BB200 Oct 2023 VIDEO recap - A rookie mistake(?)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Valerio

BB200 Oct 2023 VIDEO recap - A rookie mistake(?)

Post by Valerio »

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, there are already a few conversations on this year BB but I thought it might be easier to go back and find this video if it has its own topic.

I don't know how the likes of Sofiane can sing and dance (and record) during events.
It's incredibly time consuming, and when things get tough (I.e. when realising the spar in Rhayader is closing soon) I just tend to forget about the camera.

Anyway, here's my video recap from the BB200 I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/AyRsoCUMIyo

Comments, advices, insults, are all equally welcome.

Thanks to Alex, Matthew and Tom for letting me use their clips especially the ones from Strata Florida.
I was NOT in a good mood at that point (was anyone?!)

3weeks have gone by and I'm now dangerously considering doing this crazy event again.
Last edited by Valerio on Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not a fluffy gravel rider.
Organiser of the Tor Divide
https://tordivide.co.uk
fatbikephil

Re: BB200 Oct 2023 - rookie mistake(?)

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one that Valerio - 65kph on that first grassy descent was a bit lively :grin:
Definitely captured the 'spirit' of the route...
Valerio

Re: BB200 Oct 2023 - rookie mistake(?)

Post by Valerio »

Thanks Phil!

I knew i was going fast - way too fast, i didnt see a rocky drop approaching, braking on grass is tricky, and that could have ended badly - 65kph seems like a lot but that's what the GPS picked up. :o

BB200 definitely turned out to be different from what I expected, but I can see why (some) people are drawn to it :lol:
redefined_cycles

Re: BB200 Oct 2023 VIDEO recap - A rookie mistake(?)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for that Valerio. Really enjoyed it and the credit to Allen B in the vid was ace :-bd

You git a sub from me and look forward the other vids. So glad I missed it now (that's probably the 4th time I've said that publicly) :lol:
Valerio

Post by Valerio »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:43 am Thanks for that Valerio. Really enjoyed it and the credit to Allen B in the vid was ace :-bd

You git a sub from me and look forward the other vids. So glad I missed it now (that's probably the 4th time I've said that publicly) :lol:

Thank you!!!

I'd say good for you hahahahhaa I kind of wish I missed it too haha.
If you have time to kill there are a couple of better videos from drier rides this year.

I know it sounds a bit cheesy and groupie-esque but videos like Alan's are what inspired me to take on cycling and bikepacking a couple of years ago. I'm so glad I did and it was great to bump into Allan on the ride and have a chat with him.
redefined_cycles

Indeed. Allen is a great lad and it's funny where you'd meet him on your travels (saw him during a work/job in the Lakes - felt surreal but it was him after having slept in the Lakes). Definitely can identify with what you said at the end, that what kind of stupid ride was that without clear trails.

I have often pondered that point and it's the reason why I've gone back to my yearly/compulsory ride being the CVMBC which is only 30 miles and takes 4 hours. That way missing the BB200 doesn't hurt as much and... and... After seeing 'the others (which now includes you)' completing it in under 24 hours with a smile, I get more self determination to earn my black badge.

Not that I'm bothered about a black badge, just want a series of BB200 badges in various colours to dot around the house and keep reminding me of the ambition (if I'm still alive and kicking) to be still riding/attempting the BB200 when I'm 70 (that's if the likes of Kiers Starmer, piss bottle, Bush, Rishi the pig, Macron the muslim women hater and Blair the Iraqi children killer haven't ethnically cleansed me into a little cage by then* :lol: ).

Back on point... Regards the BB200 Valerio, a little oft-missed point that many might not know is that Stu and Dee donate a good sum from the event entry fees to mountain rescue. So not only are you self punishing (is that an appropriate word) but also benefiting charity. Oh, and your title-question in the vid, 'hardest bikepacking event of the UK'? Stu doesn't like to cat it as such and I've little exp in the others but for me it certainly is.

Oh, and a prediction about Allen. I reckon once he's completed his black badge he'll then be going for a bb300 and use that as the stepping stone to get into the HT550. Maybe you didn't know that, but it counts as a thing on the bikepacking CV to gain entry into the HT550 (if you're accepted).

Still can't believe how you all make vids and get a black!

*I'm a self determined muslim that tries to practice free speech :-bd [edit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c1G4JrnAGKw ].
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

a little oft-missed point that many might not know is that Stu and Dee donate a good sum from the event entry fees to mountain rescue.
Not true Shaf' Money from the WRT goes to the Air Ambulance, money from the BB200 goes towards bills :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That crazy shitty / muddy bit where Alan complains... could have been worse, I went all the way down the hill there. :oops:
M4tt

Post by M4tt »

Richard G wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:28 pm That crazy shitty / muddy bit where Alan complains... could have been worse, I went all the way down the hill there. :oops:
You are not the only one that did that! #-O
Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Richard G wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:28 pm That crazy shitty / muddy bit where Alan complains... could have been worse, I went all the way down the hill there. :oops:
I'm glad I arrived right when people were finding ways to go past it and decided to go for the fence rather than gate.
In hindsight, it all got washed by the rivers anyway hahaha
Valerio

Post by Valerio »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:27 pm Indeed. Allen is a great lad and it's funny where you'd meet him on your travels (saw him during a work/job in the Lakes - felt surreal but it was him after having slept in the Lakes). Definitely can identify with what you said at the end, that what kind of stupid ride was that without clear trails.

I have often pondered that point and it's the reason why I've gone back to my yearly/compulsory ride being the CVMBC which is only 30 miles and takes 4 hours. That way missing the BB200 doesn't hurt as much and... and... After seeing 'the others (which now includes you)' completing it in under 24 hours with a smile, I get more self determination to earn my black badge.

Not that I'm bothered about a black badge, just want a series of BB200 badges in various colours to dot around the house and keep reminding me of the ambition (if I'm still alive and kicking) to be still riding/attempting the BB200 when I'm 70 (that's if the likes of Kiers Starmer, piss bottle, Bush, Rishi the pig, Macron the muslim women hater and Blair the Iraqi children killer haven't ethnically cleansed me into a little cage by then* :lol: ).

Back on point... Regards the BB200 Valerio, a little oft-missed point that many might not know is that Stu and Dee donate a good sum from the event entry fees to mountain rescue. So not only are you self punishing (is that an appropriate word) but also benefiting charity. Oh, and your title-question in the vid, 'hardest bikepacking event of the UK'? Stu doesn't like to cat it as such and I've little exp in the others but for me it certainly is.

Oh, and a prediction about Allen. I reckon once he's completed his black badge he'll then be going for a bb300 and use that as the stepping stone to get into the HT550. Maybe you didn't know that, but it counts as a thing on the bikepacking CV to gain entry into the HT550 (if you're accepted).

Still can't believe how you all make vids and get a black!

*I'm a self determined muslim that tries to practice free speech :-bd [edit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c1G4JrnAGKw ].
Taking videos something I really enjoy and it takes an awful lot of time. At least for me (and I'm not the type that stages shots or goes around with a drone). I don't know how really fast people do it.
Having now done a couple of these events it really makes me wonder if ultras are for me, as there isn't any time to stop and enjoy the places one visits.
On the other hand, less stopping means seeing more in less time.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:51 pm
a little oft-missed point that many might not know is that Stu and Dee donate a good sum from the event entry fees to mountain rescue.
Not true Shaf' Money from the WRT goes to the Air Ambulance, money from the BB200 goes towards bills :wink:
Sorry. Other way round then. They know what I meant :-bd
redefined_cycles

Seeing more, in less time :lol: wish I could do that. From your time doing it first time round and the fact you hardly complained, seems like ultras are indeed for you.

Maybe they're not for me :smile: :o
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Valerio wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:41 pm Taking videos something I really enjoy and it takes an awful lot of time. At least for me (and I'm not the type that stages shots or goes around with a drone). I don't know how really fast people do it.
Having now done a couple of these events it really makes me wonder if ultras are for me, as there isn't any time to stop and enjoy the places one visits.
I think I commented to Allen that Stu had found the second worst BW in Hafren :grin: (that one pushing through the trees just after you passed him), we passed one end of the worst on the way back, if he'd included that I wouldn't have even started!

After you've done a few BB events (not just the BB200/300) you recognise lots of places you've been before, of course there's always something "new" - I hadn't been out to Strata Florida or over Carnau for example but from Rhaeadr back there was only about 8km of road and the BW into Hafren that I'd not done before. The tracks in and out of Bwlch y Sarnau have been on several BB200s.

The BB200 is a bit of an oddity in that if you are fit enough (I wasn't this year) then it's not too bad to blast through it. I had a seven hour bivy so in theory I might *just* have made 24hrs but in reality I was going so slowly before grabbing a kip that it wasn't on - in the morning I was riding up grades in fifth or sixth gear that had me walking the night before. I think it was Ian Barrington who noted that getting a blue badge was possibly the hardest since it's an odd pace, if you are riding quickly then you are unlikely to want to bivy so likely to get sub 24hr, if you do bivy then you'll be over 28hr.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

whitestone wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:02 pm
Valerio wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:41 pm Taking videos something I really enjoy and it takes an awful lot of time. At least for me (and I'm not the type that stages shots or goes around with a drone). I don't know how really fast people do it.
I think I commented to Allen that Stu had found the second worst BW in Hafren :grin: (that one pushing through the trees just after you passed him), we passed one end of the worst on the way back, if he'd included that I wouldn't have even started!

After you've done a few BB events (not just the BB200/300) you recognise lots of places you've been before, of course there's always something "new" - I hadn't been out to Strata Florida or over Carnau for example but from Rhaeadr back there was only about 8km of road and the BW into Hafren that I'd not done before. The tracks in and out of Bwlch y Sarnau have been on several BB200s.

The BB200 is a bit of an oddity in that if you are fit enough (I wasn't this year) then it's not too bad to blast through it. I had a seven hour bivy so in theory I might *just* have made 24hrs but in reality I was going so slowly before grabbing a kip that it wasn't on - in the morning I was riding up grades in fifth or sixth gear that had me walking the night before. I think it was Ian Barrington who noted that getting a blue badge was possibly the hardest since it's an odd pace, if you are riding quickly then you are unlikely to want to bivy so likely to get sub 24hr, if you do bivy then you'll be over 28hr.
I'd not actually considered this about the blue badge. I've been thinking of going for the blue next year, I'd have the full set of 200 badges then..plus it puts the 300 off for another year :lol:
Valerio

Post by Valerio »

I'd tend to agree, but I think the blue badge is a nice "consolation prize" for someone missing out on the black badge (which could easily happen due to mechanicals, etc).
It's also a good target for someone who absolutely needs a nap and is not able to carry on through the night.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Valerio wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:10 pm I'd tend to agree, but I think the blue badge is a nice "consolation prize" for someone missing out on the black badge (which could easily happen due to mechanicals, etc).
It's also a good target for someone who absolutely needs a nap and is not able to carry on through the night.
I think it was the 2018 edition when I considered taking a deliberate bivy at the toilet block in Hafren just to get a blue rather than a black. In the end I just carried on and finished a couple of hours later in 20hrs or so.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

I really don't think a 28H badge is too hard (for me). Cos if I continue going I'll most likely just about hit the cut off point for one. When I stop then I just about hit the cut off point for a standard 36H badge. I've forgotten the colours, but know a black is a 24H.

Thought a blue was the standard 36H for some reason and the middle one a green. But I've obviously lost track due to lack of em :lol: (sorry, I'm so frigging slow!).
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I absolutely loved this edit. Mrs liked it too. I’ve watched it a couple of times now, it’s reminded me how hard it was this year. Feeling sick on the route didn’t help either.

It was a pleasure to meet you and have a bit of a chat for a while, until I fell to bits. Just as well I was solo for that bit.

I hadn’t realised quite how much I may have had an effect on you taking up bike packing until I read this and also the messages we’ve shared since. I’m genuinely taken back, but I’m pleased you enjoy the content I create. It’s for myself when I can’t do it any more, but I’m happy that you’ve found it entertaining also.
Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:00 pm I absolutely loved this edit. Mrs liked it too. I’ve watched it a couple of times now, it’s reminded me how hard it was this year. Feeling sick on the route didn’t help either.

It was a pleasure to meet you and have a bit of a chat for a while, until I fell to bits. Just as well I was solo for that bit.

I hadn’t realised quite how much I may have had an effect on you taking up bike packing until I read this and also the messages we’ve shared since. I’m genuinely taken back, but I’m pleased you enjoy the content I create. It’s for myself when I can’t do it any more, but I’m happy that you’ve found it entertaining also.
Thanks Allen, my pleasure to meet you and to see that you are just like you are on your videos. A really nice genuine guy who enjoys riding his bike (and doing daft rides on it).

Covid was a tough boring time, and your videos helped greatly.
Now, where can I send you a bill for all the bikepacking gear I bought?! :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Erm, in a word - no 🫢 you made your choices and it was expensive hehe.

I’m glad it helped you through, and I’m happy that it got you into it. Riding bikes and sleeping in ditches is what it’s all about!

Thanks again mate, genuinely means a lot.