More confused after research!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

howsey16

More confused after research!

Post by howsey16 »

Did my first bikepacking expedition with a mate last week and loved it! Rode 30ish miles into the peak district and camped at crowden. I used a 1man tent iv had for years (gelert solo) and felt like I was in a coffin! It has to go!!!! My mate had a vango tempest 200 which is still fairly compact but felt like a Palace to me. I vowed to buy I new one so have jumped in feet first into forums, YouTube, google etc. And now I can't make my mind up whether to buy a cheap £100 one that's "ok", or go for one that will last me and spend £300+. I like the look of the copper spur bikepacking version but feel like it's a bit overkill for me for now. But I don't want to get something too cheap and regret buying it.

What have others done in the past when starting getting into it? Any experiences from hindsight?

Much appreciated

P.s. hi.... im a newby to the forum
boxelder

Re: More confused after research!

Post by boxelder »

Not sure this is useful, but I got the standard (non-bikepacking Copper Spur) as my fourth bikepacking tent/shelter and it's great. The only drawback is that it can't be pitched outer first, without buying the footprint (+£70), though I've not bothered. It's spacious, light enough and the poles fit in a frame/TT bag. Pack size is minimal. You could sell it after a year for at least half the cost, if your needs change.
Welcome to the forum.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Hi and welcome….
Can’t advise on a new tent, loads of choice and plenty of advice forthcoming from others…..
However, stick your Gelert Solo on eBay and you might be surprised what you get for it,I
Think I had mine for 6 years, used a few times, bought for £28, sold for £65 :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Welcome to the forum Howsey16. Lots of advice incoming I'm sure, it's all part of the fun!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We've the (non bikepacking version) Copper Spur 2. With the footprint it's 750g each which isn't much more than tarp and bivy bag. As stated, you need the footprint to be able to put it up outer first.

I'd seriously look at the Durston X-mid, I think Shaf (redefined_cycles) has one, it wasn't available when we got the CS.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I only thought after I'd wrotten my message Bob to mention the Durston. But then didn't want a healthy debate too soon :lol:

I absolutely love mine :-bd
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I too am thinking of a Durston X Mid...and I have the marvellous Lunar Solo ... it looks a fabulous tent.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Morning.

Firstly, have you set your mind on a true tent, ie double walled with its own poles etc? If you have then that likely helps as it narrows down the options to something more manageable.

Now, there are a few things to consider which might not be obvious when initially searching.

1/ As price goes up, there's a tendency for the robustness of material (that's actual material plus poles and pegs) to go down. Obviously it's in effort to save weight but remember that you may need to treat a higher end tent with a little more respect.

2/ Always check the stated head-room. Manufacturers will usually state the peak height but that doesn't usually take into account the inner, which can often be a few inches lower ... this may effect whether or not you can sit up in it.

3/ While short pole lengths are useful, remember that poles can be packed separately from the rest (top tube or across the bars), so longer poles might not be the deal breaker they sometimes appear.

4/ Tents that can be pitched all in one or outer first are often a better option for UK conditions.

Wildcountry Helm 1 compact looks like a pretty good bet.

Or if you didn't mind adding a pole in order to gain much room, then I'd possibly be looking at a Luxe Mini Peak II

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye welcome to this rather unusual little backwater of the internet. Once found, never left. Rather than remove confusion, just to be contrary I'm going to add to it :smile: . Mainly because of your reference to not enjoying sleeping in a coffin...

Many on here started off with a tent but progressed to an open tarp once they learned of the associated advantages and pleasures. I'm definitely not suggesting you steam straight out and buy one now as your primary shelter, but if you have the time do add it to your research and investigations. If you're not familiar with tarps I think you'll be amazed at the whole new world opening up.

In fact I've just realised that's rather an apt description of tarps in more ways than one, literally and figuratively - "a whole new world opening up" :smile: .

An open tarp is the very antithesis of a coffin.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:48 am not enjoying sleeping in a coffin...
Hmm. Now you've got me thinking. As I'm sure it won't take long for someone to point out, I have been known, now and then, to select sleeping accommodation that might not be most people's first choice, given the option. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas.......
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Three of us were out in Friday's mega-deluge under my Aliexpress MLD Trailstar clone. It cost bugger all, fits into a 2l dry bag, only needs half a dozen pegs and a couple of poles. We stayed dry, could see the sunrise through the gap and can sit up under it so definitely not claustrophobic!
20230805_065530.jpg
20230805_065530.jpg (108.27 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Many ways to skin a cat!

Stu's already mentioned whether you are set on a "proper", inner&outer tent. If you aren't (there are several + and - to the option) then maybe a Six Moon Designs Deschutes (shaped tarp):

Or their Lunar Solo (shaped tarp with a floor and some bug net):

Light in comparison to many things and relatively bombproof, possibly awkward if you are long/tall though options to guy out side walls, carbon poles available from our Stu on here, pretty good 2nd had sales so if it doesn't fit your bill easy to shift on.

Various stockists in UK (or 2nd hand).

Definitely recommending what I've got and not really answering the OP question but hey, welcome :cool:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'll chip in that I have the predecessor to the Deschutes as my solo shelter, also highly recommended.
Something like the Alpkit Tarpstar might also be worth a look.
Colorado-sunset
Colorado-sunset
IMG_20160627_130617.jpg (114.19 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Boab

Post by Boab »

When I was in a similar situation, I'd been using bird hides, or an old bivvy bag, to kip in. I knew I wanted a tent and had settled on the SMD Lunar Solo, however, someone on here offered up their 3F UL Lanshan 1 Pro, which is a cheapo knock off of the Lunar Solo; you can find them on eBay. It's a bit cramped at times and a total condensation generator, amongst it's flaws, but it packs small (ish) and is relatively light, so a good starter for ten.

Obviously I've been thinking about upgrading it ever since I first used it. I'd sort of settled on the Zpacks Plex Solo, but that was before the Durston X-Mid 1 became a thing. Now I'm lusting after a X-Mid Pro 1, anyone need a kidney...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Big fan of the SMD deschutes here - as noted there are a few derivatives. You can use on it's own with either a groundsheet or a lightweight bivvy bag such as a Borah gear one; or with a mesh inner for full tent type experience. I too went from a coffin (Vango Helium) to this and it's proper luxury. Most of the experience of a flat tarp with the doors pinned back but able to be zipped shut for quite a lot of weather protection.
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ Oh gawd I knew I shouldn't have raised the question of tarp[tent]s :grin: . I'm sure you're not in the least confused now :smile: .
johnnystorm wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:31 am only needs half a dozen pegs
Hah, I can see seven there :grin:

If we're going to start bringing tarptents into the equation - Deschutes etc - you may as well go the whole hog and save 60 more grammes with a Gatewood Cape. I've had that thing out in 40mph+ winds and heavy rain and "enjoyed" myself immensely.

Good luck with the deliberations :smile:

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

RIP wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:02 am ^ Oh gawd I knew I shouldn't have raised the question of tarp[tent]s :grin: . I'm sure you're not in the least confused now :smile: .
johnnystorm wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:31 am only needs half a dozen pegs
Hah, I can see seven there :grin:
6 pegs and a titanium spork. Every gram counts. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

You got me! I like it :grin:

Spork, two tyre levers, spare spoke, a poo trowel, and one peg?

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

RIP wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:24 am You got me! I like it :grin:

Spork, two tyre levers, spare spoke, a poo trowel, and one peg?
:lol:

Could probably use a brake lever. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK, when “getting into it “ we used an Alpkit Rig3.5 with some poles scavenged from an old tent. Total cost was about £40.

We have…

The Rig3.5
An Alpkit Rig7
A Trekkertent DCF tarp
An SMD Gatewood
A Wild Country Laser
The Copper Spur

Mostly we’ll take the DCF tarp and the Gatewood.

Generally tarps are more flexible, lighter, cheaper but need a bit of a learning curve. Tents are the opposite with shaped tarps somewhere in the middle.
drain

Post by drain »

Welcome to the bear’s den…
Just back to Big Agnes tents, as you’d mentioned the Copper Spur - they come up quite big compared with other makes, by all accounts. My Seedhouse SL1 is as big as my old Wild Country 2P was, or at least it feels like it. A good amount of headroom.
Alpkit Tarpstar 2 is also fun and a good option if you want to try any combination of double skin tent through to tarp only.
howsey16

Post by howsey16 »

Wow! Thanks for your replies... even more confused now hahaha

Tarp tents I kind of discounted as it seemed to me that they needed a trekking pole which I wouldn't have. What do you guys use to prop them up?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

howsey16 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:23 pm Wow! Thanks for your replies... even more confused now hahaha

Tarp tents I kind of discounted as it seemed to me that they needed a trekking pole which I wouldn't have. What do you guys use to prop them up?
Erm, a tent pole! :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

howsey16 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:23 pm Wow! Thanks for your replies... even more confused now hahaha

Look in the shop section of this site. In the shelter category you'll find a selection of rather nice carbon fibre poles for various tarps :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:53 pm Look in the shop section of this site. In the shelter category you'll find a selection of rather nice carbon fibre poles for various tarps :wink:
They're dead good. Stu will make them "foldable" to your desired length to fit whatever luggage you have. Come to think of it, for all I know he might even make one in 110 pieces each 1cm long so that you could fit it in your coat pocket.