Montanas Vacias anyone?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Montanas Vacias anyone?

Post by BreninBeener »

I looking for a fun and tough route for late April/early May.

The Montanas Vacias circular route looks really good to me. It seems like it will be pleasant weather without getting too cold up high.

It also seems nicely remote and exciting. Add this to the circular nature and easy flight out, and it looks ideal for me.

Anybody got any observations or experience?

Thanks

Ian
Teaman

Re: Montanas Vacias anyone?

Post by Teaman »

I'm watching with interest as this is something that I have been wondering about doing about the same time next year. I cycled the Camino del Cid across Spain last year and some of that seemed very remote without seeing anybody for hours on end but I believe this is so remote you could possibly go a day or two without seeing anybody...pleasant if you are expecting this level of remoteness but not so good if you have any serious issues :smile:
postierich

Post by postierich »

I am doing it with Wotsits we are flying out 20th April from Manchester coming back o the 1st of May so looking forward to this trip :-) more the merrier !! not decided if its going to be the Mtb or gravel bike yet :-)
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Hi,
What airport are you flying to?
I'm in Southampton and interested but need to decide whether to explore this area of Spain or go to Jordan which is also an option.
Andy
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

postierich wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:45 pm I am doing it with Wotsits we are flying out 20th April from Manchester coming back o the 1st of May so looking forward to this trip :-) more the merrier !! not decided if its going to be the Mtb or gravel bike yet :-)
Hi,
What airport are you flying to?
I'm in Southampton and interested but need to decide whether to explore this area of Spain or go to Jordan which is also an option.
Andy
postierich

Post by postierich »

Manchester to Valencia and back!
postierich

Post by postierich »

Manchester to Valencia and back!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Then train to Teruel or are you picking up the loop nearer to Valencia and riding there? Be aware that the Valencia Teruel line has been a bit hit and miss lately due to railworks. If you need any help I'm about 2 hours north of Valencia.
Re gravel Vs mountainbike, it's quite rough in places, I'd choose a mountainbike every time.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:34 am Then train to Teruel or are you picking up the loop nearer to Valencia and riding there? Be aware that the Valencia Teruel line has been a bit hit and miss lately due to railworks. If you need any help I'm about 2 hours north of Valencia.
Re gravel Vs mountainbike, it's quite rough in places, I'd choose a mountainbike every time.
Thanks for the above & link Duncan.
I’d forgot about your group trip- great write-up! :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Thanks Duncan as I hadn't seen your write up and it's looking increasingly likely that I will be venturing out to do this in April, hopefully tagging along with the 2 from Manchester :-)
I'm assuming the best place to buy a gas canister would be decathlon in Alicante or Valencia?
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

postierich wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:45 pm I am doing it with Wotsits we are flying out 20th April from Manchester coming back o the 1st of May so looking forward to this trip :-) more the merrier !! not decided if its going to be the Mtb or gravel bike yet :-)
Hi Gents,

I'm looking at flying out to Alicante from Bournemouth and making my way up to Teruel or meeting you in Valencia or where you decide you might start this trip from. Are you thinking of starting the loop from Teruel or perhaps at the south most point directly south of Teruel ? I would quite enjoy meeting up with you both and riding this if that's still okay with you? Obviously we can part ways if for whatever reason we need/want to :grin:
I need to do some more research ref the route and re-supply points etc and give some thought as to how much stuff to take. I'm all for enjoying the experience rather than racing around as quick as possible but having said that, my training is going well and I'm already fitter than I have been for some years. I think I will be taking a stove and will decide whether to just take the bivvy bag or tent after a bit more research. Have you made a decision ref. the latter yet?
postierich

Post by postierich »

Hi Teaman we have booked hostel accomadation for the 20th April and the 29th to the 1st of May here
https://en.caminodelcid.org/servicios/u ... ia-781423/

https://www.urbanyouthhostel.com/

2 riders on gravel bikes one on MTB

was planing on getting the train out to the start then riding back into Valencia

Rich
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Ok, I have now booked my return flights :-bd . I'm arriving late in Alicante on Wed 17/4 and will book some accomodation there for that night. Next day I will sort the bike out and then start the mostly off road route to Valencia. Duncan told me that there is often a strong wind at this time of year that would be a headwind for me, so I decided on this route rather than heading straight up to Teruel....not to mention that this is a fair bit shorter at 240k so I'm hoping my legs won't be too tired by the time I get to Valencia. I plan to get into Valencia on Sat 20th and I may well book into the same hostel as you guys. I will book a train ticket for Sun 21st on the earlier train that you mentioned.
I think it will be reasonably warmer than now as there's still at least a month to go but appreciate the guide says the weather in April can be unpredictable. I'm now wondering about weight on the bike and wondering whether to leave the tent (2.1kg) and just use the bivvy but will review nearer the time and also once I've looked at distances and how the daily mileage might work out with staying in the Refugios etc.

Alicante to Valencia route outline but will look at it in a bit more depth in due course:

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/539647
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Teaman, to book the bike tickets for the train i had to ring Renfe Customer Services in Spain, they're open 24hrs & were really helpful..

https://venta.renfe.com/vol/buscarTrenE ... do?c=_6QSA
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!