Wtd: bikepacking gear for a mate

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Wtd: bikepacking gear for a mate

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi all and thanks for taking a peek at this here thread. After many years of canvassing my community (muslim and/or asian) and having mixed success, I think I may have found my first proper (roadie) bikepacking partner.

A lad from somewhere up by Bolton or wherever. As you all might know I try and do an Freedom for Aafia Siddiqui ride every year and this year will be the 240 miler from Dewsbury Masjid to (a) London Masjid again. He's keen to join me and the ride is mid-December. It'll be a steep learning curve for the young (well, compared to use elderly folk) lad and I really don't want him to die.

Hence, some of the gear he sent me (the cheap and cheerful variety) I've tried to convince him against it. I suggested he ask some of you hardened bikepacking folk for your spares and/or advice. I also mentioned that I'd open a page where he could request any goodies you have.... etc etc etc.

So far he's bought a Thermarest mat with an r value of 2.1. It was cheap off TrekLite forum and I did say it might be a bit cold - he'll learn as it's 7 times better than the trash he was thinking of before that. It's more like a half mat, but we don't plan to stop/sleep for long. Erm... I think I'll shut up and let him speak for himself. Ta all...
Lazarus

Re: Wtd: bikepacking gear for a mate

Post by Lazarus »

Can probably sort out a front harness , might even have a choice
Also somewhere neat Bokton so collection/ delivery may be possible
Think I have a small.gas stove to give away and a couple of aluminium pots .May have a spare ti one (.some other stuff when I have a look at what i used with the kids ( not a chance they are coming bikepacking ever again.
Shaf has my contact details
redefined_cycles

Ta John. Hopefully he might take a look soon enough. Yes, vollection is what he needs to do as he needs to keep riding far and wide :-bd
NasirK

Post by NasirK »

Hi Lazarus, I'm shafiq's m8. Thanks for the generous offer, I'm definitely interested, will pm you.
ton

Post by ton »

bomb proof Goretex bivi bag here, FOC if it is of use to your mate Shaf. it will deffo keep him dry and protected from the wind, better than the megabuck flimsy lightweight tosh.
redefined_cycles

Very true Ton. Hopefully he'll nod a yes to it. Is it the 1kg version. Perfect for winter, just needs a nice framebag to fit it in :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

also got a alpkit seat bag, the tapered one, and a lomo bag what will sit perfect on a front harness.

https://alpkit.com/collections/everythi ... ra-tapered

https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/12l-dry ... th-window/

all FOC
NasirK

Post by NasirK »

Hi Ton, I really appreciate the generous offer. I'll pm u.
rivers

Post by rivers »

If the stove and pot didn't pan out, I have a spare. I might even have some cutlery
sqibjib

Post by sqibjib »

Hi Shaf

I will have a rummage tomorrow in work. I might have a spare top tube bag. And a few other bits knocking about. Are you ok for bike bits or is it just sleeping stuff and bags you are after.

Cheers
Life is better on a bike
After work bivi film https://youtu.be/N-xxarJkrpE
redefined_cycles

Thanks you lot. You're too kind. I'll let him answer that, but I reckon its just sleeping gear he needs. Seems he's been riding some big rides (muddy ones too Rough Stuff Fellowship style, though he probably didn't know mud's rideable on skinny tires) and in all weathers. So I imagine he's sorted now...

Unless he says otherwise. I reckon the top tube bag will be a game changer, thanks Stu.