What do you recall from your 2 days (BB200s)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

What do you recall from your 2 days (BB200s)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Stu just said in a thread:
Two days out of your life to achieve something you'll remember for the rest of it .... come on, that seems like a pretty good deal :wink:
Before that I'd been wondering that maybe it's a bit much for me, but he's right! So what do you recall about your past BB200/300 attempts. Completed or not. Just one memory per event pls!
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: What do you recall from your 2 days (BB200s)

BB200 2019 edition and my initiation - after that first river crossing which in hindsight was tiny. I swore at Stu loudly mid-water. Other side I felt like a right idiot and there was an audience.

Later apologised to him but he said it's normal :grin:

BB200 2020 edition - first ever version that wasn't starting at the community centre. I thought I'd be clever and win the race (by starting first as soon as the event opened). Got above Offas Dyke of which I never knew what it was before. 30 miles or less later I was using the TrekkerTent on a path and had a little sleep. Turned back round and went pver the mountain to shortcut back. Storm Alex was (scary but) amazing.

Specifically I remember getting down onto one side of the mountain, eating my sarnies in total peace n quiet. Then getting back up on the ridge to continue fighting my bike down tot he ground and moving forth.

BB200 2021 - not sure what I remember the most but riding off route down to the town for supplies was interesting. Straight down for miles along a 15% descent, but then back up at snails pace. Using a fragrant smelling bum butter to manage the sores but then later noticing the 'pear' smell and thinking Idgone into kidney failure or ketoacidosis or something. Then getting back to the end at the 36th hour and Stu/Dee had or were just leaving. Shop was closed and I felt like a right idiot. Thanks to Dee she still sorted out some beans on toast or summat!

Truly amazing memories :o
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Interesting idea. I'll try and work something out later.
redefined_cycles

Supposed to be summa that stuck/sticks in your head for years Rich :lol:

Not summat you have to recall. I always remember swearing at him in broad daylight/audience and then regretting it. Regret it to this day :lol:
Boab

Post by Boab »

The thing that's always stuck with me, from my failed 2021 attempt, happened at The Glyndwr's Way Cafe, Bwlch-y-sarnau. As we came charging over the cattle grid shortly before the Hafren bunkhouse, there was a chap sorting out a puncture. He appeared at the cafe just as we were about to leave and someone ask him how he was getting on. He uttered a load of nonsensical sounds, before uttering I can't even English; we all knew exactly how he felt.

I didn't even get to enjoy the delights of the turnip field, as my bottom bracket had totes failed by 80KM and I'd turned for home. Looking at the photo of my GPS though, 145KM at an average of 16kph, even though the last 60KM I coasted downhill, soft pedalled on the flat and push every uphill. I must've been flying...
Last edited by Boab on Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:34 pm Supposed to be summa that stuck/sticks in your head for years Rich :lol:

Not summat you have to recall. I always remember swearing at him in broad daylight/audience and then regretting it. Regret it to this day :lol:
My memory doesn't work like most people's, if I can't find a context I wont remember anything. Not to mention the fact I've done quite a few of these, they all sort of blur into one set of agony and swearing.

I'll basically have to picture part of the route and then it'll come to me.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bloody great big puddles!!
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Only done one in 2021, it was the turnip field year and I was laughing out loud trying to ride over them, a low point was going off route with Dave to a pub to get chips only to be told without being told we're not serving you two stinky sods :grin:
so we had a disappointing bag of crisps each and was them bloody freezing when we set off again.
What's the worst than can happen?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

SO 24099 37660. Had a little cry here, the good kind. I was feeling a little bit overwhelmed, very exhilarated, and very much like I belonged in the landscape.
SO 02661 46385. Obscenities were screamed as I swiftly lost altitude, knowing that I'd very soon have to regain it.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Vivid (VERY!!!) memories of my two BB200 holidays (2014+2015)....

Fun. Long. Tired. Laughing and chatting with nice folk. Saddle sores. Dark. Absolutely hilarious random smattering of humans scattered far and wide all trying and failing to find a rideable anything on the ground whilst traversing an insane tussock nightmare and swearing a LOT in the dark. Failing then failed lights. Vague rest in a bog until the light returned. More saddle sore issues. Insane fatigue. SPAR!!! More bog. More banter. More arse issues......

Culminating in a bail in 2014 (I took a photo of my undercarriage and decided that more riding would have been medically unsound) and fairly tearful 32 hour 'success' (with everything I owned that was even slightly soft gaffer taped to my seat in order to give my bum a rest) and only 6 or 7 of the 11 gears I started with still functioning.

