Audax Tips?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Audax Tips?

Post by dlovett »

This Sunday I am doing my first ever Audax, the Tour of the Hills, (https://www.audax.uk/event-details/1041 ... _the_hills).

As it's my first Ever Road Bike Event, I am after any tips you guys can share.

I am preparing as if I was doing an ITT like the BB/YD/etc, but trying to ensure I cut down on gear etc.

Training wise I should be fine with my current fitness levels, after all its only 115 odd km!! I'll make sure I carb load a bit in the days before and make sure I am fully hydrated before hand. I'll be running a mix of 2l of Skratch Labs along with 2lr Precision Hydration PF60. With some home made snack mix in a bar bag to graze on. Basically thats what worked well on the NYM300 last month. They have a food/drinks at some of the check in stations, so I can grab extra there if I feel I need it.

Bike wise I am going on the Camino which still has the alpine gear set on it (28 Oval/10-42), giving about 30km/h before I spin out. It cruises mid 20's ok. There is a 10-30km/h average limit to keep within so that should be ok. It's keeping the WTB Ventures (Tubeless) on as they are go anywhere and feel fast enough on smooth roads. I know some of the area from MTB in the Surrey Hills, and the lanes are certainly not smooth! It's got a half frame bag on with pump, spare tube and electrics.

The big question is do I bother with the tool bottle I have on the lower bottle mount, Or do I just assume a well maintained bike won't need anything fixing apart from tyres? For a remote ITT I'd take it, but in rural Surrey???

Taking a single daytime front and rear light set.

Clothes hopefully will be shorts, shirt and arm/leg warmers and ultra light rain jacket, as weather is currently forecast 14-18c, light winds and 0-30% chance of showers.

It's starts at 0930 if I can get in the first group and I'd ideally like to be finished and in the car heading home before the footy starts at 4pm, which means I need to complete an average speed of 17.5km/h.

Any suggestions to TLS and or anything else gratefully received.

TIA

D
riderdown

Re: Audax Tips?

Post by riderdown »

I'll be running a mix of 2l of Skratch Labs along with 2lr Precision Hydration PF60. With some home made snack mix in a bar bag to graze on.
Most of the old hands will be running on tea and cake, baked beans on toast and cheese sandwiches
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Start slow and taper off
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

That's too much food for a 115 km ride for me, taking into account you'll stop for cake at a control at least once and ride past a Spar every 20 km, but YMMV.

Your bike will be fine; you could ride a full susser on 3" tyres and not come last on a 100 km audax.

Tips?
Even if you're an experienced road rider be wary of the group riding discipline of others if you are sitting close to their wheel to draft in the wind.
Don't pass up the cake stops just to save five minutes, you're there for a good time, not a good time.
Don't laugh at the guy fixing a puncture not long after the start, it may be you next.
Misery sometimes slows me up more than mass, so if the weather forecast is poor show don't be afraid of taking an extra layer or something that keeps your head in the game.
The guy on the steel-framed, rim-braked fixed gear has done 10k miles this year already and will drop you on the first hill.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

riderdown wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:50 pm
I'll be running a mix of 2l of Skratch Labs along with 2lr Precision Hydration PF60. With some home made snack mix in a bar bag to graze on.
Most of the old hands will be running on tea and cake, baked beans on toast and cheese sandwiches
If I am drinking tea, it's time to call a paramedic!! Cake perhaps, I struggle to eat during activities these days. At the end though, Boy I'll make up for it !!!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Dyffers wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:08 pm That's too much food for a 115 km ride for me, taking into account you'll stop for cake at a control at least once and ride past a Spar every 20 km, but YMMV.

Your bike will be fine; you could ride a full susser on 3" tyres and not come last on a 100 km audax.

