Frame Mounted Hydration...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Frame Mounted Hydration...

Post by Richard G »

Hi all, part two of me working out how to get weight off my back and into the bike!

Aside from the Apidura Frame Pack Hydration Bladder, are there any other good options for getting water onto the bike (in Camelbak style). I've ordered the Apidura, but having just measured everything up, I'm slightly concerned that it's not going to leave much room for any gear in the rest of the frame! Bottles aren't really an option for me, as I never drink enough when forced to use them.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Frame Mounted Hydration...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Genuinely interested to know why you think you'll drink more from a bladder hidden inside a frame bag, than from an easy to reach bottle in plain sight?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:27 pm Genuinely interested to know why you think you'll drink more from a bladder hidden inside a frame bag, than from an easy to reach bottle in plain sight?
It's not just going to be in there hidden away, it'll have tube / bite valve. Very little difference to my current setup, aside from the weight not being on my back.

I've just never got on with bottles, hence always wearing a camelbak.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

. I've ordered the Apidura, but having just measured everything up, I'm slightly concerned that it's not going to leave much room for any gear in the rest of the frame
What size?

I have a 1.5l one and it's compact. I made a hanger and straps to hold it near the front in the frame bag as otherwise the hose is short for me

Plan is just to use tpu bottles to supplement if I need to carry more water
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Three litres. I'm basically starting to prep for another attempt at Badlands next year.

I think having four litres on my back this year was a decent part of the reason I screwed myself up.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Thanks. Looks like a decent standalone option.

I guess the main disadvantage of that sort is that it would slosh around a lot when half empty (also half full).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I just bung my 1.8l platypus bladder in the front bit of the (full) frame bag. It's better than a camelback one for this as the hose takes off a corner so you always empty it. If it's not totally brim full it squashes nicely into whatever shape is available. I tend to drink more if the hose is accessible rather than having to reach down for a bottle.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I've got the 3l crank tank and other than sounding a bit funny I've not noticed the sloshing causing any momentum issues, I've not ridden it off-road in anger yet though. It is an amazing piece of kit though especially (so far) for touring because you can use it around the campsite. I'll report back after the bb200 with what it's like for that kind of thing.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have the platypus shapeshifter Rich. It's a 3L that compacts into 2.5 or less with an internal baffle type thingy. Can be unattached easily so no need to unthread the hose. It also saved me drinking hot water on a trip to London in 30c. By popping it inside my down jacket as a sleeve and it kept the water warm.

The sleeve/down trick I use in the winter also to keep the water from freezing. I love it and it's much much better than the Apidura which I also had (think I paid about £35 for it on here but then let it go to Duncan I think on here whom I'm not sure if he got it... but if he did then he'd able to advise on his tjoughts of that one... my opinion was that it wasn't too good).

Other than lots of other amazing things about it, it takes up very little real estate inside the bottom of the framebag. Means I can stuff alot more in and as it empties, gives me even more room. Also come with a lifetime no quibble warranty I believe.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:13 pm I have the platypus shapeshifter Rich. It's a 3L that compacts into 2.5 or less with an internal baffle type thingy. Can be unattached easily so no need to unthread the hose. It also saved me drinking hot water on a trip to London in 30c. By popping it inside my down jacket as a sleeve and it kept the water warm.
I've found a Hydrapak Shape Shift. Is that what you're referring to?

https://hydrapak.com/products/shape-shift-3-liter
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:16 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:13 pm I have the platypus shapeshifter Rich. It's a 3L that compacts into 2.5 or less with an internal baffle type thingy. Can be unattached easily so no need to unthread the hose. It also saved me drinking hot water on a trip to London in 30c. By popping it inside my down jacket as a sleeve and it kept the water warm.
I've found a Hydrapak Shape Shift. Is that what you're referring to?

https://hydrapak.com/products/shape-shift-3-liter
Sorry Rich. Yes, that's the one. Hydrapak... Sounds like itsjust what you needs with the 3L capacity (with open baffle).
slarge

Post by slarge »

I had the apidura 1.5l one, and to be honest I didn't like it. You had to suck quite hard to lift the water from the base of the frame to mouth height and it gave me ulcers (this was over several days though).
I always found the bite valve in the wrong place (was on the bars not my chest), and difficult to use when riding off road.
I much preferred my 2l bladder that went in my backpack (a 180gram Ultimate direction marathon vest). This had loads of storage as well.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

. You had to suck quite hard to lift the water from the base of the frame to mouth
I think that is in part the poor bite valve it comes with
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Would a waist pack count as getting weight off the back? I've been pleased with the Osprey Seral pack so far
faustus

Post by faustus »

I find my wingnut with a 3l bladder very comfortable, but i've never had much of a problem with stuff being on my back. The wingnut and true waist or lumbar packs, really make a difference to how the weight feels...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I often use a 2l Hydrapak in a frame bag. It's rectangular but it'll squash to whatever shape you need, because it's a bag of water (apart from the slide closure across the top, but that's never a problem). The Camelbak ones with their big round opening seem more problematic.

I find it easier on the whole than bottles. Easier to quickly get plenty of water, doesn't get covered in sheep poo, weighs about the same as one 500ml bottle, easier to drink from.

Attachment and placement of the tube to your bar or stem is key to making it work well. Best to experiment. I usually use two o-rings, one looped around the bar, and one through both ends of that and with the tube fed through both ends (tricky to explain). I improvised this when my previous system broke, and kept it because it works well. I've used a magnet, but it didn't work so well.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have the platypus shapeshifter Rich. It's a 3L that compacts into 2.5 or less with an internal baffle type thingy
This makes no sense to me... just put 2.5l in and push the air out? Sounds like a (not very good... 2.5l, 3l, barely worth bothering with the difference) solution looking for a problem.

Unless it's storing 3l of water in 2.5l, in which case, genius :grin:
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

I usually stuff a 2l or 3l platypus into my frame bag and run the hose out to my bars. However as I often find I don't drink enough/find it hard to monitor how much I have drunk, I'm wondering about wearing a running vest and stuffing a couple of squishy bottles into the pockets and then topping them up from the platypus.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

GoneCaving wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:26 pm I usually stuff a 2l or 3l platypus into my frame bag and run the hose out to my bars. However as I often find I don't drink enough/find it hard to monitor how much I have drunk, I'm wondering about wearing a running vest and stuffing a couple of squishy bottles into the pockets and then topping them up from the platypus.
I have the Garmin telling me to drink every X, and I found as long as I take a couple of good gulps every time that happens I'm fine.

Plus any time I tended to refill I'd drink a little extra for good measure (this was obviously in very hot conditions, so I needed to be careful).
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:20 pm Unless it's storing 3l of water in 2.5l, in which case, genius :grin:
(Patent pending.)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

riderdown wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:39 am
. You had to suck quite hard to lift the water from the base of the frame to mouth
It just arrived, and yes... the bite valve is awful. Might try and swap in one of the newer Camelbak sorts (unless other can suggest better options).
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Personal preference I suspect, but I like these from Decathlon:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/clear-hyd ... 513&c=grey

Has an on/off function for avoiding drips when not in use.
slarge

Post by slarge »

riderdown wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:39 am
I used a camelbak bite valve as the original one was not good.
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:20 pm
I have the platypus shapeshifter Rich. It's a 3L that compacts into 2.5 or less with an internal baffle type thingy
This makes no sense to me... just put 2.5l in and push the air out? Sounds like a (not very good... 2.5l, 3l, barely worth bothering with the difference) solution looking for a problem.

Unless it's storing 3l of water in 2.5l, in which case, genius :grin:
I know what you're saying Dave (and if your name is Andy, then next time we meet you need to give me the heaviest slap available - it'll create muscle memory and I'll never forget who it was that slapped me.. either it was Dave or Andy) and it does sound daft. But in reality it works ace for me...

It's like buying a 700ml bottle to ensure it fits inside the frame triangle, but when you're off the bike it can be unzipped to unleash a 1L capacity. So for me in reality it works as so...

When on the backpack and water isn't scarce then the baffle/zip is closed internally. Means it holds its shape better and I can sit it on the back in a pack and it'll stay upright.

The other way I use it in 2.5L shaped capacity is to have in the half frame bag sat along the toptube. But on a hot day, or for distance I've opened the internal baffle (if that's what we can call it) and sat it inside the full framebag at the BB/triangle. Holding 3L of water but not causing issues in staying put at the bottom.

I think it's absolutely ace. The washer has played up a little sometimes at the bit where you unattach it. But this is sorted after popping some food-grade grease (or olive oil) at that junction. Plus (as you know) it has the lifetime warranty which appears to work as they were very forthcoming when I contacted em. Never needed to fully use it just yet though as it's still going strong, 2 years in...