"Wye?". No, no.The question is of course "Wye not?"

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

"Wye?". No, no.The question is of course "Wye not?"

Post by RIP »

May as well start a separate thread, since I suppose I'm now embarked on an Official Jape.

Blinking love biking. Only been going for a couple of hours and lots of curious Things going on already, and lots of people to pause and natter with. Took the busy main road out of Chepstow (stupid boy Reg), looking for the elusive Wye Valley Way along the old Wye Valley Railway. Still, the view from the bridge was good, and by chance I was there exactly as the tide had turned so I had the bizarre sight of the river totally stationary.

Wandered around a few lanes and eventually stopped to chat with a lady and her dog. Eventually got the necessary directions and off I went, but strangely during our whole conversation she kept referring to the pooch as she or her despite it quite plainly being a bloke. I think it might be needing a bit of counselling later. Still, I suppose no reason dogs can't identify themselves as whatever gender they like these days, same as people.

Read all about the WVW on the sign board, and was interested to learn that dormice only roam 70m from their base. Small world. The bats in Tidenham tunnel go much further, and they are the reason that there's only very dim lighting inside. It had the feel of a relaxed bistro with its discreet downlighting almost at floor level. I was actually quite blown away with it - one of those moments that make you laugh out loud at the spectacle of it - and had to stop in the middle for a while to savour it. It's a long tunnel too. Highly recommended.

Holy Bat-gates, batman!

[cont'...]
Last edited by RIP on Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Re: "Wye?". No, no.The question is of course "Wye not?"

Post by RIP »

Along the main road at Tintern I tried to nip into the vineyard for a quick sample, to get the response "sorry we're closed" from the guy in the shop. He's standing there in the shop with all the bottles round him! Better luck at the little brewery next door where the sample was so strong I ended up buying a heifer from the farm. Just got to work out how to get her home on the train now.

Had to go and recover at the Old Station round the corner with a coffee, roasted by dragons. I looked everywhere but couldn't see one. Probably got the day off to stoke its fires up on Forest free-mined coal (more about that tomorrow!).

Currently partaking of a pleasant luncheon in St Briavels village shop after battling the maze of twisty little tracks up from the Wye. Signs to everywhere from everywhere...

[to be contd...]
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Spent 5 days paddling down that river. Stunning area. Loads of kingfishers, otters, buzzards, water. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Reg, are you planning to follow it back to it's source at Plynlymon Wales? (edit, sorry, well off course you're not :smile: sorry for askong silly questions :smile: )
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just popping in for a moment.

Caption Contest:

RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:10 am Reg, are you planning to follow it back to it's source at Plynlymon Wales? (edit, sorry, well off course you're not :smile: sorry for askong silly questions :smile: )
Perfectly sensible question. We discussed it in the pub. I believe Mr Raggedstone might be intending a mouth of Wye to source of Wye then source of Severn to mouth of Severn effort. I think we decided that upon arrival at the source(s) he was going to dig a channel diverting the fledgling Wye across to the source of the Severn. By the time he got back to Chepstow the Wye would have completely dried up :wink:

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:42 pm Perfectly sensible question. We discussed it in the pub.
Correct recollection Reg but wrong person! Can't imagine what befuddled your memory, was it the beer or the rich food? Whichever, the victuals and company were of finest quality :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:50 am Just popping in for a moment.

Caption Contest:

Does your bum feel big in this? - mine does :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Four people riding together and taking pictures - now I wonder how many different versions of events we can come up with between us? I reckon about 5.7....

Here's just a few from the first night and morning.

Peter, Kev, Reg and I met up for a nice pub meal on the Friday night, topped off with desserts all round, appropriately just a child's portion of ice cream for our "Big Kid" Reg.

ImageIMG_20230901_203829 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Lovely ride into the forest in the dark to our bivvy spot. In the morning I did a little recce and blackberry picking before the others were awake - wondering how many of these mines and quarries we'd be visiting this weekend...

