Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NeilA

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by NeilA »

29 February BAM
2 of 2, 26 of 26

My first venture and cycle ride since the Winter event. Not perfect but work has consumed me, prepping stuff ready for the big wind down coming soon. For that very reason it was going to be the last day of the month. Yes I pick a fair few of these and yes The law of planning the last day of the month says one will pay with wet weather and a brutal day at work. So be it, but I will better my March choice :YMPRAY: . No crazy stuff on unused legs so I opted for a local 'get me out of jail' bivvy. And all my kit fitted in an Osprey Escapist 25 litre rucksack. So quick to pack and lightweight joined the path of least resistance.
Some of you may recognise the place :lol:
I had to operate in stealth mode since the nearby hedge I use for cover was bare. It was fairly close to midnight when I lay on top of my Alpkit Kloke bivvy bag prior to snuggling inside. Tired and surprisingly warm, the whisky flowed, and the chocolate devoured as I took in a gorgeous clear sky while owls nearby played my favourite tune. Now in my sleep bag I struggled to sleep, hitting a zone of neither warm nor cold. But who cares, even an uneventful bivvy gives one grounding with a spiritual high. And one dreams of meaningful bivvy trips to balance the BAM karma.
Morning was wet and cold, I planned a quick getaway as soon as light allowed a pic or two. Then back home to ready for another day at work.

Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Boab wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:04 pm
JimmyG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:42 pm ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr
Make and model of those down booties please...?
No problem Boab. They're the Exped Camp Booties. A bit of a luxury item I suppose but I always take them on my winter bivvies. They've got a decent waterproof sole, too, incidentally. Here's the link and I notice they're now on at a reduced price: :-bd

https://thebucketlistcompany.co.uk/prod ... amp-booty/
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
javatime

Post by javatime »

My tent is a Vango Helium UL1.

Got it very cheap on E bay, as it had a hand stitched repair on a section of the inner zip.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

This one is an extra bivi for the month but before my much more exciting real bivi later this week :???:

Needed to get out as I've ended up with a weird tradition where whenever I have a new bike or a substantially changed bike the first ride*, and I mean the very first ride, is a bivi. Having built new wheels and changed the bars on the London Road I needed to go on a bivi to then be able to put it on the rota of available bikes to ride. Decided I head to Mum's wood but go the long way as I also needed to check the bars and levers were in the right place before wrapping the bars.

Loaded up and left after dinner, the very first pedal stroke was leaving the drive so hopefully everything would work. I'd checked I could change gear on the stand when I fitted the wheels but that was about it. Dry but cool evening so I dug the bib-longs back out which I hoped I put away until next winter but I think they've be getting more use yet. Plan was to head thought to Shanklin, down to Lake and then cut back round to Mum's via the cycle track near the Sandown Water Works. This had been flooded last time I tried to go that way but that was weeks ago.... Rode past the Emergency Road Closure signs, obviously they'd just forgotten to taken them down? Through the first flooded section, not to bad and a car was coming down the road behind me, over the little brow and round the corner and.... water, lots of water. I rode down to the edge to see if I could gauge the depth but I could hear it rushing over the road where the river goes underneath, and at the moment also over the top.

Turned round and headed off to ride round on the next road over. Get to that, ride past the Emergency Road Closure signs, obviously they'd forgotten to take them down? Can you see a pattern emerging here :lol: Flooded, again. This is the main road from Sandown to Ryde so bit of an issue. As I stood at the side of the road looking at it a car came past and drove in, after a hundred metres of so they stopped, did a 3 point turn with water up to the doors, and went back the way they'd come. Another car came along and stopped to see if I was alright, explained I didn't fancy getting soaked. They'd driven through the other way earlier and advised that if I kept to the right it wasn't too deep. So I followed them through and managed to make it with dry-ish feet. Now it was just the back lanes and fingers crossed that the road would be passable at Alverstone where I'd be crossing the same river that had flooded the other locations, albeit further upstream.

Stopped for a photo on the way down the hill to Alverstone, delaying finding out if the river was under or over the road at the bridge. Luckily the water was still mainly in the river (and surrounding fields) at Alverstone so made it to Mum's ok, over 11 miles of hills and floods which took an hour and half only to end up less than a mile from where I'd started :lol: Got set up, sat in the hammock and opened a beer. My damp feet in my damp shoes were getting cold. I didn't want to put my dry sleeping socks on but realised the issue was mainly the damp riding shoes.

Shoes off and with my feet on the sitting mat to insulate them from the ground they actually warmed up nicely. Read my book for an hour whilst drinking a few beers and eating chocolate. Forecast was for a low of 6 degrees so brought my Criterion 200 bag to use as a top-quilt. Started off ok but by about 3am I was quite chilly. Woke a few times in the night as i was cold but survived and made it through. Laid in the hammock in the morning listening to the birds and watching the squirrels running about in the trees nearby. This was Ralph's 48th bivi so 4 full years, so he's earned a lye-in :grin:

He's also a head left/feet right hammock-lie like myself. Made coffee and checked the thermometer, by 9am it was already 8 degrees, the nighttime low however,

Well that explains why I was cold as my chosen 'top quilt' is only good down to between 3 and 5 degrees. Put the tarp away and sat for a while just enjoying the sun, snake-skins make this so easy, they do add bulk and weight but the benefit outweighs this. If I was ever somewhere where I was staying more than one night it would be easy to put the tarp away for the daytime and re-deploy at night if needed. I packed up, adjusted the angle of the bars slightly and headed home the long way to test the bar position, but learning from last night I headed away from the river :lol: I'd noticed an odd whistling kind of noise the night before but couldn't work out where it was coming from. On the way home I worked out that as I had no bar-end plugs in the wind going past the bars was making a sound not unlike when you blow over the top of a milk bottle :lol:

3/3 for the year but... 48 in a row for Ralph, so he now qualifys for 4 blue badges :grin:

* I've done this since 2018 now. And 'new' bike is always a build out of second hand parts. Happened by chance the first time that I finished building the ti Selma on a Saturday morning and thought, it's a nice sunny June day I'll go for a bivi :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Boab

Post by Boab »

JimmyG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:30 am No problem Boab. They're the Exped Camp Booties. A bit of a luxury item I suppose but I always take them on my winter bivvies. They've got a decent waterproof sole, too, incidentally. Here's the link and I notice they're now on at a reduced price: :-bd

https://thebucketlistcompany.co.uk/prod ... amp-booty/
Thanks Jimmy! What's the sizing like? 'cuase as per normal, I'm right on the change over between medium and large, so really depends on how wide they are...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I'm a size 9.5 or 10 (depending on brand of shoe) and the Large fits me perfectly. Hope that helps.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Sorry no tent piccy, it was just too dark when packing up.

I did intend to do BAMs this year but scuppered in Jan after the Wife got ill. Feb just passed me by. So my start started last night. Not sure I'll make the whole year but posting this here as doesn't warrant its own thread.

Quick trip out and pitched in a wood a few miles from home. Wasn't convinced by the spot, or rather whether there would be early dog walkers. I was convinced for about a 1/2hr last night that there was a dog walker with a torch nearby, only to figure out it was cars passing some way away. What a div. Anyway, slept poorly, packed up early and headed home for coffee. Still, happy to have the night out.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

We all have those less-than-perfect bivis sometimes. Well done for getting out :grin: .
May you always have tail wind.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The number of times I've woken up with a start thinking someone is shinning a torch in my face only to realise the clouds have cleared and it's the moon :lol:

Unless you sleep outside you don't realise just how light it is on a full moon, but it needs to be otherwise how would the werewolves see where they're going :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:26 am The number of times I've woken up with a start thinking someone is shinning a torch in my face only to realise the clouds have cleared and it's the moon :lol:

Unless you sleep outside you don't realise just how light it is on a full moon, but it needs to be otherwise how would the werewolves see where they're going :wink:
We live well away from much light pollution (there's nearby towns like Skipton and Keighley but they are behind hills) so a full moon on a clear night is always pretty bright.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Cheers, Pete. I am glad I did it and just need to keep it going. I have a few longer distance trips planned with a trip to Scotland too, so I'm hoping that'll give me some momentum.
sean_iow wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:26 am The number of times I've woken up with a start thinking someone is shinning a torch in my face only to realise the clouds have cleared and it's the moon :lol:

Yes, this happened. After nodding off I did awake to thinking there was flashes of light. Just dreaming, I think. The mistaken dog walker with the torch I thought I saw was when I'd arrived at my spot so I spent far too long trying to suss out if someone would be walking past. I had other spots to head to in the same wood but eventually realised my mistake and pitched there anyway. I was a bit freaked out though.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Couple of busy weekends coming up so snuck out last night for an easy one half an hour from home that was guaranteed to be dry, and flat.
Found a way under the bypass last year and noted at the time how quiet it was. There was a buzzing from the pylon at the far end all night but not enough to prevent sleep.
Book, beer and lights out by midnight. Fun thinking about what was travelling overhead and judging relative speeds: mostly clumps of cars, lorries at varying volumes, the occasional screaming Honda. Also pondering how the carriageway above my head was connected to pretty much every other tarmaced road in mainland Britain (Cape Wrath excepted, and doubtless there are others), in the same way that every bit of sea you contemplate swimming in could contain a Great White Shark. Incidentally, they can smell blood in concentrations less than one part per million - remember that next time you stub your toe in the swimming pool.

Disturbed a deer last night I remember, just two yellow eyes in the middle distance that vanished when I looked away. A magnificent dark green pheasant on the way home this morning too, Japanese according to google.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Is that the subway at the back of Edinburgh park? I vaguely recall trying to get into that years ago when I lived in South gyle but it was firmly barriered off....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks like a red light area to me.

Underpass kipping - another original idea in the Gritty Urban Realism series :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Is that the subway at the back of Edinburgh park? I vaguely recall trying to get into that years ago when I lived in South gyle but it was firmly barriered off....
Nope, but will keep that in mind. This was under the slip road where the A68 peels off the bypass.
Underpass kipping - another original idea in the Gritty Urban Realism series :-bd
It doesn't really go anywhere. There are some huts in the field beyond, near the tower I kipped next to last February, but I don't know what they're used for. Probably shooting. Approach with caution. Also a sneaky way into the Dalkeith Estate, which gets locked at night.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

This is my official BAM entry for March so ignore the previous hammock one. Mike (from Bromsgrove) has never seen the Island and has been threatening to come down for the last few years. He had a few days off and the forecast was good so he rode here to get the opportunity to ride some more :lol:

I met him from the ferry after work last Monday and we rode back to mine, in the rain, not the best star weather wise. The forecast was rain Tuesday morning and then clearing up, we waited until after lunch but it was still raining so decided to head out and hope it got better. To be fair we’d only been out for half an hour or so when it did stop. I had a loose plan to ride around the coast in an anti-clockwise direction which would hopefully deposit us at the ear-marked pub for dinner which itself was then only a short ride to a potential bivi spot.

We cut through the back lanes to Brading (now inland but used to be on the coast a long time ago) and then via the old railway to Seaview and down to St. Helens, stopping on the way to remove waterproofs at the entrance to the church where I noticed that I know people with just about all the surnames on the WW1 memorial, they’re all old Island names.

Once at the coast it mainly just a matter of keeping the sea on the right whist I pointed out the sights, the remains of Quarr Abbey, the new Abbey (which is usually built from brick) the church were one of Queen Victoria’s children is buried, the power station we never use. Once at East Cowes there’s a choice, ride up the river to Newport and back up the other side or get the chain ferry over. Anyone who knows the Island will know there’s at least a 30% chance the chain ferry is broken luckily there’s a replacement launch for pedestrians and cyclists.

Once across and in Cowes we could continue round on our journey. Using local knowledge to cut across town without riding in the pedestrian precinct and evoking the wrath of the locals we made our way to the shore again, past the Royal Yacht Squadron and on to Gurnard where the road kicks up at an unhealthy gradient only to drop back down to the coast straight afterwards. By the time we got to Porchfield and the TA Camp it was starting to get dark and close to dinner time. We skipped the loop out through Newtown to see the wonky town hall (also once the proposed site of a nuclear power station) and sped instead to the pub for dinner and a few pints.

Once suitable fed and warmed it was back out into what had now become quite a chilly night. I had recently learned of a bird hide but had never seen it so we decided to check that out with a woods nearby as a back-up. In the end the hide was suitable although a door and glazing in the windows would be nice. Speaking to a friend afterwards the door was removed to deter a tramp from living there. I did suggest that perhaps they could keep a door available for bikepackers to collect and use and return with say a deposit system? :lol:

Room for 2, just

Or 3 if one of you is particularly small :grin:

Mike had only brought a 150 quilt but we’d decided before we left mine that would not be anywhere near warm enough so I lent him a Pipedream 600 bag. This was the right decision as even in these bags and wearing our down jackets (matching ghost whisperers) neither of us overheated. There was a breeze blowing in all night thanks to the doorless nature. Forecast low was 6 deg but checking the overnight low showed just how cold it had been :o

There was quite the frost outside in the open and under the trees everywhere was wet. I’ve never stayed at a hide before but despite the lack of space and fresh breeze the fact I didn’t have a wet tarp to pack up was a definite bonus. We were away early before any dog walkers might arrive and into Yarmouth for coffee at PO41, highly recommended. Then on the Freshwater for breakfast. There was still a chill in the air as the sun hadn’t yet burnt off the chilly fog, but it makes for good pictures

Calling in at Fort Victoria on the way to Freshwater to check the cannons were still ready should the French or Spanish decide to send a fleet.

At the café we met the Mayor of Yarmouth, she works there but I did question the lack of Mayoral Chains, apparently they don’t wear them all the time :lol:

It was then the climb up to the Old Battery and rocket test site to see the Needles and check out the old control room for future bivis.

By now the sun was out and it was turning out to be a really nice day, if still a little fresh on the descents. Dropping down to Freshwater Bay it was then a headwind as we rode east along the Military Road, the subject of much concern locally as it’s now only feet way from the cliff at one point. I assume the cliff has fell away rather than the road move over to be closer.

We turned inland away from the coast at the Mottistone turning (Motistone church being where Benedict Cumberbatch got married) and headed for the café at Chessel Pottery. I don’t think Mike believed me when I said they had the largest selection of cake anywhere I’ve ever been but he soon did as we stood there trying to choose from maybe 30+. We sat in the garden with shoes off warming feet in the sun, luckily all the other customers were inside.

Refuelled we stayed on the inland road to Calbourne for some respite from the headwind but eventually turned again for the coast road. The climb up to Blackgang made all the tougher by the wind but once over the top and down to Niton we could drop to the shelter of the Underflcliif and also the quiet as the road was closed some years back part way along due to a land-slip. There have been several more in recent weeks in Ventnor, our next destination, and indeed we wouldn’t be able to continue round to Shanklin as the main road out of Ventnor has been closed due to a major landslip right next to it. When we reached Upper Ventnor we could have ridden up to the top of the downs for the view… but opted instead to sit outside the Central (our Spar equivalent) and drink milkshake.

As we couldn’t continue round the coast, and by now we were also getting weary, we followed the round the Island cycle route inland and back to mine. By the time we got home we’d covered 78 miles with 5700 feet of climbing, not forgetting that Mike already had 160 miles in the legs from riding down the 2 days before. Most of the coast was seen though.

