrs Perrin were considerably taken aback, we just didn't expect this ungainly lump could do such a thing. It was almost like being on a RIB, hair flying, cheeks rippling, the shore flashing past in a blur. Brilliant fun!

Way cheaper than Alton Towers at the price of a Travelcard :smile: .
That’s the one Reg 👊

They even have a kiosk on-board serving drinks.
All comes under an Oyster card & is way betterer than the tube..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Original plan was Dales Divide (for the fourth time). However, I really didn't fancy all the mud! I had a backup plan though. Home-2-coast-2-coast 2 home.

Almost completely on minor roads, cycleways and NCN routes, whilst crisscrossing the Dales Divide route in places so I could marvel at the mud and braver riders than I.

I left home near Halifax at 1am Saturday, caught the sunrise in the Forest of Bowland and arrived in Morecambe at 7am.

The cafes were shut so I set off across the country, following the 170 mile Way of the Roses cycle route to Bridlington and arrived at around 9pm for a pizza.

Sleep came easily in a bird hide at Flamborough Head before packing up, grabbing a breakfast and pedaling home.

Just over 600km total and back home for 5pm Sunday. Lovely 👌🏻

Verena

Post by Verena »

Wotsits wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:22 pm That looks like a proper good trip V :-bd

I really enjoy exploring the smoke by bike & do similar myself if i’m down there visiting family & friends, with the odd rave thrown-in. If you go again try swapping banks at St Paul’s, then heading through the city, Spitalfields & East London. Also definitely try the tfl River Bus, especially at night near Canary Wharf. Bikes are allowed onboard, although the weight of a Boris Bike won’t make getting in on & off easy, so better to park then collect one at either end :cool:

Getting the tube up to Hampsted then meandering back towards the centre is also another good one 👌
Thanks for the tips wotsits, I would definitely like to do that again, it's not expensive either if you national express and Boris bike it. Yes the river bus, of course, I do remember that being amazing when I did that at night with my daughter, from where we were staying in Rotherhide looking across to Canary Wharf, up to the Eye and back...
Verena

Post by Verena »

Oh WOW John Allen, amazing riding and stunning pictures!!!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Johnallan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:05 pm I left home near Halifax at 1am Saturday, caught the sunrise in the Forest of Bowland and arrived in Morecambe at 7am.
I'm beginning to suspect that you may have something wrong with you :wink: Who leaves home at 1am :???:

Another cracking ride John :-bd It's making me feel rather lazy reading that, though not enough to make me want to do a 600km bivi :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Is there a prize for "longest bivi ride of the year"? :-O
May you always have tail wind.
Tractionman

Post by Tractionman »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:10 pm
And as per normal, they'll be a film coming soon :-bd
and what a top film it is too :-)
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Johnallan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:05 pm … caught the sunrise in the Forest of Bowland and arrived in Morecambe at 7am.
Top effort, John!

Coincidentlly, I was taking in the sunrise in the Forest of Bowland too, en route to family for Easter.
IMG_2638.jpeg
IMG_2638.jpeg (167.11 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Hyppy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:39 pm
Johnallan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:05 pm … caught the sunrise in the Forest of Bowland and arrived in Morecambe at 7am.
Top effort, John!

Coincidentlly, I was taking in the sunrise in the Forest of Bowland too, en route to family for Easter.
That looks marvellous :grin:
Verena wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:26 pm Oh WOW John Allen, amazing riding and stunning pictures!!!
Cheers V! A thoroughly enjoyable weekend :-bd
sean_iow wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:52 am
Johnallan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:05 pm I left home near Halifax at 1am Saturday, caught the sunrise in the Forest of Bowland and arrived in Morecambe at 7am.
I'm beginning to suspect that you may have something wrong with you :wink: Who leaves home at 1am :???:
It worked great setting off at that time, although it's not something I'm in a rush to repeat. As well as arriving in Brid at a sensible time for a pizza, it also ment I was tired enough to sleep like a baby :grin:
MuddyPete wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:49 pm Is there a prize for "longest bivi ride of the year"? :-O
Probably slightly shorter than the Dales Divide? Albeit, most folk would probably sleep more than once on that ride :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks meaningfully at watch. cough, cough. Any more for any more??