Winter Bivvy?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JimmyG

Re: Winter Bivvy?

Post by JimmyG »

I'm all ears here folks and will be up for wherever the consensus takes us. I must say Phil, that open-sided 'shed' in Falkland Estate did look good.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Boab wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:05 pm Anyone from the flat lands fancy an East Angular Winter Bivvy...?
Rapideye wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:39 pm Boab...I'd be up for that assuming dates work out.
I've always enjoyed the winter bivvy, although last years welsh one got snowed off...

Anyway, I'm in East Anglia (Bury St Edmunds way), be interested in tagging along. Have to say, the Yorkshire one has always been my favourite :smile:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

RIP wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:32 am ...some of the best experiences of my life on past Winter Bivvies - the various Long Mynd ones springing to mind, especially the notorious 'ice skating' one.....
R'amen to that! Winter Bivvy is the best of the year. This one was particularly memorable.

https://vimeo.com/148850259

Greetz

S : )
Boab

Post by Boab »

Zippy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:45 pm
Boab wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:05 pm Anyone from the flat lands fancy an East Angular Winter Bivvy...?
Rapideye wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:39 pm Boab...I'd be up for that assuming dates work out.
I've always enjoyed the winter bivvy, although last years welsh one got snowed off...

Anyway, I'm in East Anglia (Bury St Edmunds way), be interested in tagging along. Have to say, the Yorkshire one has always been my favourite :smile:
We should maybe start its own thread then. I was thinking about contacting Wicken Fen to see if the basics campsite was available; open sided shelters, a fire pit and a composting loo. Meet at Cambridge Station, do a bit of a ride, camp, brekkie at Maglia Rosso, then either back to Cambridge or Bury St Edmunds if folks need the train; or just disperse. 🤷
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Boab wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:38 pm
We should maybe start its own thread then. I was thinking about contacting Wicken Fen to see if the basics campsite was available; open sided shelters, a fire pit and a composting loo. Meet at Cambridge Station, do a bit of a ride, camp, brekkie at Maglia Rosso, then either back to Cambridge or Bury St Edmunds if folks need the train; or just disperse. 🤷
Count me in, I'm pretty easy going - it's a social affair :-bd

Currently available all the weekends, would probably prefer 16th/17th December on preference.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Zippy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:10 pm
Boab wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:38 pm
Count me in, I'm pretty easy going - it's a social affair :-bd

Currently available all the weekends, would probably prefer 16th/17th December on preference.
I would be interested in a East Anglia bivvy depending on dates :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Seems awfully quiet this year.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

@FatBikePhil any news on that spot nr Falkland?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've drawn a complete blank I'm afraid Gecko. I've got one more avenue to try thanks to a suggestion from someone I know in the countryside trust I was speaking to this weekend. Should know by the end of this week

For plan B I did think of Duinish bothy again as per 2017 (north of Loch Rannoch). It's a bit basic but has a large fire place.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Cool, just let us know. You mentioned Devilla Forest before, and the Borders (plans C and D). I'm easy, but would prefer a start point reachable by train.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right, that's definite no to the Fife 5 star bivvy spot x( We should have just turned up as after having been told it's not for hire (but no indication of what it is used for) I'd be reluctant to try it given I'd said it was for the weekend after next....

So Plan b (D?) is needed - I'd be up for Devilla forest if the weather is looking OK - I've a good spot which will sleep a few with options to suit most shelter types. I've cooled on Duirnish bothy in Perthshire so Plan E is a bothy in the Borders - I'm thinking Geensykes as we've not been there yet and within range of Tweedbank station. Or Wills bothy a bit further out.

Any suggestions or ideas welcome!
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Ah well, thanks for trying. Guessing hiring it would have been against the rules in any case but good to keep it in mind for a sneaky future bivi.

Those other options look good to me, with a leaning towards one of the bothies.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Assuming we're talking about the 9th/10th December, I'm up for it. Like Gecko, I'm probably more inclined towards the bothy option and from what I've read online, the Greensykes one looks bigger, with three rooms.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right lets go with Greensykes then :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'd sort of written this off with other potential plans floating around, and let's face it, a lack of motivation to head into the cold damp outdoors... But it turns out I'm free till the Sunday afternoon, and Greensykes is a great bothy and not far, so it would be rude not to really.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Can you keep me in the loop re greenskyes as its reasonably drivable.for me and on my to do list. Depends if I can arrange stuff re kids so not sure yet.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Boab wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:38 pm We should maybe start its own thread then. I was thinking about contacting Wicken Fen to see if the basics campsite was available; open sided shelters, a fire pit and a composting loo. Meet at Cambridge Station, do a bit of a ride, camp, brekkie at Maglia Rosso, then either back to Cambridge or Bury St Edmunds if folks need the train; or just disperse. 🤷
I have finally phoned Wicken Fen and the basics campsite is not available at the moment; evidently they're thinking of opening it again in the later half of next year*. So if anyone fancies an East Angular Winter Bivvy, we'll have to think of somewhere else to go; I'm open to suggestions...

