New Map Time

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

New Map Time

Post by dlovett »

I currently used the UKBIKEPACKV1 maps on my Edge, Fenix and Basecamp, but I am currently on a trial of the OS website and like that extra detail they have. Are there any cheap options to get these maps for the UK into the Garmin echo system or any other options that are as good?

Dave, is there any news on the UKBIKEPACKV2?

Cheers
Dave Barter

Re: New Map Time

Post by Dave Barter »

Sorry but I lost my previous build for this and am painstakingly rebuilding it with new OS data and python scripts. It’s really quite complex and I’m dead busy with work. I promise it’s before learning portuguese on the list, just can’t say exactly when
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

No worries Dave, thanks in advance for all your efforts!!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm really struggling with the OS app - it crashes continuously on the phone and is useless for editing a route on the desk top that is bigger than about 50k (guess how I know....) It's actually got worse from when I first got it which is annoying.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:00 pm I'm really struggling with the OS app - it crashes continuously on the phone and is useless for editing a route on the desk top that is bigger than about 50k (guess how I know....) It's actually got worse from when I first got it which is annoying.
Phil. I used to not get on too well with OS app either. Then they deleted all my purchased data (probably during the gdp or whatever thing of storing data without confirming consent again!). Been with OS maps on the Viewranger and now Outdoor Active. In around 4 years I think I've crashed none times (or maybe 2, but a quick refresh and/or reboot and all was sorted).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye I think I won't be renewing next May unless they sought it (I've provided plenty of feedback)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:09 pm Aye I think I won't be renewing next May unless they sought it (I've provided plenty of feedback)
Even the website is buggy as hell, dont get me started on their app!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I highly recommend TT maps as the guy does an amazing job maintaining them. The main differences between mine are that I use OS data rather than OSM (apart from rights of way) and also burnt in bothies and ITT routes.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

boxelder wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:47 pm https://main.talkytoaster.me.uk/ ??

Any use?
I do have some if his from a while back, and although they are excellent maps, I prefer the OS colour scheme/font/look to the OSM look. I know that might seem silly, but I find OS maps much easier to read on a smaller screen than OSM ones.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Have a look at his trial map.
It uses 50k legend but 25k detail :-bd
It has none of the surplus tourist blue info clogging up the screen. Public gardens & day boating etc. (Unless this floats your boat :roll: ).
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've got a crude map renderer up and running (no it is not sweary just basic). Does anyone care these days if the road data is Openstreetmap as opposed to Ordnance Survey? Reason I ask is that my previous maps used OS data for the road network but it's easier to make maps from OSM data? If no one really cares I'll crack on with OSM.

The additional data I'll add will be:-

-bothies
-convenience shops
-water/taps
-NCN
-UK ITT routes
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Osm is fine as much harder to get lost/ miss turns on roads than off road.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:41 pm I've got a crude map renderer up and running (no it is not sweary just basic). Does anyone care these days if the road data is Openstreetmap as opposed to Ordnance Survey? Reason I ask is that my previous maps used OS data for the road network but it's easier to make maps from OSM data? If no one really cares I'll crack on with OSM.

The additional data I'll add will be:-

-bothies
-convenience shops
-water/taps
-NCN
-UK ITT routes
Happy with whatever you choose Dave.

Thanks a million for doing the update.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

My main bugbear with OSM is paths etc. where you can't auto-route straight through (I think this is normally some sort of permissions attribute for walking/bikes/horse/vehicles?). I'm guessing this is not a problem for road data, more off-road?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

(And when I say "OSM", I mean "F-cking Komoot")
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:05 pm My main bugbear with OSM is paths etc. where you can't auto-route straight through (I think this is normally some sort of permissions attribute for walking/bikes/horse/vehicles?). I'm guessing this is not a problem for road data, more off-road?
It's a mixture of things - there is a BW that runs right next to our house, goes down the hill over a ford and up the other side of the valley. Try and create a bike route along it and it goes the opposite way, along the road, crosses the beck and meets up with the BW on the other side. :???: Looking at the OSM data, whoever had done this area had created the BW, then the OSM software noted that the beck crossed it so the person editing put in a ford. Except that they did it so it goes BW-ford-BW meaning that routing software didn't see the ford as being part of the BW so sent you a km downstream!

Komoot's a bit of a pain - I tried using it for the 2020 BB200 and it rerouted me from a BW onto a footpath despite the BW being marked as such on the OSM data.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:06 pm (And when I say "OSM", I mean "F-cking Komoot")
Same issue with RideWithGPS, sometimes it just wont route you down stuff that is obviously fine. Then you find that the right of way isn't joined in some way, or some random attribute is wrong. I've tried correcting a few via OSM, but no idea how often things like RWGPS sync the data, as it never seems to make any difference.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Right, I am nearly there on a new set of Bikepack maps. You cannot know how hard this is! I'm fighting all sorts of bugs and issues and if anyone mentions java in my vicinity they will be thrown roughly to the ground.

I'm at the stage of rendering the ITT routes on the map. I'm thinking it will be this list:-

https://www.selfsupporteduk.net

Stu, I am happy to add or not add The Big Bear and Offas Bike

Alan has sanctioned the HT550 route, in return I'll be asking for a John Muir donation for any downloaders.

Thoughts?

I've added a lot more detail to these new maps, and will be looking for some testers, maybe next week if this next render works.
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Sounds excellent.
I do have an idea how hard it is. I've 18+ years experience of debugging. It'll be worth it for the donations
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A jenn Ride ( + others ) so there is some easier stuff ?
Happy to test producr but know nothing about computer programming
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Sounds great Dave, if a beta is ready let me know as I love to test it out.

Cheers

d
Dave Barter wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:51 pm Right, I am nearly there on a new set of Bikepack maps. You cannot know how hard this is! I'm fighting all sorts of bugs and issues and if anyone mentions java in my vicinity they will be thrown roughly to the ground.

I'm at the stage of rendering the ITT routes on the map. I'm thinking it will be this list:-

https://www.selfsupporteduk.net

Stu, I am happy to add or not add The Big Bear and Offas Bike

Alan has sanctioned the HT550 route, in return I'll be asking for a John Muir donation for any downloaders.

Thoughts?

I've added a lot more detail to these new maps, and will be looking for some testers, maybe next week if this next render works.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

PM me a location near you and I’ll make you a sample. I’m debating not putting all the ITT routes on as in some places they look really crap due to overlap. I may even leave them off altogether
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:41 pm PM me a location near you and I’ll make you a sample. I’m debating not putting all the ITT routes on as in some places they look really crap due to overlap. I may even leave them off altogether
Hero!!!

Incoming pm
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:41 pm PM me a location near you and I’ll make you a sample. I’m debating not putting all the ITT routes on as in some places they look really crap due to overlap. I may even leave them off altogether
I found them distracting previously, and routes get altered. I'd leave them off, as folk generally import a route file.
I'll gladly test a Lakes sample if it would be useful?