Wtd: Revelate Harness (now bought new)

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Wtd: Revelate Harness (now bought new)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone got one they want to sell on. Before I go buy one for the BB200. Please.
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
riderdown

Re: Wtd: Revelate Harness (of some sort)

Post by riderdown »

No harness but a thought

What I observed last year was that the riders seem to split into two camps

Those who plan to stop and those who don't

A lot clearly didn't plan to stop and were packing very light which made them faster (as as the legs and general fitness)

(I packed as light as I could for the former helped by the good weather and was glad of some of the kit as it was very cold in the valleys)

If you are aiming at a black badge you probably won't stop so pack accordingly, with the proviso that should you need to you can (and to stay within the rules)

So do you NEED a harness?
redefined_cycles

riderdown wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:17 am No harness but a thought

What I observed last year was that the riders seem to split into two camps

Those who plan to stop and those who don't

A lot clearly didn't plan to stop and were packing very light which made them faster (as as the legs and general fitness)

(I packed as light as I could for the former helped by the good weather and was glad of some of the kit as it was very cold in the valleys)

If you are aiming at a black badge you probably won't stop so pack accordingly, with the proviso that should you need to you can (and to stay within the rules)

So do you NEED a harness?
You may have just saved me £100 :lol:
redefined_cycles

Been thinking about what you said, RiderDown. Problem with that ultralight approach and without front harness is that I no longer own a super ultra-light quilt. Sold the Hammock Gear superlight quilt last year and this current one's at least 900g.

Won't be using a seatpack.. But,ayne you're right. Everything squished into a drybag and into the backpack might do me the job! Best go review the minimal requirements once again. Last one that I ended up sleeping for about 4 hours - but went with that same mentality of superlight and uncomfy to stop me from it - I'd taken a bivy bag, hammockG quilt and blowy mat (I think).

If requirements allow I might leave the mat out this time to reduce the lure of sleep 😴 :grin:

Good shout RD.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I had seat pack (sleeping bag, mat, bivi and an excuse for a tarp) and a big frame bag, and one of those pouches on the bars it's an XL cutthroat so a large space in the frame

I wouldn't carry the weight on your body as it's a hidden source of fatigue, it made a difference for me

My sleeping bag is heavier than yours, I'd take the mat, if you have decided to stop better to be comfortable, if you are very tired you won't be generating a lot of heat so need to make sure you aren't losing what you have

I would use a seat pack as it keeps your ass dry
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:01 am Won't be using a seatpack..
Unless this is for lack of space between your saddle and rear tyre, fit your seatpack as a mudguard and put your bivvy bag and quilt in it (but leave the mat at home).

Or stuff your bag and quilt into a 3 litre drybag and strap it tight to your bars; you're not going to remove it so you don't need a harness for quick access.
redefined_cycles

Thanks you both. Will try the down bag (don't own a quilt); mat and lightweight bivy bag on the bars. That should sort it with the voile straps :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've got an old / original design Revelate bar harness you can borrow if you like, if it's a try before you buy something kind of need. It's as minimal as can be, just a way to protect a drybag strapped to the bar, no stand-off spacers etc.
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:11 pm I've got an old / original design Revelate bar harness you can borrow if you like, if it's a try before you buy something kind of need. It's as minimal as can be, just a way to protect a drybag strapped to the bar, no stand-off spacers etc.
Nah, thanks James. I've already tried the various harnesses I might like/actually liked and Revelate was right up there. Always said to myself that I'd be buying one of them (or the Bearbones person who is in the middle of manufacturing his own) at full price when the time comes.

For the mo I'll just squish it all the the bar and buy the harness when I'm ready :-bd
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

I’ve got one Shaf.
Was going to have a big clear out soon and lots of luggage etc. It’s probably about 20 years old not been used that much (hence the sale!) the spacer pads have gone missing and there is a small modification to it but all works well and is in very useable condition.
Also have a very lightweight PHD minim race bag going if you want a good, light sleeping bag?
Give us a shout and we can hopefully sort out viewing or meet-up.
Cheers Adam.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Sorry Shaf, but of a typo there! The harness is about 10 years old!!
Sorry for confusion.
redefined_cycles

Artie Fufkin wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:35 pm Sorry Shaf, but of a typo there! The harness is about 10 years old!!
Sorry for confusion.
Hi Adam. I messaged ya. Not sure if you got it :smile:
redefined_cycles

https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/revelate-d ... 0165-p.asp

Since one of the 3 (average) yearly chest infections is coming on I may need to aim at 'just finishing' on the big day. Though who knows!

In this light, harness bought, link above if anyone interested. Looking forward details of that bag (though probably out of my price range) from Artie Funkfin :-bd
Dyffers

Re: Wtd: Revelate Harness (now bought new)

Post by Dyffers »

15oz added to your bike for £92! I usually add 400g of much more useful peanut M&Ms for a lot less money, but YPMV (Your Pyramid of requirements May Vary).
redefined_cycles

Re: Wtd: Revelate Harness (now bought new)

15oz added to your bike for £92! I usually add 400g of much more useful peanut M&Ms for a lot less money, but YPMV (Your Pyramid of requirements May Vary).
V true Dyffers. It's indeed alot of weight but not necessarily bought for just the upcoming event (for which if I'm back to 100% health might not need). Sold my last (previous version) Revelate Harness about 2 years ago and been meaning to buy this ever since - now was the time :grin:

For the record I had contemplated the lighter version (inc drybag) Pronghorn but money won't allow another DCF type purchase. This harness hopefully last me an age :smile: