Newbie bikepacking tent advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BowlandBikepacking

Newbie bikepacking tent advice

Post by BowlandBikepacking »

Hi all, I'm a newbie bikepacker looking to explore my local area before moving further afield.

I realise there are bivvy and tarp options but I'm looking for tent suggestions. I'm 6'2 and not that slim, and using a long/wide big Agnes mat, so I'm looking for a tent with decent size sleeping area and reasonable porch, that's not too heavy and not hugely expensive!

Any recommendations appreciated :)
redefined_cycles

Re: Newbie bikepacking tent advice

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi BowlandBping and welcome.

There'll be loadsa advice incoming but mine would be a 2 person Dan Durston (any you like). Not super robust but strong enough and not crazy-priced either.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When you say hugely expensive, just how expensive? £100, £200, £300?

There'll likely be an option that suits at every price point but knowing that point will help narrow things down :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Welcome :-bd

Quality, light, cheap. Pick any two... :grin:

Decent tents aren't cheap - there's a lot of manufacturing steps to make them and they aren't high volume sales. If you haven't already, have a look at https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ they tend towards the lighter side of things.

The Durston X-mid that Shaf mentions gets very good reviews but be aware that it's sold as a "trekking" tent and it assumes that you are using trekking poles for support so you need to factor in the cost and weight of poles when looking at it.

We've a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. There's quite a few similar models from MSR, Alpkit, etc. Good internal space, especially so when you compare it to the overall footprint*, The X-mid does fall short in that regard. I'm 1m80 and couldn't sit up in the MSR version but can do in the Copper Spur.

*Worth noting that most manufacturers skimp on the built-in groundsheets of tents to keep the headline weight down so a footprint/groundsheet is usually required to provide some extra protection. Again you need to consider that when comparing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Loki

Post by Loki »

Hi and welcome, I have been using a Vango Banshee 200, far from the lightest tent out there but it is solid and reliable, good for regular touring and bike packing, I would like something lighter but it is a good starter item.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

The naturehike mongar/star river tents are pretty decent for the money - lots of space, reasonably lightweight and not too spendy.

Just do a search on Amazon
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

I've got an alpkit soloist XL - good value for money v weight but it's quite tight size wise and I'd have preferred one where put external sheet up first (cant remember the word I want for that!)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Fly first pitch
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I'd avoid Alpkit tents. Some bizarre design decisions and questionable QC. Quite a few friends have regretted their choice. They're not particularly cheap these days either.

Better to get something from another brand in a sale somewhere.

For me, I like a tent with a large covered porch area separate from a sleeping area. Helps with getting changed when it is wet.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've got a Lanshan 1 Pro, it's barely suitable for my 172 (and a bit) cm height, but it's light and cheap; if you don't mind buying Chinese knock offs. They do do a Lanshan 2 Pro which should suffice for the cheap and light bit, although you'll need two of Stu's poles to keep it up.

I got mine from someone on here, I had been planning on a SMD Lunar Solo. If you lean more towards the quality and light*, there's things like the SMD Skyscape Scout, which is cheaper than a Lunar Solo, longer (by 30cm or so), but heavier.

* Everything is relative...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

I just picked up a Lanshan 1 "copy" from Nightcat. Lots of reviews on YouTube. Again, it's a (single) trekking pole tent, but I use a 125cm carbon pole for it. Got it for a little over £100 as they had a 20% discount offer. Site was Chinese-based but the tent arrived only 2 days later from Amazon, so they must have a uk distributer / fulfilment centre arrangement with them.

TBF I'm quite impressed with quality and weight, but I'd concede the living space isn't huge (decent storage space in vestibule though). Under 920g and packs up tiny
The YT reviews tend to refer to a big cheap looking logo. Don't know if mine is a new batch (or an old one!) But logo on mine is pretty small and discrete!
Also, don't pay attention to the poor pitching in tge pic, it was my first go...have perfected a nice taught pitch now :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

ust picked up a Lanshan 1 "copy"
I am loving how we've now got knock offs of knock offs :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JackT

Post by JackT »

There's a Decathon 2-person tent for sale on the Cycling UK forum. Just under 2kg so not especially light. But £40 isn't bad. https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=158269

It's a single hoop design (originated in the Terra Nova Laser I believe), similar to the Vangoo Banshee 200 mentioned previously.

I've no connection with the seller. I think it looks to be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIWIqRUgaPQ

The Durston X-mids do look very good but quite ££ once you factor in shipping, customs duties, VAT etc.
josh

Post by josh »

JackT wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:54 pm The Durston X-mids do look very good but quite ££ once you factor in shipping, customs duties, VAT etc.
Yes, I’m very happy with my x-mid so far, but I wouldn’t say it was a ‘beginners’ tent. If you’re buying in the US, the price seems very good value. But as Jack says, once you actually get that tent to your door in the UK it’s become actually quite an expensive tent and not something you’re likely to want to get as a ‘beginner’ based on price alone – the actual pitching and use is pretty beginner friendly though (especially for a trekking pole tent).

I think OP would be much better served by an option from the likes of Vango/OEX/one of the many brands that you can actually properly (not have to import yourself) buy in the UK
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

so I'm looking for a tent with decent size sleeping area and reasonable porch, that's not too heavy and not hugely expensive!
You need to decide the weight really, an opalus 2 in 20D fabric has a great porch but at the heavier end for most bike packers
BowlandBikepacking

Thank you all for the replies. I had considered the Alpkit soloist xl but it didn't seem quite big enough. Lots of good suggestions.

In terms of weight unless in dramatically lose weight a few hundred grams on a tent isn't going to make a huge difference!
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Hi.
I'm late to this discussion but here's my opinion.
I'm I real cheapskate, making do rather than splashing out more often than not, however when I started bikepacking in 2020 I decided the one thing I was not going to skimp on was a tent. It is your home after all when you're tired and in a strange place.
I bought a Big Agnes copper spur ul1 plus footprint for around £400 I think and I've never regretted that decision. Each time I use it I marvel at the quality of construction and how homely it feels inside. Its like a little tardis due to its decent height and genius storage solutions. We've been through a lot together as most of my trips have been in winter and it's never let me down and each adventure the cost per night has come down. It's probably at about £20/night now which is good value for money, especially as it's showing no signs of wear at all. I imagine it'll last me years and years.
BowlandBikepacking

So considered all the options and did a load of Internet research and then popped into local outdoor store to try a few options as they had some up on display. Came across a Wild Country Panacea 2 which I liked in terms of size. Not lightest or smallest pack size but figure I can attach the poles to top tube and make the pack smaller for rear rack 🤔

Found it on sale with the footprint (don't know if people use these on bikepacking trips?!?) for £260 which seemed reasonable. Also like the fact its UK designed. Will let you know how I get on