Tips?
Even if you're an experienced road rider be wary of the group riding discipline of others if you are sitting close to their wheel to draft in the wind.
Don't pass up the cake stops just to save five minutes, you're there for a good time, not a good time.
Don't laugh at the guy fixing a puncture not long after the start, it may be you next.
Misery sometimes slows me up more than mass, so if the weather forecast is poor show don't be afraid of taking an extra layer or something that keeps your head in the game.
The guy on the steel-framed, rim-braked fixed gear has done 10k miles this year already and will drop you on the first hill.
Ta for those, I've only ridden a few hundred km's in my life in a proper pack and it still really un-nerves me. I'll hit up all the food going at the end. I tend to run very hot body temp wise, so the jacket and arm/leg warmers should be more than enough unless it turns arctic in the next two days. Yep I never laugh at others as it always brings misfortune your way.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I would take a tool kit its not like the extra weight will lead to failure but lack of tools might ( pack your hopes not your fears though). That said chances are one of the many other riders would have what you need )
Food for 100km three flapjacks and a pasty or some sandwiches ( you will get away with just stopping at shops , assuming the route has them) . We all vary for one day I don't need much if it was a multi day ride I would eat constantly.
Good luck and enjoy
chris n

Post by chris n »

Don't over think it
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

chris n wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:52 pm Don't over think it

perfect preparation prevents poor performance.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Preparations creates expectations. Winging it is the way to go :-bd :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Preparations creates expectations. Winging it is the way to go :-bd :grin:
Yep :-bd Expectation is the path to disappointment.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I take pretty much the same on a long Audax ride as I would on my commute. That's enough gear to fix just about any mechanical, enough clothing to deal with the forecast (+ another layer), and a bit of food/water.

I also make a note of where I'm likely to refuel on the route - usually every 4-5 hours.

Enjoy it and have a natter with some of the other riders - you'll discover some proper characters
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Duncan, don't forget that (AFAIR) Audaxes generally have an average expected time to stay within. Your 17.5kmh is probably in range.

Also, don't forget your mudguards (but don't tell em they're called mudguards) as you'll most likely be group riding much. Slow down, enjoy, don't forget the controls :-bd
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Seems way to much overthinking for the few audax I've done. They're more WRT than TDF. Very relaxed, tea & cake stops taken full advantage of. I'm sure me and a friend got reprimanded on one for being "too competitive" (those few that know me would laugh at this :grin: )
Just go and enjoy it. I don't think it's a TT.
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:23 am Duncan, don't forget that (AFAIR) Audaxes generally have an average expected time to stay within. Your 17.5kmh is probably in range.

Also, don't forget your mudguards (but don't tell em they're called mudguards) as you'll most likely be group riding much. Slow down, enjoy, don't forget the controls :-bd
Yep the range is 17.5-30km/h and luckily no mud guard’s required.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

alpine gear set on it (28 Oval/10-42)
I suspect you'll be wishing for higher gearing - at least 36 on 10-42.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

boxelder wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:18 am
alpine gear set on it (28 Oval/10-42)
I suspect you'll be wishing for higher gearing - at least 36 on 10-42.
Sadly not got enough time to change it. It’s called tour of the hills and I live in the only flat island in the uk, so hopefully they will do.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

godivatrailrider wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:56 am They're more WRT than TDF.
That sums it up nicely :grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I think I last did 100k in a day in 2005 or 2006 but do fancy doing an audax - just need to find a fairly flat one for my first.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cut your toenails.
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:22 pm Cut your toenails.
Everyone forgot to advise that. Plus plucking of the nose hairs? :grin:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

For those of you that want to dot watch, this link should work from about 0930 Sunday morning.

https://share.garmin.com/dlovett
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

All nails clipped and all hair plucked/waxed, Skinny clothing and funny shaped hat will be worn!!!

Now where is that duct tape to streamline the spokes!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Don’t forget your sun tan lotion…!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Yep the range is 17.5-30km/h and luckily no mud guard’s required.
No guards.. what is this crazy talk? :)

No problems to ride w/o them, just good to stay out of bunches if the roads are wet unless the bunch are ok with sprayers, don't pull in I'm front of someone etc.

Excessively bright and/or flashing rear lights and no guards aren't great on audaxes ime