Steripen Ultralight. Any good?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr conners

Steripen Ultralight. Any good?

Post by Mr conners »

I'm fed up of chemical water taste and/ or contributing to the plastic waste issue on longer trips abroad so was thinking of getting a UV filter. Anyone used one?
Ta
Mariner

Re: Steripen Ultralight. Any good?

Post by Mariner »

Yes and I was never ill but then that was in Scotland, Wales and Southwest always from fast flowing streams.
The biggest danger I found was rock hopping on larger streams to get to where the water was flowing.
Remember always stir clockwise while the light is on then once anticlockwise when it goes off. :wink: :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes, used one for years, recommended. Needs powerful batteries though - Energizer Recharge work fine for me. Easier to use if you can find a 500ml bottle whose neck matches the 'shoulders' of the Steripen. If the sensors come out of the water it stops and you have to start over again.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Al

Post by Al »

I had one and loved it (apart from the expensive batteries) until it threw itself out of a framebag onto a concrete floor and stopped working.
Use a filter now just because it seems a bit less fragile if you drop it miles from home.

Still got a load of the expensive batteries kicking round if you do bit one....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mr conners wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:30 pm I'm fed up of chemical water taste and/ or contributing to the plastic waste issue on longer trips abroad so was thinking of getting a UV filter. Anyone used one?
Ta
Remember that they need pretty clear water to work so if the water has a lot of sediment you'll need to filter it first.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

The new ultralight has a usb rechargeable battery which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it. One of the main reasons for using it is after our recent trip in Jordan we got fed up of all the single use plastic bottles we were guilty of buying. The natural water sources were really sparse and we decided to use sterilisation tablets, which I'm sure resulted in getting dehydrated as it's so awful to drink warm swimming pool tasting water.
Can you filter the bits out using a t shirt of buff type thing?
I'll buy one when I get home, currently stuck in Tel Aviv trying to get a flight out.
Cheers
RIP

Post by RIP »

Maybe if you have a little more dosh to spare, you could have an MSR Trailshot as a prefilter. The pair together still weigh less than 500ml of water. If some water's clear don't bother Trailshotting it first. Good luck with the return trip...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster