BB200/300 '23

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

BB200/300 '23

Post by fatbikephil »

Thought I'd get the ball rolling with my usual diatribe....
https://philsbikepacking.blogspot.com/2 ... green.html
ssnowman

Re: BB200/300 '23

Post by ssnowman »

Great write up. What size chainring and sprocket did you use?
May satan walk with you
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

32/21 which is my usual. It actually worked pretty well as I would have been pushing with any gear on some of the bits...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Enjoyed reading that Phil so so much more than you enjoyed riding it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:38 pm 32/21 which is my usual. It actually worked pretty well as I would have been pushing with any gear on some of the bits...
It’s interesting to see what ratios other people run. I use 32/16 with 26” wheels; not that I would ever attempt the BB200 with that ratio.
May satan walk with you
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Excellent write up! Now the tireddness is wearing off, the 300 looks tempting (but is probably a really stupid idea) for 2024... can someone sort weather like the first weekend please?

And thanks again Stu & Dee - cracking event.

I was tempted by singlespeed in the run-up to the event, would have run 32-18 on 27.5" wheel or possibly a 26". I'm pretty glad I didn't, as there were plenty of long climbs which would have been out of the saddle for me on SS, but I could sit & spin on the stooge. Having said that, the simplicity and light weight would have been great on the log flume and the sizeable hike-a-bike bits.

Totally random point, but if anyone needs cheap but good chain lube, the Lidl "spray oil with PTFE" I bought on the way home from work on Friday went on the chain before the start, and it still was smooth at the finish.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

PaulE wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:04 pm Excellent write up! Now the tireddness is wearing off, the 300 looks tempting (but is probably a really stupid idea) for 2024... can someone sort weather like the first weekend please?

And thanks again Stu & Dee - cracking event.

I was tempted by singlespeed in the run-up to the event, would have run 32-18 on 27.5" wheel or possibly a 26". I'm pretty glad I didn't, as there were plenty of long climbs which would have been out of the saddle for me on SS, but I could sit & spin on the stooge. Having said that, the simplicity and light weight would have been great on the log flume and the sizeable hike-a-bike bits.

Totally random point, but if anyone needs cheap but good chain lube, the Lidl "spray oil with PTFE" I bought on the way home from work on Friday went on the chain before the start, and it still was smooth at the finish.
Was that on a super squeaky clean chain pls Paul. Yes I've been deliberating on my next chain lube for some time now. Is it held by all lidls and is it attracting loads of dust!
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

It was on a clean-ish chain, but probably nothing like spotless. No idea about dust, didn't see any of that at the weekend!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers all
Stu - to be clear I did enjoy a lot of it :grin:
PS squirt lube lasted until K225 - not bad given all the dunkings
psling

Post by psling »

Brilliant blog Phil :-bd

When I get a bit of time later I'll add some thoughts from the days years ago when I drove a lot of those trails in a Series I Land Rover. Suffice to say that I stopped driving most of them because of the damage being caused as more and more people started driving them in more and more modern vehicles requiring less and less driving ability....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.