Recommend me a cordless combi drill

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Recommend me a cordless combi drill

Post by Boab »

I'm in the mood for a cordless combi drill, as hauling my massive, 30 year old, corded drill up a ladder is getting old. I've already got a couple of Ryobi ONE+ garden tools, so have a couple of batteries, so the easiest thing would be to just buy one of theirs. Not wanting to fall into the sunk cost fallacy, I thought I should ask for recommendations...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
yourguitarhero

Re: Recommend me a cordless combi drill

Post by yourguitarhero »

Ryobi are fine, especially if you have the batteries already.

Otherwise Lidl or Aldi, Worx (also sold as Bauker or Wesco) work well and are cheap for batteries and tools.

I've had good experience with Einhell as well.

Often worth paying a little extra for brushless motors on them if that's an option.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Ryobi are pretty decent - I've got their cordless drill/driver and it works for most uses other than larger masonry drilling, where I break out the corded SDS drill anyway. I assume that the larger combi drill will be a touch more powerful too.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

The ryobi stuff is pretty good nowadays. I’m a fan of dewalt stuff but only because I have batteries so can just buy units are needed.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I’m still using my DeWalt 18v XRP that I bought about 18 years ago
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

My usual recommendation/rant is that unless you are relying on the tools for your full-time job then the in-house brands from the likes of B&Q are good enough. I've a B&Q Performance Power circular saw, got it for a small project and now it might get an hour's use each year. Simply no point in having some top of the line jobbie.

For cordless tools most pros tend to have Makita or DeWalt but if you've already bought into the Ryobi system then I'd stick with them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

I have a Ryobi and its fab. :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks all! I have a few acquaintances who are in the trades, and they all use Makita, which is why I thought I should ask before availing my self of the Ryobi Xmas offer. I mean, I bought a Trend router before I had kids (18 & 16 years old), and I've never used it, so I don't think I need to splash on top of the line equipment.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Best keep quiet about my Makita then .. bloody loves it I do
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've got a mix for my job as a "boucher en bois".
My main brand is Makita with sprinkling of Hikoki(Hitachi) and Dewalt.
All have some outstanding tools and all have some garbage.
The Makita nail guns are utter tosh, I hate the loudness of the paslode as well as the gas needed but like the weight of the tool.
DeWalt make a cracking site table saw and mitre saw stand but I find the rest of the range a bit meh.
Hitachi have some great tools but don't have a full range of battery powered tools yet but they are getting there, not used a bad tool yet from their line up.
What I'm trying to get at is don't get hung up on brands get the best for the job in your price bracket.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Makita for me. I've just replaced my old one which has seen a lot of work over the last 15+ years. It still works but the gearbox (I think) has become noisy and I don't want to be stuck when it finally gives in. I never even considered another brand
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Taylor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:37 pm I've got a mix for my job as a "boucher en bois".
The Makita nail guns are utter tosh, I hate the loudness of the paslode as well as the gas needed but like the weight of the tool.
DeWalt make a cracking site table saw and mitre saw stand but I find the rest of the range a bit meh.
Hitachi have some great tools but don't have a full range of battery powered tools yet but they are getting there, not used a bad tool yet from their line up.
What I'm trying to get at is don't get hung up on brands get the best for the job in your price bracket.
My existing tools are a mix of mains powered models - I got them years ago before the pro-level cordless versions came out. If I was to get some cordless tools I'm sort of stuck with choosing between Makita and Dewalt as my brother has the latter and brother-in-law has Makita! So if I choose one then I'm stuffed with battery backup if I do work for the other :oops: I don't know if anyone does a converter unit so you can use any battery with any tool (I've not looked) but it's quite likely that the batteries have a chip to prevent that. User choice eh?

I did consider going the Makita route and was looking at things like the strimmer and mini-vacuum but they don't get good reviews so didn't get them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

whitestone wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:34 pm
Taylor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:37 pm I've got a mix for my job as a "boucher en bois".
My existing tools are a mix of mains powered models - I got them years ago before the pro-level cordless versions came out. If I was to get some cordless tools I'm sort of stuck with choosing between Makita and Dewalt as my brother has the latter and brother-in-law has Makita! So if I choose one then I'm stuffed with battery backup if I do work for the other :oops: I don't know if anyone does a converter unit so you can use any battery with any tool (I've not looked) but it's quite likely that the batteries have a chip to prevent that. User choice eh?

I did consider going the Makita route and was looking at things like the strimmer and mini-vacuum but they don't get good reviews so didn't get them.
You can get adaptors like the one linked below, never used one myself though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354944647670 ... media=COPY