What spectacles?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

What spectacles?

Post by redefined_cycles »

It's been a while since this has been asked. Lits more specs on the market. The last which were Oakleys (second hand off a mate but still eye wateringly expensive) got kisplaced by the daughter on the hills then an apology.

Put out a request in Strava and the likes and got donated some BBB. These lasted a good 2 months but now the coating seems to have scrubbed away enough that they're stressful (feel like what it would whilst riding in the rain) to wear. My mind was made ages ago that they needed to go, but another month managed out of em (eye protection from branches and maybe midges/flies and other stuff.

Don't want owt expesnive but not so cheap that they'll become blurry in a short time! Any suggestions for some economical specs that won't cause heart disease if misplaced/lost... :smile:

Thanks and sorry for the big blurb!
voodoo_simon

Re: What spectacles?

Post by voodoo_simon »

I like Uvex photochromatic (sp?) ones, or vario maybe?

Great for both night riding and riding in blazing sunshine :-bd Used mine for years on a daily basis, been impressed with them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uvex-Unisexs-S ... 774&sr=8-3

My dad has some tifosi ones that also change shade and they’ve been good (although used a lot less)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Just sunglasses and not with a prescription lens?

Have a look on eBay, plenty of POC and 100% copies at a price that won't cause too much upset if ruined.
Boab

Post by Boab »

ScrewFix et al do various safety specs with tinted lenses that wont cost you much.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Madison d'arcs for me (non prescription - I carry cheap reading glasses for repairs) 3 lenses and cheapish. If you have a smallish face Shaff I have a compact set sitting doing nothing which I can sell for not much money
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:18 pm Madison d'arcs for me (non prescription - I carry cheap reading glasses for repairs) 3 lenses and cheapish. If you have a smallish face Shaff I have a compact set sitting doing nothing which I can sell for not much money
Whats a compact set pls Phil? If they're good specs that won't scratch too easily and cheap :grin: then I'll take please... Let me kmow what you've got.
redefined_cycles

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:26 pm I like Uvex photochromatic (sp?) ones, or vario maybe?

Great for both night riding and riding in blazing sunshine :-bd Used mine for years on a daily basis, been impressed with them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uvex-Unisexs-S ... 774&sr=8-3

My dad has some tifosi ones that also change shade and they’ve been good (although used a lot less)
Thanks v much Simon. TBH Tifosi were the first ever decent specs I bought. Were in a sale at the shop I eventually volunteered to work at. Down from about £70 in an old stock sale. Lasted me absolutely years and loved every minute of owning them. Then lost em and wasn't sure if it was some sort of placebo I'd experienced due to the pricing!

Glad you made that recommendation as there's some at one of the ahops for about £30. Uvex, hmmm... They were giving em away to us during lockdowns as PPE so I assumed it's just cheap garb. Maybe not!
redefined_cycles

Screwfix and the POC/100% copies... Not sure about as there's plenty of spare safety specs lying about (at home)
Hurt my fat face on extended riding :sad: and not much different to the BBB I just broke and lwft as a momento at home for the daughter :lol: :lol: So next time she'll not put down my Oakleys (probably not bothered though).

Thanks once again all. Shopping list now =

Specs (maybe Tifosi or Amazon or Phils if they're super cheap/good.
Thicker grease to allow the pedals to feel more stiff.
Magic Mary tyre rear (so I'm more like Gian/Alpinum who has em at both ends).
Tubeless gunk - maybe some mpre olive based Mariposa.

Target (message to self) = not being broke this week by soending like a dummy!

*Dummy = not offensive to anyone, right!?
redefined_cycles

Just sunglasses and not with a prescription lens?

Have a look on eBay, plenty of POC and 100% copies at a price that won't cause too much upset if ruined.
Nope, not prescription thankfully. That's a situation I'm trying to safeguard from by protecting the old eyes!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Safety specs. If you look for indoors/outdoors lenses they are a good balance at letting you see when in shadows (like under trees) and full sunlight.
Being safety specs they don’t break the bank :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Safety specs. If you look for indoors/outdoors lenses they are a good balance at letting you see when in shadows (like under trees) and full sunlight.
Being safety specs they don’t break the bank :-bd
Only problem with that Mart (that I've found) is the inabilty of em to breathe very well. End up being 'condensated' :smile:
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

A couple of weeks ago Lidl had three designs of bike glasses on sale in their middle at lidl section

All £5.99 and some if not all of them are are photochromatic,

My local Lidl had plenty of pairs of each type left today.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Itchynuts wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:21 pm A couple of weeks ago Lidl had three designs of bike glasses on sale in their middle at lidl section

All £5.99 and some if not all of them are are photochromatic,

My local Lidl had plenty of pairs of each type left today.
I bought a pair of these (another 20% off with Lidl plus card!) and they seem fine. Any glasses I wear end up covered in sweat and these are obviously no different, but the photochromatic bit seems to work ok. I bought them for PBP, cos I wanted something I could wear all day and night and wouldn't be too worried if I lost them.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

voltX's cheap and cheerful off-the-shelf bifocals, ie. nothing at the top with reader prescription at the bottom, are amazing for those of us whose arms are getting shorter with age. I've got and had a few pairs and the only issue is perhaps the smoke tint feeling like too dark a tint on some overcast occasions.

https://www.voltxsafety.com/ultimate-bi ... s-p118.htm
redefined_cycles

Ended up with these just before Bearbones200 weekend. Single lens but seem good. Used em yesterday with lots of puffing/panting and they did become steamed up slightly when stopped. But as soon as I got underway it was gone.

Lets of vent holes. Thanks all for the input :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

decathlon. 2 quid a pair, shaded or clear.
redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:03 am decathlon. 2 quid a pair, shaded or clear.
Lost mine :lol: