Scottish Winter Bivvy 9th/10th December

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Scottish Winter Bivvy 9th/10th December

Post by fatbikephil »

The Scottish winter bivvy will take place 9th/10th December at Greensykes bothy in the Scottish Borders https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/both ... reensykes/
All welcome, should be plenty of space inside and out and plenty of dead wood to burn in the stove!

I'll think up some routes - not sure of my own plans as it stands but it's a reasonable shout of Carlisle and Tweedbank train stations so may go for a train option.
gecko76

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy 9th/10th December

Post by gecko76 »

Nice one Phil, looking forward to it. Wondering if spiked tyres might be a smart investment.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Unbelievably draggy ( mtb version) and I was struggling on the flat on my ss never mind the hills.

Grippy as can be though

Expressing interest pending family arrangements) will be going up past Carlisle and possibly able to offer a lift from Manchester ish if I can sort a pass.
Last edited by Lazarus on Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Cheers Phil. Looking forward to it!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'm hoping to clear the decks for this but up against dog duties, 'Dad's Party Bus' needs and a badminton match.
For those who don't know the area around Greensykes, you'll probably pass Jamestown and the birthplace of Thomas Telford https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ ... e_vignette

Loads of 'celtic' stuff around there (not hoops related) and the Buddhist monastery too.
Just your average Borders backwater.......

In case it's helpful to anyone, I'd probably look to park near Kingspool (lovely swimming pool at the confluence of Black and White Esk), and have a chilled clockwise pedal of this - https://explore.osmaps.com/route/194910 ... re&type=2d
#longerridesavailable

Community hub/cafe in Eskdalemuir.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

There's a slim chance I might make it from Bristol.
My dad's taken a fall and broke a few ribs, he's in Carlisle so might go for a visit then slope off on the Saturday.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

All welcome!
Probably going to head down to Moffat and go in via the Romans and Reivers route.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Probably going to head down to Moffat and go in via the Romans and Reivers route.
Well, we know how you love a bit of HaB :grin:
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

I'll likely be heading from Tweedbank via the Borders railway. Anyone familiar with the area spot any problems with this route?

https://www.komoot.com/tour/1385650962? ... H509Vc74OV
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yeah, thanks for herding the cats into vague formation Phil.

Thanks for that Andy, chilled route is what I'm after. Might even bring my poncy lovely-racked bike for easy packing and extra food/beer/fuel carrying capacity :grin: I Was thinking park in Langholm, the road/track along the left bank of the river is nice enough, and there's a fun little trail drops down into the town on the way back, though a variation would be nice.

Can't see any problems with that Gecko, though others may know better. Mostly road to Roberton. I've come straight over Craik Cross when I've come that way from Hawick before, but that looks a slightly longer but slightly lower route. It seems to use a rare link between forestry blocks just SE of Craik Cross but it's on both OS maps as well as OSM so there's a good chance it actually exists. Maybe check Geograph just to make sure.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

boxelder wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:37 pm
Bloody single speeders, any excuse to push :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:07 pm
boxelder wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:37 pm
Bloody single speeders, any excuse to push :grin:
The only reason I had to push in 2019 was that I had a large beer and fire log load :grin: (fatty with gears I might add)
I reckon you'd get up it with a suitably low gear....

Looks a good route that Gecko. I may try and get the train depending on how the works night out goes the night before!
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Aye, what's the etiquette for this sort of thing? I've got my kit sorted for a solo overnighter on the bike, but equally used to a walk-in to a bothy with fuel and booze. How to combine the two? Don't really fancy riding with a rucksack.

Suspect whisky and an axe, for firewood, is the answer.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pretty much a free for all. Shouldn't need an axe as there is usually stuff like that in the bothy. I'll probably bring a beer or three plus the hip flask. I might bring a fire log as well just get things going. There should be plenty wood around so no need to haul in coal Dave!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've busted some ribs today on black ice, so won't be joining in 🤕. Walking through town to post a parcel 😥
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

boxelder wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:30 pm I've busted some ribs today on black ice, so won't be joining in 🤕. Walking through town to post a parcel 😥
Shall I visit you as well on my way to Carlisle?😉
Heal quick fella.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Taylor wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:33 pm
boxelder wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:30 pm I've busted some ribs today on black ice, so won't be joining in 🤕. Walking through town to post a parcel 😥
Shall I visit you as well on my way to Carlisle?😉
Heal quick fella.
Ha - I'd walked across the road to check an old fella who'd fallen over, with a couple of others stood about not sure what to do. By I got there, others had arrived and it seemed in order. In walking around them I stepped on the same patch of sloping black ice that had got him - d'oh. I felt the ribs scrunch as I hit the tarmac. Tear inducing pain now if I move in the wrong way.
Good luck with your Dad. Mine fell in Carlisle three weeks ago and smashed his pelvis. Transferred to Newcastle to be strapped and screwed back together, but then he got a bad infection - not great at 89! On the mend now, slowly.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sorry to hear that Andy :sad: Hope they heal quickly.
There should be plenty wood around so no need to haul in coal Dave!
Yeah, it's usually pretty well stocked, but I don't like to turn up empty handed, even if it's a token effort. I'll not be "doing a Bridget" though... Veterans of the Dryfehead edition of the SWB will understand. Speaking of, this is practically her back garden - haven't noticed her posting on here recently though...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:44 pm Sorry to hear that Andy :sad: Hope they heal quickly.
There should be plenty wood around so no need to haul in coal Dave!
Yeah, it's usually pretty well stocked, but I don't like to turn up empty handed, even if it's a token effort. I'll not be "doing a Bridget" though... Veterans of the Dryfehead edition of the SWB will understand. Speaking of, this is practically her back garden - haven't noticed her posting on here recently though...
That's a sore one Andy, get well soon, plus your Dad.
I'll drop Bridget a PM - she might pick it up.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I've contacted Bridget and unfortunately she's unable to attend. Health issues have kept her off the bike since the summer but there's an outside chance she might manage a short walk in to the bothy. I've advised her it'll be a lot easier if she doesn't lug in a big bag of coal! :grin:
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Stayed at Greensykes a couple of weeks ago with Fargoist, the old stove with ‘Greensykes’ laser-cut into the door has been replaced with a glass-fronted one that has already had half the glass replaced with some steel plate 🫤
There’s an open fire in the LH room & no stove/fireplace in the small middle room.

There was plenty of wood-saws in there & a cracking log-splitting axe! 🪓
I carried in a bag of logs & some coal, there was some wood both inside & in the outside lean-to, but I wouldn’t say loads. I’d carry as much wood/coal in as you can if you don’t want to chance going short 👍
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Good to know.

Right, one Anytime ticket booked for Edinburgh to Tweedbank on Saturday (aiming for the 10.11 from Waverley), and another for the return on Sunday (a WhatsApp chat with 'Angus' at ScotRail confirmed they don't do Open Returns on that route for some reason).

Fears of ice have receded; it's just looking damp now.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Wotsits wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:14 pm Stayed at Greensykes a couple of weeks ago with Fargoist, the old stove with ‘Greensykes’ laser-cut into the door has been replaced with a glass-fronted one that has already had half the glass replaced with some steel plate 🫤
There’s an open fire in the LH room & no stove/fireplace in the small middle room.

There was plenty of wood-saws in there & a cracking log-splitting axe! 🪓
I carried in a bag of logs & some coal, there was some wood both inside & in the outside lean-to, but I wouldn’t say loads. I’d carry as much wood/coal in as you can if you don’t want to chance going short 👍
Cheers for the update. Will try and bring some fuel then. Not much fun sitting around in the cold.
gecko76 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:05 pm Good to know.

Right, one Anytime ticket booked for Edinburgh to Tweedbank on Saturday (aiming for the 10.11 from Waverley), and another for the return on Sunday (a WhatsApp chat with 'Angus' at ScotRail confirmed they don't do Open Returns on that route for some reason).

Fears of ice have receded; it's just looking damp now.
:-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

JimmyG wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:36 pm I've contacted Bridget and unfortunately she's unable to attend. Health issues have kept her off the bike since the summer but there's an outside chance she might manage a short walk in to the bothy. I've advised her it'll be a lot easier if she doesn't lug in a big bag of coal! :grin:
:lol:
Sorry to hear she's off the bike, but at least she's still walking.