ImageIMG_20230902_070519 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Clever geomap of the area.

ImageIMG_20230902_070701 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230902_071100 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230902_071200 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

This monument representing coal, iron, and lime (if I paid attention correctly...)

ImageIMG_20230902_071326 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Lord of the flames doing his thing

ImageIMG_20230903_225903 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

A little history lesson over breakfast, expertly delivered by Peter

ImageIMG_20230902_074841 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230902_084106 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

...and before we knew it, we were off....heading straight for the next cafe for breakfast no. 2 :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Verena.

So, Friday's pleasant lunch at St Briavels completed, I headed on into the Forest. Ever get that thing where a lane looks enticing as well as heads in the right direction, but you then find it gradually peters (or even possibly Peter's) out into brambly/nettly hell, but once committed there ain't no turning back?.....

Goodness knows how they reached that house, tractor presumably. I wanted to visit the Bream area next which was renowned for both its coal and ironstone mining. The whole place is littered with mysterious shafts, adits, gaping caverns, crumbling buildings and bits of rusting machinery from its 18th century heyday. Noxon Park in particular is well known in caving circles for its flooded passages and shafts, and the humps and hollows known locally as scowles. One or two of the mines have collapsed leaving very dangerous holes. I think I now know where that coffee-roasting dragon lives.... or possibly the killer rabbit from Monty P's Holy Grail......

I could spend hours exploring these relics, and in fact went round the circuit twice trying to find one renowned shaft, to no good effect. I commiserated myself with a posh coffee and cake in Bream cycle cafe, after chatting to the librarians down the road about life in the Forest and the history of the area.

Start with coffee, end with wine - good motto. Only improved by "beer in between"?

By now it was time to meet Kev (Raggedstone), Peter (Psling), and Verena (Verena :wink: ) at Parkend in the middle of the Forest, where Peter had selected The Fountain hostelry for our evening refreshment. I made my way past more industrial remains, red-coloured streams (iron), and a posh campsite. I very nearly brazenly biked into it as though I was a resident, to get a cheeky shower, but thought I'd better not get a bad rep this early in the weekend which would no doubt travel fast on the grapevine. As we know, everybody knows everybody in the Forest so we were always bumping into acquaintances of Peter, picking up various bits of gossip and chat. All very friendly :smile: .

After an extremely pleasant evening of banter, philosophical musings, and general rubbish-speaking, Peter explained that our bivvy spot was not far away. We set off into the dark, hoping to spot a wild boar or two which are now extremely common in the Forest. In fact almost every bit of grass and open space has been excavated by their probing snouts and tusks, and they really are a bit of a problem. The rather cute local nickname of "humbugs" for the baby ones belies the huge damage done by their parents in their quest for worms and other food.

We ended up in a spot close to the old New Fancy colliery in one of the highest bits of the Forest. As well as free-mining (see later), a number of large collieries were also dotted around, including Northern United which only closed as late as 1965. Another one, Cannop, is now rather better known to Us Lot as the the FoD Cycle Centre.

Verena and myself erected our tarps, Peter and Kev dossed in their bivvy bags, and the slugs were kept at bay, with a full moon casting its eerie light over our slumbering bodies. Verena has already shown a few photos of the mine map and Peter's lecture in the morning :smile: .

[cont'd...]

RIP

Post by RIP »

Here's Verena's nest for the night, nice flying diamond there. Hang on a minute, that's my nest, oops wrong photo. Trust her to find the rope swing in the morning :grin: , but she still had time to also find a rather nice embellishment for our morning porridge too....

Not entirely sure what's going on here but it made complete sense at the time :grin:

It didn't take us long to arrive at the Go Ape centre, where as luck would have it there was of course a 2nd Breakfast Cafe!

Some happy well-fed Boners....

