tim woodcocks C2C?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

tim woodcocks C2C?

Post by Mike »

Just came across this now and may take it on as a bike packing trip, has anyone ridden it? if so is it worth the time and effort please
Anthony

Re: tim woodcocks C2C?

Post by Anthony »

You'll get mixed reviews, but personally I loved it.

Guide book reckons on 5 days supported, but it's not that hard, I rode it all Monday teatime to Thurs late morning carrying 5 days of food as I then headed south towards home.

It's a lovely trip with a great variety of trails as you experience quite different areas as you cross the country.

Doing it again I would rely far more on picking up food en route, but I'd ridden the areas very little plus I wanted to do it completely off my own back to steal 5 days by myself. The hike bike sections in Lakes would be far easier without carrying so much food at the start mind you!

Enjoy!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Well worth it. Bit of a multi day right of passage.

Don't believe Woodcock ever rode the route and it benefits from a few mods. The long road section from Reeth to Richmond can mostly be avoided and the end can be shortened as it seems to take the longest diversion ever after the climb out of Goathland.

Hike a bike over Black Sail near the start (Isn't too bad) and you need to do it at a time of year when the bogs over Mossdale are dryish (to the end of Sept would be good)

Somewhere between 3-5 days would be fine depending on how much time you spend in the pub.

Logistics are fairly easy. Enough trains to St Bees and easy to get back from Scarborough (10 miles from Robin Hoods Bay)
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's a cracking ride, but the only section I would think about an alternative for was the moorland climb up to Tan Hill pub, the road section is fine but the off road bit is 2 miles of bog - unrideable.

3 days of youth hostels was great - better to bivvy though but make sure you get food stops regularly as many villages don't have shops.