As soon as I'm back in suitable form I'll be back for more.....
redefined_cycles

Gairy. You make it sound so fantastical :lol:

The memory of my fall during the first edition also came back to me. Allen (and someone else) stopped to see if I was OK and I ushered them on. Didn't look at the wound during the remainder 20h out in 'the field'and then took almost 11 hours driving home on the 3 hour route.

Finally when I did tend to it, it was gory and nasty (enough) and then the following year or 2 resulted in that leg swelling up regularly enough. Thought I was in heart failure - when the right side of the heart doesn't welcome the blood properly it then backs up at the organs that were supposed to return that there blood back - cos in 2018 I was (viral perimyocarditis).

But only recently realised after reading the ultra marathoning book (for lazy people) that it was/is most likely a regular occurance from the lack of salts replenishment. Seems to be working a treat (thiugh the spots on tongue ain't nice).

Nice memories all :-bd and thanks for sharing.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

My two most vivid memories are:
1. My GPS failing on my first go in 2012. I then realised the paper maps I thought I had in my jersey pocket had disappeared! I bought a new map in Rhayader and used that to finish.
2. Getting very cross when I got stuck in a fence around a pheasant enclosure towards the end of the 2014 edition. I was close to 24 hours and didn’t have the time to faff about in a fence! Eventually finished (my favourite version) in about 25 hours.
Cheers for so many excellent editions Stu!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Getting very cross when I got stuck in a fence around a pheasant enclosure towards the end of the 2014 edition. I was close to 24 hours and didn’t have the time to faff about in a fence! Eventually finished (my favourite version) in about 25 hours.
Thought I might get lynched for that - I'd checked it out a fortnight earlier and remember thinking, 'ooh this is quite nice, should make an interesting and quite enjoyable finish' but in the intervening 2 weeks, someone had decided to erect the pleasant pens right across the bridleway :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:57 am
Getting very cross when I got stuck in a fence around a pheasant enclosure towards the end of the 2014 edition. I was close to 24 hours and didn’t have the time to faff about in a fence! Eventually finished (my favourite version) in about 25 hours.
Thought I might get lynched for that - I'd checked it out a fortnight earlier and remember thinking, 'ooh this is quite nice, should make an interesting and quite enjoyable finish' but in the intervening 2 weeks, someone had decided to erect the pleasant pens right across the bridleway :roll:
It was easy you climbed through the large hole shaped like Steve Large’s bike
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I’m much bigger than Steve!! 😂
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

20191013_172320.jpg
20191013_172320.jpg (83.93 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
slarge

Post by slarge »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:09 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:57 am
It was easy you climbed through the large hole shaped like Steve Large’s bike
:-bd
I got a bit militant
slarge

Post by slarge »

The first 3 had a bit of the route called something like "where 5 rivers meet" and it was 200m of wading through cold flowing water. And several rivers did flow through it.
I won't forget that bit in a hurry
Al

Post by Al »

MarkW wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:13 pm 2019
20191013_172320.jpg
This.

I've often struggled to describe this section, wasnt after we were sent down the Welsh enduro track in dyfi forest....
redefined_cycles

Al wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:26 am
MarkW wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:13 pm 2019
20191013_172320.jpg
This.

I've often struggled to describe this section, wasnt after we were sent down the Welsh enduro track in dyfi forest....
Wasn't that the 2019 one Al. That was difficult getting through as we tried to 'rambo' it through the trees on the right. Such deep puddles!
redefined_cycles

I remember Wotsits asking Stu after, "what dogshit was that Stu". Reply came back something like, "wasn't like that just lastweek". Standard reply I think :grin:
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

During my first BB200 i recall finishing though a forest section which was deeply rutted and required lots of pushing off cambre...this was definatley the crux for me, and one ive not forgotton!

Image20191013_001138 by alexberry1, on Flickr
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:09 am I remember Wotsits asking Stu after, "what dogshit was that Stu". Reply came back something like, "wasn't like that just lastweek". Standard reply I think :grin:
Was that the year i bumped into you after i'd slept in the disabled loo near Coed-y-Brenin, & we rode back with Mark?
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was that the year i bumped into you after i'd slept in the disabled loo near Coed-y-Brenin
All sounds so glam' ... like a Salsa advert :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:05 am
Was that the year i bumped into you after i'd slept in the disabled loo near Coed-y-Brenin
All sounds so glam' ... like a Salsa advert :wink:

At 4am finding it had a working lock, heated hand-drier & no PIR for the light, who knew a disabled bog could cause so much joy :lol:

The 'gram' could never do it justice, even though Shaf had the beard!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!