Richpips

Big Bear 520

Post by Richpips »

Is there a thread already?

Has it been ridden?
whitestone

Re: Big Bear 520

Post by whitestone »

There's a couple of trip reports somewhere in the depths of the forum, maybe "bigbear" without a space will find them. Mike Clarke was the first to complete it and Steve Large holds the current fastest time. There may be one other completion, certainly there's been a few attempts.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Bob says Rich, both Mike and Steve have it under their belts. There have been a few other attempts but unsuccessful to my knowledge.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks Bob, I had a trawl and found this https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... php?t=9309

The weather looks reasonable this/next week I might give it a go.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm still tempted, but someone will need to teach me how to sleep outdoors as I very much doubt I'm capable of doing it in one shot.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I rode a good chunk of it as part of a tour last year. Started with the TCW then used the BB520 to loop up and around back to Knighton area via the Wayfarer's track. Really enjoyed it. Probably because I had a just under a week for the whole thing rather than it being any timed effort ; )
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Are you thinking of a winter attempt Rich :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:34 pm Are you thinking of a winter attempt Rich :grin:
No, I'm lucky in that being self employed I could pick a fairly decent weather window. I'd probably go for spring as it would mean I'm not dealing with the worst of the foliage.

However, the odds on 5 days of dry weather in a row in Wales... probably never get a chance! :lol:
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I had a go at it earlier in the summer on my own , it's really a good route and quite remote, I was thinking well noone knows quite where I am I hope I don't hurt myself and shortly after that I had a sky, floor, sky moment, bit of skin missing but that's all and I was relatively near Builth Wells so I got myself there and got the train back to knight. I will try again next year.
The annual 3 legged beer race was on in Builth as I got there which involves getting round every pub and having 1 pint each, it was carnage, poeple being sick in the street etc, all the roads where closed, it cheered me up no end :grin:
What's the worst than can happen?
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's a brilliant route - takes in loads of good trails. Definitely 2 days minimum and more like 3-4 to do in comfort. There are overnight under cover options if bivvying isn't popular - from the YHA at Ty- y - cornel to old churches to b&b's.
I started at Caersws but only so I could get a (disappointing) breakfast at Knighton.

I can recommend it as it is a very under-ridden route
jameso

Post by jameso »

the odds on 5 days of dry weather in a row in Wales... probably never get a chance!
Have faith, the planet is heating up! :???:

Had 2 6 day trips in the 3 years with only one wet day over all 12.. the ride in 2021 was so hot I was having siestas early afternoon. Not that climate change is a good thing oc..
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Can this be started anywhere on the route as its reasonably close to Corwen for me, may have a dabble next year.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Leerowe76 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:32 pm Can this be started anywhere on the route as its reasonably close to Corwen for me, may have a dabble next year.
Yep, start where you like.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Rode to it from home, then did around half of it before Mother Nature had kicked my arse enough to call it a day, still haven’t been back to clear the unfinished business