EU bike shop charges!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

EU bike shop charges!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Is there a way that some could be avoided. I got this dropper post from a shop in Germany. The VAT charges were a bit unclear. The price of the dropper (Highline xc/gravel by CrankBros) was about £190 here in UK and I nabbed for only £131. There was a minimum spend so I ended up making the basket up to over £150.

Now it arrived and I get this invoice. Surely there's a way of not needing to pay some of these charges if I were to follow some steps before they sent it out. But I don't know what/how...

Anyone know of any particulars that might help :sad:
whitestone

Re: EU bike shop charges!

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, the VAT rules changed EU wide prior to brexit as a result the UK has *exactly* the same rules as the EU except that HMRC talks about a £135 limit rather than €150 in the EU documentation.

Below €150/£135 the seller is responsible for collecting and then passing on the VAT to the relevant authority, above that limit it's the purchaser (or in the case of goods coming into the UK from the EU) the importer that's liable. Depending on who the courier is, they may hold the goods until you pay the VAT/duty or they may deliver them and then invoice you as in your case.

When it comes to VAT/duty you are dealing with a bit of the state apparatus that you really, really don't want to be messing with :lol: My dad would say that if the Inland Revenue turned up he'd make them stand outside in the rain, if the customs/VAT man turned up he'd just say "in you come" because they'd just break the door down if he didn't! Slight exaggeration, but not much.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what he said

Can , potentially, buts its against the law and therefore i am warning you not advising you*, get the goods described as either SMAMPLE or WARRANTY RETURN/REPLACEMENT to avoid - most likely happen with a small bespoke bikepacking brand than big commercial shop.

* never done nor do i know anyone who has
redefined_cycles

No, no... I'm not trying to dodge the VAT. Bob, they didn't deliver and I paid for DHL but it was Parcelforce that left me the note or they'd send it back.

I'm hoping there must surely be a way of avoiding the processing fee, like that £12 Parcelforce whacked. Idnever think about dodging thw tax/VAT persons :o :smile:
redefined_cycles

Jon, yes I thought about that (in daydreaming after I'd been sent that letter). But I Dare not ever ask any of the smaller or larger sellers in case it all goes horribly wrong (for me or them).
redefined_cycles

Oh... and what Bob explains, means i get Mantel policy of £135 max orders now for us.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:52 pm No, no... I'm not trying to dodge the VAT. Bob, they didn't deliver and I paid for DHL but it was Parcelforce that left me the note or they'd send it back.

I'm hoping there must surely be a way of avoiding the processing fee, like that £12 Parcelforce whacked. Idnever think about dodging thw tax/VAT persons :o :smile:
The processing fee is from the courier not HMRC, IME they all charge somewhere between £8 & £12*. The only way to avoid that is to keep under the £135 limit. However that then restricts you as not every vendor wishes to register with HMRC (and pay a substantial fee to do so), thus you get some vendors refusing to send orders under £135 to the UK - that depends on how much trade they do with UK customers and the distribution of order values.

Note that all this applies for stuff from the States as well.

* From memory: FedEx deliver and then bill you; Parcelforce want payment upfront; can't remember what DHL or the others do.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob... I think it was with the UPS that I heard good things and have had good exp :grin:

I still don't get how I paid for DHL but it's ended up in the hands of ParcelForce :smile: Oh well. I guess I'll have to like/lump it.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just think of it as your contribution towards the £350 million a week that's going to the NHS.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In my experience it's something of a lottery Shaf.

However, sending stuff to the EU is considerably more difficult - most packages now take anywhere between 2 weeks and a month and around 40% get returned undelivered. Another Brexit bonus for us all to enjoy there :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:51 pm Just think of it as your contribution towards the £350 million a week that's going to the NHS.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
redefined_cycles

Explained by Stu. Ta. Liars once again...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

In my experience it's something of a lottery Shaf.

However, sending stuff to the EU is considerably more difficult - most packages now take anywhere between 2 weeks and a month and around 40% get returned undelivered. Another Brexit bonus for us all to enjoy there :-bd
Thanks Stu. I suppose I still made a little bit of a saving (even if there was a 1 week wait, and returns will be interesting :lol: ) and at least I now know why some shops have a £135 limit. I might end up sticking to that in future (plus, delivery from Mantel.com is super rapid usually).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, I really don't get your point
Shaf, I believe Duncan is referring to the governments pledge (lie) that a successful (sic) Brexit would allow them to put £350 million a week into the NHS.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Oh... I don't swear, but... the bar stewards. Our funding is consistently being ground down further and further (well, that's what we see on the shop floor). Thanks Stu/Duncan.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

whitestone wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:08 pm
When it comes to VAT/duty you are dealing with a bit of the state apparatus that you really, really don't want to be messing with :lol: My dad would say that if the Inland Revenue turned up he'd make them stand outside in the rain, if the customs/VAT man turned up he'd just say "in you come" because they'd just break the door down if he didn't! Slight exaggeration, but not much.
A former colleague took the VAT people to court regarding how he was defined for VAT purposes, and he won. The next tax year they changed the rules so that he had to pay.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
redefined_cycles

Arrived yesterday but didn't have the desperation to open it foe some reason. Here it is though...

If someone is really good at euro to gbp conversions then this is the setback :lol:

Still don't know why they used Parcelforce after apparently invoicing me for DHL. Maybe I read it wrong but certain the charge was £19.99 for the DHL in the basket. But this says I paid 9.99euro.

Anyway, still a good saving as (off the top of the head) the chain tool was about £20 locally and the tubeless tape another £25. Couldn't find TESA tape on ebay anymore and I needed to up the basket to their minimal order of £160.

Thanks all :smile:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

DHL often sub-contract to Parcelforce "for the last mile" if it's in an area they don't have a local depot. That could be why?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Happy to hear a review of the mini chain tool esp ease of use as i know its tiny and light..have looked at them.as lost my topeak one when i forgot to zip up my.frame bag
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:10 pm Happy to hear a review of the mini chain tool esp ease of use as i know its tiny and light..have looked at them.as lost my topeak one when i forgot to zip up my.frame bag
I can sort that for you John... watch this space.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »