Any Route pointers?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Any Route pointers?

Post by FLV »

Can anyone offer any pointers for a nice route?

Basically, I’ll be starting from a little family holiday in Anglesey and have 3 or 4 days to get home to northern peak district. I figured I would take the mountain bike, perhaps stick some touring tyres on but other than that just get cracking and ride.
Happy to have a few road / track sections but would be great to get a bit of off roading in too, even if its just fire track style stuff.

Any tips appreciated
MM-on-POINT

Re: Any Route pointers?

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Check out the sustrans uk map it shows a good simple route mostly of road along the water front and canals

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map.

If you fancy some company when you hit chester to Manchester section yet me know the dates you have in mind
Have fun either way :D
FLV

Post by FLV »

Some nice info there on Sustrans thanks.

Ill be leaving Anglesey next Wednesday at some point but have no idea what time I would hit Chester area. Drop me a pm if you think you might fancy it next week and ill send my number on.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Best bet, as MM-Point said, use the sustrans site and find the paths from there.

What I would do is,
Follow the coastal sustrans path from Bangor along the coast via Llanfairfechan, through to Conwy, Llandudno etc. Keep on this past Rhyl and onto Prestatyn. Here, the path sorts of fades away from what I've been told, so you'll either enter onto the duel-carriage way to Flint or go to Flint via the Halkyn Mountains (hills). Once in Flint (its not a great place to stop around here!), head to Hawarden bridge and cross over (its a wooden/steel rail bridge) the River Dee. Here (Grid 312 693), you have 3 options...

1) Follow the River Dee into Chester and meet up with MM-Point. I'd probably head towards Northwich and into the peaks that way

2) Head north east into the industrial estate and join up with the new cycle path that heads into the Wirral (a 5km isn't marked on the map but its on sustrans). You'll circle the Wirral from this point going through Burton, Parkgate, West Kirkby, New Brighton etc towards Birkenhead. Once at Birkenhead, there is a ferry terminal that will allow you to cross the Mersey. Once in Liverpool, you can join up onto the trans-pennine route that will take you south of Manchester and into the peaks onto Sheffield etc

3) (the most difficult route to describe)
Head along the cycle path towards the industrial estate but instead of going north into the Wirral (as route 2), keep on it until you reach the big blue bridge/old RAF base/A5050 (GR 333 700). From here, start heading north, keeping the A550 on your right to Dunkirk (about 5km). Follow the A5117 to Cheshire Oaks and once past Sainsburys, take a left and go through the middle of the Refinery (there is also a bike shop on that roundabout of the M53 (GR 41 74).

Once through the refinery, head towards Ince and join onto the cycle path that goes through the marshes and keep on these until Frodsham. From Frodsham, cross over the two (!) two River Weavers and follow the road right onto the cycle paths that go through Ashton, Dutton etc. Follow the River to Northwich and from here, it would be possible to get to Macclesfield and onto the southern peak district (I would imagine).

If you click onto my blog below, you'll see examples of option three under 'doorstep adventures'

Sorry the descriptions aren't great, not sure how I would draw these on a map and send it onto you :(

Any problems or confusion (I'm sure there will be, PM me)