Anyone ride exclusively singlespeed?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Anyone ride exclusively singlespeed?

Post by FLV »

No real goal of finding any particular answer, a bit like my question about 29+

Does anyone here ride exclusively singlespeed?

I ride one, but also ride geared bikes. I prefer my SS for most of my MTB riding, I don't mind using it for backpacking too. Sometimes. Not that I've done much for a while.

I have a full suspension too and also a third bike set up with gears and slicks in lieu of a drop bar bike.

I know SS bikes of most disciplines can be had.

So, anyone? And care to share what and why?
Last edited by FLV on Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Re: Anyine ride exclusively singlespeed?

Post by fatbikephil »

Nearly

But not quite....

I keep contemplating options for the fatty but I need a very low gear for ploughing through deep snow, but a reasonable gear for pedaling too the snow.

It is hard to avoid all the singlespeed cliches, so take them as read. Being objective, it's nice having a completely idiot proof drive train (see Lachlan Mortons TD vid) and it's nice not having to worry about smashing an expensive rear der off a rock.

As advertised, you ride much more than you think - the other day I got up the 'Stang' climb out of Arkengathdale in the Yorkshire Dales on the Straggler. Previously I'd ridden this with an old road bike with 42/32 and moaned my gears weren't low enough.... That said I like techy, nadgery climbs which is why the fatty will likely keep its gears. And, blasting up wee techy bits is huge fun on SS. It's also a great excuse - "dude, I can't believe you didn't ride that!" "I'm on singlespeed". (and rigid and I'm 52)

But.... you need good core strength as it's hard on your lower back.

After a few winters using the Kramp SS I switched full time as my knees were giving me gyp and this was the last ditch effort to sort them, after doing all the other stuff you are meant to do. It worked. You are pedaling sat down, stood up, fast, slow and you get off to walk = good for your knees.

The other day I bumped into a bunch of other mtbers on a track above my (old) local forest (Hamsterley) and they noted the SS gravel bike and said "that's proper hard core!" I laughed but it's not really, you just have to adjust your riding style a bit. Touring SS is fab (with the right gear, i.e. low) as you can twiddle effortlessly on the flats, freewheel on the descents and just have to put a bit of effort in (or walk) on the climbs.

Recently I was fannying around with the fatty's gears as after 9 years they were struggling a bit. I grafted on the Jones's old gears which still have some life left in them, thank goodness. I don't want 12 speed, I don't want a battery between me and a gear change and I don't want a rear der that costs 200 bar. So anytime I think about switching to gears on, say, the Jones, I look at the nice and simple (and light) back end, think of the cost of a modern gruppo and think.... Nah....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

(Style of riding - delamere/Wirral/North east wales - tend to ride to the trail rather than driving)

Slightly ironic but I converted my first singlespeed 18 or so years ago because I hated triples, was never in the right gear :lol: Found riding tight, twisty singletrack I was more focused on trying to get the right gear rather than focus on the ride so to speak.

Ride delamere a lot, lots of sandstone so singlespeed during the winters (and summers as it was my only mountain bike) meant it was a quick hose after a ride and replace the chain every 6 months once it was rusty. Simple to look after and nicer to ride :-bd

Went for about ten years exclusively on singlespeed (except for the road bike although I did commute on a drop bar singlespeed - made so much more sense riding singlespeed everyday to work in all weather). It’s just a nicer way of riding to me, less to worry about and more focus on the trail ahead.

Personally believe it’s not harder riding singlespeed, might be short efforts to get up a hill but then you freewheel down the other side (and you can push if the hill is too hard, so less energy used pushing than riding :grin: ).

Fast forward a few years and I rode an el mariachi as singlespeed for years and years, was great but then someone offered my a 1x10 XT setup for £25… Made a big difference for my style of riding, I tend to ride to the off road bits from my house, so just made the road sections a little bit quicker. It’s back to singlespeed now after wearing it all out - turns out it can’t get abused as much as a singlespeed setup (and costs ££ to replace…)

Not sure where any of this is going to be honest…

So I’m at the stage now that I really wouldn’t own a triple, work of the devil. My gravel bike functions as a road bike/east off road, came as a double and means it’s efficient as a road bike (ie road cyclists rarely over take me) but has enough range to go off road.

Got two mountain bikes setup with 1x and actually find this a great compromise between having gears and riding singlespeed, great for singletrack but also enough range to use on the road.

I’ve just converted my fatbike to singlespeed and I was well impressed, also swapped out the tyres too so saved 3kg of weight on the bike :-bd Really enjoyed riding the coast recently on it setup singlespeed, absolutely bliss to ride and almost found the zen of riding too. Was also easy to clean once home, no expensive derailleur to worry about salt killing it!

Still got my el mariachi but after 11 years ownership, all the components are getting long in the tooth - hence changing my fatbike over to singlespeed.

I’m quite keen on changing the fatbike to dingle speed but not sure on the faff factor of pulling the dropouts out whilst out.

Would I return to just singlespeed exclusive ownership? Definitely would except for my gravel bike, I really enjoy the way the bikes ride, how you’re much more focused on the ride rather than equipment and how you spend less time at home cleaning/maintaining stuff

Plus points of singlespeed
Cheap
Less maintenance
Much more zen to ride (please God don’t let anyone read this :lol: )
Less energy on a ride - can’t pedal all the time

Downsides
Group rides can be awkward
Can get frustrating on long flat sections
More energy on a ride - feels like interval training

And remember, singlespeed is not just for winter :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not exclusively, I'm not that much of a luddite : )

Mostly SS for unloaded MTB rides though, have been for ~13-14 years now. I got fed up of servicing suspension forks or sloppy bushings and cleaning triple chainset gearing back then, went rigid SS for a winter (Genesis iO with Titec H-bars, loved it and wish I still had it) and that was that. The iO was replaced with a Jones and that was the end of me owning geared FS style bikes - though I do enjoy borrowing them from work or riding a demo bike. And I'm planning a new FS bike soon for FoD days or Wales MTB bikepacking trips.