We headed out the next day to tag the missing section. This was another 25 miles and nearly 2000 feet of climbing. People think the Island is flat but we weren’t even going over any of the hills, just around the coast.

3/12 for the year and 49 months in a row.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Brilliant. Liking the early morning bridge pic in particular.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Top report as usual Sean. Enjoyed all the little factoids and stories. That hide was pretty cosy for two :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mike took the bridge picture so should get the credit.

When we got to the hide we worked out which side we normally lay on, me on my left and Mike on his right, then worked out which side of the floor to have so as not to wake up face to face inches apart :lol:
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

That was a good read Sean really enjoyed that and the bridge picture is the best picture I have seen for ages
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:58 pm When we got to the hide we worked out which side we normally lay on, me on my left and Mike on his right, then worked out which side of the floor to have so as not to wake up face to face inches apart :lol:
Good job Ralph in the middle sleeps on his back or he'd have been guaranteed to wake up facing one or other of you poor sod! :grin:
Last edited by RIP on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dorsetshirelad

Post by dorsetshirelad »

IMG_0615 4.jpg
IMG_0615 4.jpg (247.41 KiB) Viewed 464 times
March 7/8th Bivvy 2024.
Cousin Richard was meeting me to test the batteries of his cargo bike for a proposed longer cycling trip.
The plan was to ride the Castleman Trail, the old railway line from Ringwood to Upton. But linking from Christchurch at the beginning, and continuing on from Upton to Poole and back along the seafront to Christchurch, about 44 miles.

However because of the strong easterly breeze blowing we decided to do the route in reverse.
Making extremely good progress with a powerful tailwind we changed our plans at Sandbanks and took the chain ferry to Studland. Picking up Route 2 of the NCN which skirts around the west of Poole Harbour, across various heathland and along the River Frome and up to Wareham. At Wareham Quay we enjoyed a well earned pint of Tanglefoot, before heading off to find a bivvy spot in Wareham Forest to the north of the town. We pitched up on a small hill watching the sun set through the pines as we prepared our meals. Richard was having his customary steak with a pouch of wild red rice and one of his concocted sauces of which I wasn’t completely sure. I decided to keep it simple and make a Rose Elliott Lentil Bolognaise inspired by my youngest daughter Fran, as a quick easy and tasty meal to make for a hungry family. Richard corrected my description saying that it should be Lentilnaise, as Bolognaise refers to a minced beef sauce. Anyhow regardless of the names both meals were delicious.
After a reasonable nights kip we were both up early getting the hammocks and tarps packed away before breakfast of bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes all washed down with cowboy coffee. We hit the trail about 9:30 and picked our way across the forest and through the outskirts of Upton and onto the Castlemain Trail, heading to Broadstone for more coffee croissants and sausage rolls.
We had already had to change to Richard’s spare battery, his cargo bike groaning under the weight of all that 5 star dining. As we got into Wimborne it soon became apparent that we would have to shorten the trip or risk a rescue.
It was quite easy to take the direct route back to Christchurch along some quite good cycle tracks, nevertheless we still had to call in and visit a couple of Richard’s friends for tea and biscuits, oh and a quick charge up of his spare battery. He had forgotten to fully charge it for the trip.

We did manage the 44 miles but not the exact ones we had in mind. There were some good lessons learned about battery management.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

😋 Tasty
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

dorsetshirelad wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:25 pm
…before breakfast of bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes all washed down with cowboy coffee….
You’re a man after my own heart. A bit of good food is worth carrying the extra weight for a few miles :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
dorsetshirelad

Post by dorsetshirelad »

[quote=frogatthefarriers post_id=321442 time=1710273483 user_id=

You’re a man after my own heart. A bit of good food is worth carrying the extra weight for a few miles :-bd
[/quote]

Yes, definitely home from home. Bon appetite.