Not Another Winter Event (approx Feb, 2024)

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Not Another Winter Event (approx Feb, 2024)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Date to be confirmed (we will decide between us, please suggest and we'll finalise). Thanks to John (Lazarus) to help me sort it and thanks to John Climber to having the idea during 2020 seasons.

Also called, the Alternate Winter Event (or, Winter Event for 'brokies') and I like it cos it doesn't cost me in environmental emissions or fuel and driving time. Also gives me the chance to explore local and resiscover them areas you'd long forgotten.

Road bikes and gravel bikes welcome (as are any other denomination of bike) as well as anyone else (everyone's welcome and might be a chance if you're new to get out n explore with the family, from your shed :-bd ).

Format same as last year, ie.

1. Put your name down, where you're (riding) from & availability dates.
2. You'll get paired up and just suggest to your pair what area you want your grid refs.
3. Go ride it and report back.
4. Try best to keep it local (that's the whole point) as in, ride from your doorstep.
5. Sleeping in your own garden or shed is allowed, but not in the house (if you do, just don't tell us and make some 'improviso' without fibbing).
6. Not mandatory, but I always find a financial commitment always helps the mindset - so £20 to the Food For Gambia Spot Project here if you so wish/can!

Last years event reports are here and the original version dreamt up by Jon is here

Date to be confirmed. No final entry deadlines :o . Ride date before the end of winter, unless you feel you're still in winter in March :-bd
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Not Another Winter Event (approx Feb, 2024)

Entry list:

Shafiq. West Yorkshire. Feb 24th
Phil FatBike. Fife
John (Lazarus) Chorley
Gecko. South Edinburgh
Boxelder. Cockermouth. Cumbria
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice one Shaff, was just thinking about this the other day so count me in. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Nice one Shaff, was just thinking about this the other day so count me in. :-bd
Nice one Phil. Forces me out and I remember last years was nice (but wet/tough). Am hoping it gives me the shove to sort the mtb out too as there's nothing stopping me in terms of parts.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Of course I am doing it . May pick a gravel / road route or I will have to ride rhe same route as last year as you cannot eek out a long off road ride my way.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Count me in :-bd
redefined_cycles

gecko76 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:59 pm Count me in :-bd
Gecko. Where are you from pls. I'll add you to the list. Looking forward to it :-bd
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Edinburgh (south), thanks Shaf.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'm up for a go Shaf, though broken ribs just now mean it'll be a few weeks yet.
Cockermouth, Cumbria.
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am I'm up for a go Shaf, though broken ribs just now mean it'll be a few weeks yet.
Cockermouth, Cumbria.
Nice1 Boxelder. I always think the more issues we have to tackle (broken ribs, ice, being soft etc etc), then the less we have to ride to get the same 'comeuppance' (I think it fits). I'm just so happy that this years ride to London/freezing ride hasn't left me nursing a chest infection :lol: Hence I'm all booked up for a Ra4pha500 in a one or two-er :smile: :sad: Hope it all works out.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm
boxelder wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am I'm up for a go Shaf, though broken ribs just now mean it'll be a few weeks yet.
Cockermouth, Cumbria.
Nice1 Boxelder. I always think the more issues we have to tackle (broken ribs, ice, being soft etc etc), then the less we have to ride to get the same 'comeuppance' (I think it fits). I'm just so happy that this years ride to London/freezing ride hasn't left me nursing a chest infection :lol: Hence I'm all booked up for a Ra4pha500 in a one or two-er :smile: :sad: Hope it all works out.
The destination sounds the grimmest part of that ride :wink: :grin:
redefined_cycles

:lol: I used to think like that :-bd Now I tolerate it, so long as going by bike.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Let me know the date when you know please :-bd

Not sure what's happing with a family issue, so couldn't commit until the very last minute, sorry
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:21 pm Let me know the date when you know please :-bd

Not sure what's happing with a family issue, so couldn't commit until the very last minute, sorry
We never really set it into stone last time, but as long as its done before the Winter is over (calculate it as you wish) or at least Spring is still in :lol:

End of Feb basically, so at the end of Jan me and John Lazarus will hopefully pair everyone up and they can get on with sharing grid refs...

I'll assume that means you're in (due to the nice flexibility on the event as we try to be inclusive, unlike Stu :lol: ) but I'll wait for a confirmation before adding your name to the list John. Ta again for the original ideas.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:42 pm I'll wait for a confirmation before adding your name to the list John. Ta again for the original ideas.
Cheers, 50/50 at present
redefined_cycles

Lets give this til the weekend and get some partners drawn up :smile:
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:10 am Entry list:

Shafiq. West Yorkshire. Feb 24th
Phil FatBike. Fife
John (Lazarus) Chorley
Gecko. South Edinburgh
Boxelder. Cockermouth. Cumbria
Right. Pairs are...

Shafiq gives waypoints to Boxelder

Phil gives waypoints/GRs to Shafiq

John Laz gives GRs to Gecko

Gecko gives points to Phil

Boxelder gives GRs to John

GRs, waypoints, points... All same thing.

Pls can you message your person who you will have sending your GPs (and not the other way round, to reduce workload or confusion). Just tell em which areas of the map to focus on. If your GR maker doesnt get back to you in a week or so just let me or Jon know and we will endeavour to find you spots to ride to. Keep it nice and interesting.

Thanks again...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Super I will be doing a road ride*and get in touch with boxelder.

* only real way to get somewhere new as long distance rides from mine are limited to what i did last year and dont wamt to drive to a start point.
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:51 pm Super I will be doing a road ride*and get in touch with boxelder.

* only real way to get somewhere new as long distance rides from mine are limited to what i did last year and dont wamt to drive to a start point.
I'm same. Another on the road but (other than that I don't wanna be doing many soggy marches) mainly cos I've not yet built the mtb. Looking forward to what you end up doing Jon... Some steep 120 miler I suppose!
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Great. For the newbies (or am I the only one?) are there guidelines to follow in setting GRs? Like how many, and how far apart?

Can BaM be incorporated? Do they all have to be done? Do they have to be done in one weekend or one trip?

I'm sure the answers are somewhere above or in the links, but just to be sure. Thanks.
redefined_cycles

gecko76 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:39 pm Great. For the newbies (or am I the only one?) are there guidelines to follow in setting GRs? Like how many, and how far apart?

Can BaM be incorporated? Do they all have to be done? Do they have to be done in one weekend or one trip?

I'm sure the answers are somewhere above or in the links, but just to be sure. Thanks.
Only real rule (as far as I'm concerned) is to ensure you get a bivy in (if you can). But this event is special as the bivy can be in your own back garden or shed (but that doesn't count for your BAM AFAIK).

Main thing, it's local to you if you wished it to be - so you end up ecploring from your own back door. But in areas that you may never have thought to go before as another person would have set the GRs.

No restriction to how far a grid area you desginate. Just let the person who is setting your GRs know. Be warned that a larger area might get you a 200 mile route. But, no pressure to ride/get them all :-bd
redefined_cycles

Last year reports and the link to the original/inaugural event. All linked in the first post to this thread. 2nd to last paragraph down :grin:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Gotcha :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Haggle.with the.person setting them to make it achievable ( you set the perimeter )

EDIT:Read your message now and.perfect.

Essemtially its an excuse to go ride your bike.somewhere local as long as you try and bivvy its all good
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Shaff, pm received, I'll get on it.
Gecko - I'll drop you a pm but Ochills would be my pref
:-bd