Verena

Careful where you go bikepacking

Post by Verena »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... y-offences

Feeding birds, swearing, and napping in public :lol:
RIP

Re: Careful where you go bikepacking

Post by RIP »

Well spotted Verena! I'm doomed - I do all those things to excess. MIL lives in Welwyn Hatfield. Next time I take her out for a walk I must make extra sure that I don't nod off with her ramblings about "it was better in my day" :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

It’s outrageous that they fine rough sleepers, what will they think of next? Fine people for begging, oh the irony…
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm intrigued that you lot down there have allowed the government to grant such powers to the council :grin: Nowt like that up here, all we can do is book people for parking in the wrong place or fine people who let their dog poop. The cops do the rest....

I can't imagine any council would be happy about enforcing such nonsense as the grief to income ratio would be vast!
faustus

Post by faustus »

Nothing like dealing with the right priorities - could as easily be said for councils harassing rough sleepers, as it is for government focussing on small boat crossings and culture war skirmishes. :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm struggling to understand why, if approached and told to pay a fine, you would (a) give your correct details and (b) simply not shrug and walk off but not before saying "what you gonna do, tell me dad".
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

i agree with Stuart.
if i was doing any of the 'crimes' and was approached by a council official, i am sorry but i would tell them to go away. nicely obviously.

on a similar note, there is a lake near us, where people go open water swimming, and have done for years.
recently signs have been put up saying no swimming.
a friend was getting in the water a few week ago, when a bloke approached and told him it was illegal to swim there. my mate asked him 'how'.
the bloke couldnt answer my mate. but still insisted.my pal told him to ring the police,and continued with his swim.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm, it all smacks of Daily hate readers lobbying the Westminster muppet show (apologies to muppets) to get all these oiks off the street, who then pass the buck onto the Council, who then get lobbied by Daily hate readers to enforce it. Got to love democracy...
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

How do you prove somebody was napping?
RIP

Post by RIP »

boxelder wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:46 am How do you prove somebody was napping?
Ah well that opens the whole bivvying can of worms :smile: . Why is it OK to sleep in public during the day but not at night? No difference whatsoever.

All of this apparent ridiculousness is about insidious creeping control and deflection. Blame the bivviers and the boat people and people will miss the massive elephant in the room.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

recently signs have been put up saying no swimming.
Possibly just so the landowner cannot be held responsible if someone drowns as they took " reasonable steps ? Guessing though.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

i was doing any of the 'crimes' and was approached by a council official, i am sorry but i would tell them to go away. nicely obviously.
As understand it, even if the offence they are for details for isn't arrestable not providing your details is. They'll be used to people doing what you are proposing to do and probably have a PC around to support.

Simpler to appeal the notice
jameso

Post by jameso »

Little Britain :grin:
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Little Britain
If you compare the UK to US and Canada they are far worse, not mowing your lawn, wrong plants, not clearing the sidewalk. Lots of minor local bylaws
jameso

Post by jameso »

Still, I amused myself with the idea of OAPs running amok full of Red Bull, after trying to avoid being fined for dozing off in the park.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Solutions exist...

boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Just checked local byelaws, and in Keswick you're in trouble for:
a) failing to wear beanie and puffer jacket combo for at least 6 months of the year
b) walking without a sheepdog

I'd add using the terms 'mint pal' and 'reaching out' in public if it were up to me.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Whatever the merits of PSPOs you do dispair sometimes https://road.cc/content/news/cyclist-fi ... tre-302721
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

boxelder wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:05 pm Just checked local byelaws, and in Keswick you're in trouble for:
a) failing to wear beanie and puffer jacket combo for at least 6 months of the year
b) walking without a sheepdog

I'd add using the terms 'mint pal' and 'reaching out' in public if it were up to me.

Used to be Ronhills for north wales, couldn’t get past the border guards without them on