Ideas for old self inflating sleeping mat?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Martin B

Ideas for old self inflating sleeping mat?

Post by Martin B »

Hi,
I'm looking for MYOG ideas on what to do with an old Alpkit Airo self inflating sleeping mat. a part of it has delaminated on both sides and a bubble of outer material inflates and i suspect that is where the air is slowly escaping from. Did think of slicing it and gluing it but it's a 4-5" diameter bubble and would be messy with no guarantee that it would fix it. I was going to treat myself to a new mat in January anyway, however i can't bring myself to just throw the old mat in the bin.

I'm looking for inspiration on what to do with it in a MYOG capacity. As it's got foam in it, so far i'm thinking of a back panel for a rucsac/messenger bag/hip belt or an insulated stem cell bag.
Anyone out there with a good idea?

Marty
MuddyPete

Re: Ideas for old self inflating sleeping mat?

Post by MuddyPete »

Hmmm...bit stumped really...yep, insulated luggage; or pogies; split it along one edge lengthways and turn into a tarp for the dog/kids/small person; bin bag; floor mat for car/bike DIY?

Or ask Alpkit if they can recycle it.
May you always have tail wind.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Lightweight seat?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

I have a very old Fat Airic that has a small delamination bubble. I thought about using a needle to inject some latex solution into it, or maybe getting some seam grip into the area to re-laminate it. Injecting seam grip sounds difficult but maybe with a larger bore needle? The hole the needle makes is easy enough to seal anyway.

Failing that, you could make a smart padded bottle holder to safeguard a good single malt for the next bothy trip? :smile:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

jameso wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:00 am
Failing that, you could make a smart padded bottle holder to safeguard a good single malt for the next bothy trip? :smile:
Or a holder for fresh eggs to fry for breakfast.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

Thanks all. Some good ideas to try out.
I'm tempted to try a repair, i've not got much to lose.
I do like the idea of a padded malt bottle holder. Might get my sketch pad and pencil out on my days off and see what i can come up with.