Our excellent guide then took us around a good cross-section of Forest riding, including lots of sour singletrack (the much better opposite of tedious sw**t singletrack.... why is it "sweet"? Anybody ever picked some up and tasted it?). Then surprise surprise, back at the cafe I visited yesterday in Bream but this time for lunch. "Usual please" says I, to a wink from the proprietor. A 3rd Breakfast for Reg, and some strange "cod nuggets", whatever they might be, for others.

I narrowly averted a third circuit of the ironstone mines remains, with Peter following the old tramway that carried the iron away. Called the Oakwood Tramway, it was built in 1826 to supercede the use of packhorses. Although of course the iron rails have long since gone, amazingly a large number of the stone block rail supports still exist in place 200 years later....

Some lovely quiet trails in the woodlands led us past the old Flour Mill Colliery, which is now an engineering works operated by one of the last employees out of the old Swindon Railway Works, down to Parkend where everyone else's vehicles still seemed to be where they left them. For this afternoon Peter had kindly arranged a visit to one of the last "free-miner" collieries in the Forest, which is now also run as a tourist attraction. Unfortunately we arrived slightly early, and equally unfortunately, even though we were the last visitors of the day, the cafe was still open.....

X_X

Free-mining is, and I'm sure Peter will chip in bits I've missed or cocked up, an ancient right in the Forest. The rights go back at least as far as 1244, and King Edward I granted the miners a Royal Charter after they rendered him their services as expert castle demolishers. As our guide explained, miners had the skills to tunnel beneath a castle, removing the foundations and replacing them with props, until the poor thing collapsed under its own weight. https://www.forestfreeminers.org/

There are now only a handful of free-miners left and indeed only a handful of free-mines. One problem is that to become a free-miner one has to have been born within the Hundred Of St Briavels, worked a year and a day with an existing free-miner, be over 21, and, er, be a bloke. Although I'm sure I read somewhere that there's at least one female miner. Anyway, as Peter pointed out it's a bit difficult to be born within the Hundred these days because the hospital closed a while ago! I suppose being born at home is now the only way of achieving the entry qualification. There are stories of keen parents quickly locating themselves in the area at the moment of birth....

The tour took us down a very steep drift into the mine (Peter finding out the hard way that SPD shoes are not entirely compatible with a steep concrete floor :smile: , although I was hardly better equipped with my sandals - much ribaldry from our guide) to a chamber on the coal face. The seam dips through the Forest and in this one is only around 30" high, making it rather challenging for the miners who have to lie on their sides to extract the coal. After an extremely informative visit it was back out into the sunshine, and with the cafe now closed our only alternative place of refreshment was the pub - oh dear - some miles away in Staunton.

[cont'd...]
Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Another evening of much convivial conversation ensued at the pub, over a very nice dinner and a few drinkies. In best Boner tradition, Peter wasn't entirely sure where our bivvy spot would be, so as we left I thought I might try the standard Reg Landlady Chat-Up Ploy. After a few minutes I'd worked up my spiel - the contents of which I shall not divulge to maintain secrecy of the noble art of Pub Bivvy Blagging - and presented my case to the landlady. Amazingly she maintained that we'd been model customers and were welcome to kip in the garden - result! Unfortunately not the result that got the vote from anyone else who for some bizarre reason decided that a night in some smelly ditch would be more preferable :grin: .

So off we went into the darkling woods, past an enormous limestone quarry (largest in the Forest - tick). Here we paused to look into the scary void in the dark, at which point I noticed some pairs of eyes coming towards us along the edge of the quarry. These multiplied and suddenly a large herd of deer rushed past, which was quite a sight.

Lots of tracks and trails through the Forest ensued, with various bivvy spots being assessed and rejected, until we eventually ended up at one of the visitors centres, which gratifyingly for someone of advanced years such as myself also included loos and a cafe for the morning. A third night out for myself, by which time I was finally getting a decent night's sleep. Well, decent until 6am when a "comedian" of the Forest went past in their car with an "amusing" horn tune which they sounded continuously from one distance to the other. Either that or Forest police cars have an amusing siren.

Another palatial flying diamond pitch for Reg, living dangerously with only one turn of the main line round the tree with just one slippery half-hitch.

Sadly no wild boar turned up in the night, as indeed they didn't throughout the whole trip. This shyness was not exhibited by the other profligate fauna of the Forest - slugs and snails - several of whom found their way into various bits of my sleeping bag and clothing by the morning. Peter even named our ad-hoc route after a snail, and I'll leave him to enlighten us what that was.

Nobody rumbled us during the night despite our exposed location, and it was straight round to the cafe for a loo visit. Luckily they were open, and indeed the cafe people had just arrived as well. The cafe wasn't meant to be open until 9am, and it was only just after 8, so there seemed little hope of sustenance. However, never let it be said that Reg passes up any opportunity for a 2nd, or indeed 3rd or 4th, Breakfast, so the negotiating commenced. It appeared that my compatriots were not 100% on board with the idea, but having had my pub garden bivvy cruelly rejected I thought I'm not losing this time :smile: . A bit of chat-up with the very personable young lady fiddling about behind the counter, and lo, Reg takes possession of a full cooked breakfast. Quite bizarrely a golden opportunity passed up by everyone else :-P . Topping up our water bottles we set off for the Peter Official Second Breakfast Cafe, which in fact turned out to be lunchtime so I was very glad of my breakfast thank you :smile: .

I'd requested a visit to (bits of) the FoD Sculpture Park, and Peter kindly obliged. I love the incongruity of these large artworks, plonked as they are amongst the trees. Here is one that looks like something out of a science fiction film. Verena and Kev humoured me by joining in with my own sculpture addition....

I shall allow Verena, if she wishes, to elaborate on what was going on here, all I'll say about the matter is "Wodger" :wink: .

Not sure what this one is meant to be....

One of my favourites....

Another nice morning wandering the byways and trails ensued, past old mines, WW2 installations, one of Peter's favourite bits of sour singletrack, and the aforementioned cattle trough where I washed various items of clothing, and indeed almost my person as well, which some naughty soul will no doubt provide photographic evidence thereof.

Peter explained that shortly we would be passing Old Bert who was always to be found sitting next to the trail, happy to talk to anyone who would listen. I looked forward to this, but when we got to him I must admit I found his conversation rather, er, wooden. Still, on the plus side Verena obviously hit it off with him :smile: .

A spot of lunch at the Forest Heritage Centre was most pleasant, with again Peter knowing all and sundry in the place :smile: . As we left I popped back into the cafe to take my plate, and the proprietress was alone sitting at a table. As I approached she dispensed some sage advice. "Well you'll just have to give up sex". Well that statement just opens up a whole can of worms really, and I was about to have an entertaining conversation based upon it, when I noticed that she was actually talking to the girl behind the counter who I couldn't see :grin: . After watching her for a couple of moments I got the impression that giving up sex was quite a remote possibility :smile: .

At this point Kev left us to ride home to Malvern (top effort that man), and Verena, Peter, and myself continued on to Lydney and my railway station for home.

Naturally we rounded off the whole weekend with yet another cafe at Lydney Docks - a very interesting place itself. Verena cemented her credentials as a "top table" Boner by purchasing one of just about everything in the kiosk - coffee, icecream, cold drink :-bd

A gentle toddle back to the station where I bade the guys a fond farewell and boarded the 15.14 to Cheltenham. Despite the previous strike days, I had an uneventful and enjoyable journey back, despite changing at Cheltenham, and Birmingham, AND Milton Keynes, with a loaded bike. Only 3 hours, very relaxing staring out of the window at the passing scene as usual, and a cup of tea on each of the trains rounded it all off nicely.

It only remains to thank Peter very much for all the organisation and passing on his encyclopedic knowledge of the Forest, and all three of my co-conspirators for their excellent company. The whole weekend was very chilled, with lots of laughter and silliness.

As usual, I am now finding it quite hard to return to Unreality :sad: . I do count myself very lucky indeed to have got to know some fantastic, experienced, knowledgeable, friends on these sort of trips.

"Boner!"

Oh, yes, Pub Count 2, Cafe Count 9 :-bd
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:08 pm Not sure what this one is meant to be....

It's got me stumped too.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:38 pm
RIP wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:08 pm Not sure what this one is meant to be....

It's got me stumped too.
:lol:
psling

Post by psling »

It'll be hard to add to the story with what's been written so far but I'll try to add a few more words if anyone is still interested!
We were lucky. We had ideal weather conditions and not a drop of rain all weekend 🌞😎. Kev and myself didn't bother with tarps and despite heavy dews I had very little condensation either night. Kit carried was minimal which made riding the undulating contours of the Forest of Dean slightly more comfortable.
Overall we covered just on 100km although Reg rode in from Chepstow and Kev rode in from (and back to afterwards) Malvern so their mileage may vary ( :grin: ). Mostly we were riding on fire roads, some narrow quiet lanes, and even got in some woodsy singletrack, seemingly to connect various sites of industrial heritage between the numerous eating opportunities :o
We enjoyed some excellent coffee, cake, food and beer and I can't for the life of me think why I seemed to be known pretty much at every stop!
The industrial heritage of the area is fascinating and Reg has covered it well above ^^^. Like the valleys of South Wales, the area is rural but with a long history of mining, quarrying and forestry and there are signs of it everywhere, some well hidden. We got to see a fair amount but really only a tiny insight. Verena's 3 elements above are coal, steel and timber.
Looking forward to Kevin adding some more photos to the tale. I shall have fond memories of the weekend, it was great fun and after all, that's what it's all about really :-bd

ps - photo of V above, in fits of giggles. I believe it may have been Whodwi that set her off....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

An unusual thing happened a date was suggested for a frolic in the woods and almost immediately we all agreed on that date , as it turned out we made the right decision as the weather god's had clearly lost sight of Reg an inspired bit of booking to travel Friday and sneaking away Thursday instead well-done that man :smile:
I was doing nothing Friday so rode down to meet the others the highlight of the ride was riding faster than the traffic on the M50 was moving as i rode along a little lane that ran alongside it . Dinner was booked for 7 in my mind not entirely correct , so no great rush and plenty of time to see if my memory of the various ways through the forest were lurking in the dark recesses a few dead ends later and some really sweet riding on sour singletrack I arrived just in time as Verena was handing out emergency supplies as I found out later we were fortunate not to have an emergency !!
ImagePXL_20230901_193837942 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A great evening in the pub was enjoyed good food and drink and a lot of laughter helped no end by having a professional giggler on our team . It was a beautiful evening so no great hardship to head out to Peter's preselected bivvy spot I was in the basement and the others upstairs .
ImagePXL_20230902_061147904.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20230902_061129906 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I had invited them to join me at my bench for breakfast an invitation that was gladly accepted .
ImagePXL_20230902_063141412.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
All packed and off we went in the direction of Mallards pike to visit the facilities luckily for us there is also a cafe which after about 20 minutes riding we were desperately in need of . After this it all went a bit uphill there was a lot of talk about holes in the ground , things at the top of holes in the ground and things for taking stuff away from the holes in the ground fortunately at the top of this hill was Reg's home from home a cafe in which he was on first name terms with the staff . More sustanance and we were off to another hole in the ground this time one we were going down as luck would have it we arrived just in time to have a cup of tea and some cake before our descent . The mine tour was very interesting and is recommended though quite dark at times .
ImagePXL_20230902_145053852.NIGHT by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
As the cafe was shut when we emerged from the darkness we had to cary on on some nice tracks in the woods
ImagePXL_20230902_161242759 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20230902_161249705.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Another pub more good food and drink this time at Staunton
ImagePXL_20230902_180512979 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Reg negotiated a spot in the garden but it was just after 9 so we went towards Peter's chosen spot which after a few other options were explored we ended up at . It was such a stunning night I would have happily kept riding I am not sure how long the happily would have lasted though . As has already been mentioned we had two very dewy nights yet the bivvy bag was bone dry both mornings .
ImagePXL_20230903_050350857 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
After our preliminary breakfast we arrived at the visitor centre some minutes later (2) where Reg forced the door open of the cafe and refused to leave unless they fed him which they did we had some coffee and watched :smile: Next was the sculpture trail always a joy where I spotted these two idiots i have no idea what was going on other than the metal pole was straight before they started
ImagePXL_20230903_090246986.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20230903_090311458.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Only one more cafe stop for me at the Dean Heritage museum as this was the point I was heading for home from on the way we came across this couple he definately had wood .
ImagePXL_20230903_101824281.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Goodbyes said and away I went I met a couple of chaps in the woods and got chatting one was on the town council and told me they had just finished the Wild Boar cull so the numbers of them are at the lowest for a while which probably helps explain their elusiveness . One more challenge lay ahead " the land that time forgot " with house names such as sleepy hollow . I was very thankful for the OS maps on the phone as what little I remembered was of no use as the trees were being harvested eventually I saw the light and got out .
Thanks for the wonderful company as always.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"I spotted these two idiots i have no idea what was going on other than the metal pole was straight before they started" :lol:

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Excellent levels of lunacy by all :-bd

I wonder if when the time comes they'll let you have adjacent rooms at the asylum or if they'll keep you separated so as not to be a bad influence on each other :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Cracking write up :grin: :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Excellent stuff all :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Just a few more, before it's cheery Friday yet again, and we can pass the baton on to the next lot of you having adventures, whoever you are... :cool:

I really liked the cafe at Bream on the Saturday, second breakfast/ early lunch

ImageIMG_20230902_120928 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

This place was amazing, Peter will be able to explain it better, but there were lots of old bits of steam train boilers and other parts in this yard
ImageIMG_20230902_135019 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

At the mine
ImageIMG_20230902_151504 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Reg didn't want to be open to the possibility of being accused of visiting a cafe for breakfast on the Sunday without first having done something to earn it, so he demonstrated being a plank for us
ImageIMG_20230903_083346 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

In the sculpture park, we took some time to decipher and ponder the wise words of this poem about the forest, see if you can read it
ImageIMG_20230903_095412 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

When we passed this trough we remembered the now legendary water bed BAM, so Reg had a go
ImageIMG_20230903_104233 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Did we mention the food?? :wink:
ImageIMG_20230903_223932 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Have a look at the sign on this bench
ImageIMG_20230903_225123 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I do like the part where we popped out of the forest and down to Lydney
ImageIMG_20230903_145226 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Even got to see a choo choo train at the end
ImageIMG_20230903_225702 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Oh, and the giggles, those colourful sculptures came with stainless steel sphere thingies that you are supposed to touch, so we did, and then we thought it was like some film or something where the heroes of the piece touch the magic something or other and then something happens....can't remember to be honest...anyway, someone spoke the magic words of Welease Woger, and that was it, I was off, for about ten minutes of giggling...
RIP

Post by RIP »

In fact it was your good self who mentioned the aura or something locked up in the spheres and how we should release..... (them)... but too late my only possible response was of course "Wodger" :grin: . I do love it when people crack up into uncontrollable giggles because it sets me off too :smile:

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:50 am Just popping in for a moment.

Caption Contest:

Smile if you've got a bit of a boner.. :grin:
Sorry a bit late to the party...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Raggedstone wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:58 pm ...professional giggler...
Reg unleashes his superpower :wink: .

Entertaining write-ups all round for a lovely little jaunt.

9 cafés, you say... :shock:
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:08 am 9 cafés, you say... :shock:
In the interests of accuracy it was actually 13 - I had a brew on the way on the train, and 3 brews on the way back. Lucky 13.