* I mean, it's not gone anywhere and is still there, you're just not able to book it. Probably bad form to just pitch up and use it...
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Boab, That's a shame as it looked a good spot. I'll struggle to fit it in before Xmas. Kids and prep are going to tie me up.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:25 am Can you keep me in the loop re greenskyes as its reasonably drivable.for me and on my to do list. Depends if I can arrange stuff re kids so not sure yet.
Ooh, if I can sort the dog out, that would be doable. Some nice pedalling round there. And it has a toilet (or am I misremembering.....)
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

boxelder wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:37 pm
Lazarus wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:25 am Can you keep me in the loop re greenskyes as its reasonably drivable.for me and on my to do list. Depends if I can arrange stuff re kids so not sure yet.
Ooh, if I can sort the dog out, that would be doable. Some nice pedalling round there. And it has a toilet (or am I misremembering.....)
I was just thinking this afternoon "I wonder if Andy's seen this". There's a separate thread now. Yep, composting toilet there IIRC.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

If you go to Greensykes, you'll probably pass Jamestown and the birthplace of Thomas Telford https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ ... e_vignette
Loads of 'celtic' stuff around there (not hoops related) and the Buddhist monastery too.
Just your average Borders backwater.......
Working on being free but up against dog duties, 'Dad's Party Bus' needs and a badminton match.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Boab wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:11 pm
Boab wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:38 pm We should maybe start its own thread then. I was thinking about contacting Wicken Fen to see if the basics campsite was available; open sided shelters, a fire pit and a composting loo. Meet at Cambridge Station, do a bit of a ride, camp, brekkie at Maglia Rosso, then either back to Cambridge or Bury St Edmunds if folks need the train; or just disperse. 🤷
I have finally phoned Wicken Fen and the basics campsite is not available at the moment; evidently they're thinking of opening it again in the later half of next year*. So if anyone fancies an East Angular Winter Bivvy, we'll have to think of somewhere else to go; I'm open to suggestions...

* I mean, it's not gone anywhere and is still there, you're just not able to book it. Probably bad form to just pitch up and use it...
I appear to be tied up 16-17 now, can probs still make next weekend.

There's some shelters (3 sides and a roof, but concrete floor) in Thetford Forest (you can see it from the red route), and indeed in their playground areas you could probs camp down somewhere. Could almost ride round during the day, spot some shelters, go to pub and then head to them after the pub...
I haven't really got time this week to plan much though :-|

I'm happy to tag along any other ideas too.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Zippy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:27 pm I appear to be tied up 16-17 now, can probs still make next weekend.

There's some shelters (3 sides and a roof, but concrete floor) in Thetford Forest (you can see it from the red route), and indeed in their playground areas you could probs camp down somewhere. Could almost ride round during the day, spot some shelters, go to pub and then head to them after the pub...

I canny do the weekend of the 16th/17th anyway, got to pick son up form Uni. I did think High Lodge might yield a suitable spot, so why not...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Boab wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:18 pm
Zippy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:27 pm I appear to be tied up 16-17 now, can probs still make next weekend.

I canny do the weekend of the 16th/17th anyway, got to pick son up form Uni. I did think High Lodge might yield a suitable spot, so why not...
What bike are you thinking Boab? I can either go gravel or MTB...26er rigid is perfect for the Thetford traisl IMHO but gravel does get round fine.

Could meet lunchtime-ish at High Lodge - blatz round the trails/playground eyeing up somewhere to sleep, then pedal off to a pub in Thetford/Brandon or further afield (sorry, no local knowledg on these!), make more plans as we go/in the pub?

I know here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/hAv8nGFjGZC3UQXw9 is good for breakfast though!

Sound good?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Zippy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:58 pm What bike are you thinking Boab? I can either go gravel or MTB...26er rigid is perfect for the Thetford traisl IMHO but gravel does get round fine.

Could meet lunchtime-ish at High Lodge - blatz round the trails/playground eyeing up somewhere to sleep, then pedal off to a pub in Thetford/Brandon or further afield (sorry, no local knowledg on these!), make more plans as we go/in the pub?

I know here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/hAv8nGFjGZC3UQXw9 is good for breakfast though!

Sound good?
Well, I'm currently off work with whatever lurgy put pay to my BAM run, and generally still feeling like poor show. Not sure cycling in the rain this weekend would be the best plan health wise. 😞
If I some how magically improve before then, I'll let you know...