Living in the Cotswolds now is challenging my SS commitment but with 2 added teeth on the back it's mostly ok on the steeper hillier stuff here. My bikepacker set up is geared, I've done 2-4 days loaded on the SS before and enjoyed it but I prefer the 'go anywhere and keep pedalling' ability of gears. Road SS touring is something I've enjoyed in the past and want to build a bike for at some point, but that's a weird combo and a tricky spec to get right. I still have a really nice one-off Genesis Flyer in slimmer 725 tubing, Dura Ace track kit etc, but I want something that can take guards and a dynamo.

Going singlespeed just confirmed to me that I enjoy simplicity in a bike and I'm happy with the compromises and challenges that brings. The alternative is chasing advantages or speed via features and though there's good things available there (my rigid SS has a dropper as an essential bit of tech), in general I prefer to simplify things to make them more durable and reliable, or just quieter and more consistent. The best things a bike can offer are great ride feel, comfort and reliability.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Not any more, I don't ride enough to stay strong enough for SS in Calder Valley. But when I did, similar reasons to James. Got bored of constant kit faff - though I did stick with front suspension.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Two names spring to mind:

Javi
Singlespeed George

I dabble in it and most plus/minus points are covered by the above posts. I find short sharp hills not to be too bad, it's the long low(ish) angled ones that are hard work. On road I could ride hills that had a single black arrow on the map but had to get off and walk for the double arrow ones.

Singlespeed is a bit of a misnomer - you've four:

Coasting
sitting and spinning
standing and "grinding"
walking

:lol:

Edit:

James' comment reminded me that I spotted a Genesis Flyer the other day and thought it looked pretty neat. Also brought to mind that SS Stooge that was for sale on here a while back.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

Exclusively? No. Occasionally these days, yes :cool:

I've never tried to explain why I enjoy riding SS, you either get it or you don't.
I used to get involved in the whole ss events scene; UK, European and World Championships and had some great times, even helped organise the 2011 FoD event (probably the greatest UK based ss event ever :lol: :wink: ).

On the road touring thing, I had a PX Il Pompino which was a great bike and ideal for light touring (and great fun for woodsy single-track riding on cross tyres :grin: )
I once had the infamous Trek 69er SS in burnt gold but that got sold on a couple of years ago, I currently still ride my Dean Colonel SS which I had built over 20 years ago now and still on Pace carbon forks (built up by Tim at Sideways Cycles)

Loads of good memories and still creating more. :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:32 am
Coasting
sitting and spinning
standing and "grinding"
walking
You forgot reverse.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Pretty much.

I did take a geared bike to Jenride but mainly as I wanted suspension* and it's more sociable if riding with geared riders, although as Karl pointed out as I was generally climbing out of the saddle in a big gear, why did I bother having gears :lol:

Did the big tour with Mike this year on the singlespeed and despite my fears the gearing I chose for the canals would be too high for Wales I got away with it.

* If I hadn't been on the full sus (spearfish) I'd probably only be getting out of hospital now as it saved me so many times, it was also great fun to ride somewhere that it made the best of it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JohnClimber

Re: Anyone ride exclusively singlespeed?

Post by JohnClimber »

Only to and from work.

94 more trips each way until Early Retirement for me and the bike too :-bd

riderdown

Post by riderdown »

, I don't ride enough to stay strong enough for SS in Calder Valley
Just walk, every singlespeeder does eventually.......... So excellent bike pushing training for BB200/300! ;) :grin: :-bd

I have had an MTB (have two track bikes) one since Swynertons flogged off the purple rigs at a ridiculously cheap price, warranty on the frame got me upgraded to a burnt gold later sold on eBay

Still have a Carver 69er frame looking for a home
once had the infamous Trek 69er SS in burnt gold
most people admired them back in the day, a lot prettier than the carver

Currently running a 2Souls Quarterhorse which is probably may last iteration as it's bombproof

I think singlespeeding is great, teaches the hard way about line choice and keeping momentum, done right is cheap and cheerful, lots of people can be quite passionate about it but at the end of the day it's just fun on bikes so all good
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

riderdown wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:25 pm Currently running a 2Souls Quarterhorse which is probably may last iteration as it's bombproof
Also have a Quarterhorse, also running it SS as my occasional "big" fun bike with a 140 fork (although it's been around both WRT and a BB events on rigid forks).

Many years ago I rode exclusively fixed all winter which made me extremely fit and nearly killed me when I tried to stop at a junction by backpedalling the first ride out on the geared bike in the spring.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Also have a Quarterhorse, also running it SS as my occasional "big" fun bike with a 140 fork
I'm running 120mm, have a 150mm fork but thought it would be too much
FLV

Post by FLV »

Interesting ponderings, thanks for taking the time.

As a few mention, I generally have also come to the conclusion that having the choice is really nice. :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

I’m a bit like you (with a few bikes)

- built the SS this year and have really enjoyed riding it. Got me fitter too.
- geared hardtail
- FS bouncy

I enjoy all 3 and love the variety :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon