MLD Trailstar - tell me how good they are?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

polarcherry

MLD Trailstar - tell me how good they are?

Post by polarcherry »

My have just slipped and bought a MLD Trailstar. After looking at one for while, there are loads of reviews but not any from a mtb/bikepacking viewpoint?

If I like it I will prob have the perfect starter set up for sale - Golite Lair with poles 350g tarp and most of the protection of a tent but with the views of a tarp :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: MLD Trailstar - tell me how good they are?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The amount of internal space for the weight is amazing. Even when set low at a meter there's still ample room for 2 + gear. Very stable and easy to pitch once you've got the hang of it.

The only issue can be the large footprint ... people talk about piching it over rocks, logs, etc but you can't do that with trees ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

Loveittobits so far. Bought it for two and packrafts but Ann refuses to use it until bugnetted so Sean is lovingly constructing a 2Oookstar for it. Few trips up to now have proven its tardis like qualities with the bombproof feel of my old ultra quasar at a tiny fraction of the weight but still leaves you feeling part of the landscape. Ask me again when things get wetter and wilder. Others on here have far more experience with them.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Hoping the 400g inner from my Vaude Power Lizard might be able to fit with a little modding to fit with the gear hoops for when its buggy.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Made my own height adjustable bomber carbon central pole for it too already. Guessing I can use my bike as the pole for the door.
Adrian Brewster

I was going to myog bug tent but once I'd added up the costs, remembered the pain of piercing fingers with sewing machine needle when I made crappy frame bag then sheer perfection of Oookworks stuff overwhelmed my miserliness. Vaude looks good and about the right height too, 95cm? I tend not to use bike as door pole as would probably fall over the thing when going for a piss after a few drams. Have usually managed to find a bit of stick lying around that does the job.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Yep - power lizard inner is 95cm high, there are lots of elasticated hooks on the inner so I hoped I may be able to extend these to the relevant hooks/pegging points on the trailstar. Might work, might not - we'll see at the weekend.

The power lizard inner sleeps two ish and looks like it would fit in a similar dimensions listed for the bearpaw or Oookworks single trailstar inner.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oddly I've considered an inner nest for quite a while but always talked myself out of it ... it always seemed that adding an inner would detract from the biggest benefit - inner space ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:Oddly I've considered an inner nest for quite a while but always talked myself out of it ... it always seemed that adding an inner would detract from the biggest benefit - inner space ;)
Sounds like you'd end up with a tent :mrgreen:
Adrian Brewster

Granted, you lose some inner space but it's more sociable if you're going with girlfriend/partner/significant other and weighs about the same as two bivi bags (admittedly about 200g more than two borah bug bivis) and still keeps you in touch with outer space while gaining deep inner peace that passeth all understanding, tranquility and spiritual enlightenment ... OK, maybe that's taking things a little too mystical. David Lintern picture from section hiker:
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Had the new trailstar in the garden - highs and lows really. Not sure.

It's massive and it looks bombproof and drum like taught! but it's quite a bit heavier with all the bits and bobs and sounds silly but I'm thinking its a bit too big.

Not decided at all - not tried the inner in yet or out in the field which will prob change everything.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I had similar feelings with mine when I pitched it in the garden. Out in the wild it seemed much more practical, more so with two people. I'd view it as a winter bivvy for one with lots of space, or all year for two people. The stability is the main benefit and when it's blowing a hooley and lashing rain you'll be glad you've got it with you.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Saved your bacon Ian. ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd view it as a winter bivvy for one with lots of space, or all year for two people. The stability is the main benefit and when it's blowing a hooley and lashing rain you'll be glad you've got it with you.
Agree, I use mine much more in winter. The ability to spread all my wet kit out and still have more than enough room to kip and cook is a real bonus ... without wondering whether the thing will survive the night ;)
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Cheers guys, cant wait to try it out.

If it doesn't work out, i'll post up the sale here first. I know how rare these things are s/h.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »