Trek Freehub - Powefly 5

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Itchynuts

Trek Freehub - Powefly 5

Post by Itchynuts »

I am relatively new to this cycling lark and have managed to wear out the bearings in a freehub in about 4000 miles.

This seems a bit premature to me. Am I wrong to expect a longer life than this?

All my riding is off road but 90% forest fire roads not the serious mountain biking stuff.

Worse still my local bike shop ordered a replacement more than 6 weeks ago and each week Trek add another week to the ETA. Is this typical or are Trek particularly bad for spares.

Up until 6 weeks ago, if asked, I'd have given Trek a very favourable review but now I'm not so sure.
Lazarus

Re: Trek Freehub - Powefly 5

Post by Lazarus »

Can you not swap out the bearings ?

4000 off road is the lower end of acceptable ( its poor but not dreadful) but certainly had an XT one not last anything like that on my SS ..doubt it reached a thousand miles

I got 750 miles out of a DUB bottom.bracket ( woeful levels there )
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I wrecked a bearing in the non drive side of a bontrager rear hub in about 100 dry miles - water got in when washing and did for it....
If it's the same bonty hubs the bearings can be hammered out and changed in both the hub and the freewheel.
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

Thanks for the info and advice.

Yes I'll try swapping the bearings myself next time but I've had really good service from my local Trek dealer and it seemed like an easy and painless route to take.

My local shop are blaming Trek and I believe them. Trek spares come from "the continent" which seems to have moved to another planet since Brexit. Strange because half of the stuff I buy from Amazon comes from the same "continent" but it can still get to me in 24 hours! My wife gets stuff from China reasonably often and it takes about 3 weeks on average so 6+ weeks (and still no sign) from Trek is fairly crap.

Next time I'm within striking distance of an actual Trek shop I think I'll call in and have a rant.

Fortunately I have another set of wheels so I am still riding about or I would be a basket case by now.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Trek’s warehouse is in Holland, my local bike shop ordered some Hub end caps for me,
Took a couple of weeks…..