Diy Dehydrated meals

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MM-on-POINT

Diy Dehydrated meals

Post by MM-on-POINT »

I am about to start dehydrating and packaging my own camp meals for personal use as well as making powder eggs and was wondering If any one here does this them selfs and if so any tips please.

If any one is intrested in my progess and results i will post some pictures of before and after in a week or so.

Any information or exprience welcomed
ScotRoutes

Re: Diy Dehydrated meals

Post by ScotRoutes »

Very interested in this too.

And on a related matter, are there foil pouches available for packing and rehydrating/cooking the meals?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Came across this when I got my dehydrater, great starting point. Gives some idea of portioning and water amounts for rehydration etc, also some good recipes to get going.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

Scotroutes, you'd be able to use 'Pour and Store' bags - available from most supermarkets...I use them for couscous and porridge.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I was going to say pour and store too.
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

Best book I've come across is Backpack Gourmet by Linda Frederick Yale, Stackpole books but you don't really need a book, when I first got mine just experimentally dehydrated everything mad scientist style, some things work better than others. If you really get into it you can get vacuum sealer http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15349/FoodSaver, got an older cheaper version which works really well, makes it watertight and compact but be careful with sharp spag which can puncture bag if you don't break it up enough.
Really interested to know how you get on, I've just got a cheap Westfalia Laser 2000, which works fine if a little unevenly.