Bikepacking hall of fame?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Bikepacking hall of fame?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A few weeks ago, I got chatting to the bloke that had set up the UK drag racing hall of fame (bare with me) ... the idea is that each year a number of people are inducted as recognition for their efforts, achievements, progression or promotion of the sport.

Anyway, I wondered if such a thing existed within bikepacking, who would your three nominations for inclusion be?
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Re: Bikepacking hall of fame?

Post by fatbikephil »

You, Alan Goldsmith, Reg.
:grin:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Sweary Dave, Barry Godin, Postie Rich
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Spar, super noodles, Haribo.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearlegged wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:31 pm Spar, super noodles, Haribo.
:-bd

- Thread Closed -
jameso

Post by jameso »

efforts, achievements, progression or promotion
Generally / currently - bikepacking as a scene/group should look at what's happening in women's and inclusive bikepacking - Bikepacking Buds, New Forest Off-Road Club and so on. There's a number of women involved in those groups and initiatives, it'd be wrong to miss recognising what they're doing imo.

Obvious one to us here / in the UK but a mention for the organiser of the WRT.

Historical / worldwide - Mike Curiak for asking who was up for racing him down the GDMTBR that year, as far as I know that pretty much kicked off the racing side of all this?

tbh I would wonder what was going on if there actually was a bikepacking HOF .. alien things coming into a scene, a bit like seeing a full pit crew jump onto that racer's bike and change their shoes for them etc during the Unbound 200 a few weeks back. (i.e. "Spar, super noodles, Haribo" is as valid a vote as we'll hear!)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surprised no mention of John Stamstad, Matthew Lee or Mike Hall yet?

I think the HoF thing is generally seen as something to 'honour' those that have got before ... as Haribo, Spar and Pot Noodle are nothing new, that seems like a fair shout :wink:
Loki

Post by Loki »

A vote for Co-op locals, saved my ass more than once when I crawled into one soaking wet, hungry and tired, really handy in Devon and Cornwall.

Defo a nod to the suggestions, the legends room, possibly add Cass Gilbert to the list?
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
RIP

Post by RIP »

jameso wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:19 am
efforts, achievements, progression or promotion
Generally / currently - bikepacking as a scene/group should look at what's happening in women's and inclusive bikepacking - Bikepacking Buds, New Forest Off-Road Club and so on. There's a number of women involved in those groups and initiatives, it'd be wrong to miss recognising what they're doing imo.
Just beat me to it James. Important to give equal weight to our women 'packers - so, staying "local", I'll vote for those in This Place who keep it more interesting/useful than it would otherwise be: Verena, Cath, Viv, Borderer (wherever she may be), et al. Oh, that's four, includes a bonus.

Can't stand H*rib@s. Spar, noodles, and Tunnock's Caramel Wafers.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:24 am Surprised no mention of John Stamstad, Matthew Lee or Mike Hall yet?
They were first to mind for me, along with Mike Curiak. They'd be pretty much guaranteed entries? What came before Stamstad's ITT of the GDMTBR? The Moe brothers. The Cranes.

Actually that's it .. Nicholas and Richard Crane for 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'. That's my vote for the Pioneers section.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Anyway, I wondered if such a thing existed within bikepacking, who would your three nominations for inclusion be?
It would really be about those who have a meda profile and part of the "scene" plenty of people just quietly ride their bikes and sleep in ditches
jameso

Post by jameso »

riderdown wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:09 am
It would really be about those who have a meda profile and part of the "scene" plenty of people just quietly ride their bikes and sleep in ditches
This is true, but for ex. Lael Wilcox wouldn't have changed how many see what riding can be for them (or at least, prob wouldn't have been as effective in doing so) if she didn't race and get sponsorship, build a media profile etc.
RIP

Post by RIP »

jameso wrote: Nicholas and Richard Crane for 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'. That's my vote for the Pioneers section.
Seconded.

Someone from Rough Stuff maybe? Not sure how many were bivviers though.

Also interesting with these type of threads as to the split between 'Racers' and 'Tramps'.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not sure. A 'media' profile is something quite new and plenty happened before the rise of that.

I'd also say that a media profile of some sort whether that be instagram or having written a book forty years ago, is perhaps required in order to 'qualify' as without one, it's unlikely that anyone has shaped / inspired / driven / etc.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I thought of 3 non-racer OG bike travellers, but we might be into touring/bikepacking distinctions.

Anyway - Dervla Murphy, Goran Kropp and Martin Adserballe. 'Spirit of Bike Travel' section?
Last edited by jameso on Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A 'media' profile is something quite new a
Depends what we mean by new mallory had one, Shackleton did , hilary did etc
Granted its different today but many sports/ activities have famous pioneers
jameso

Post by jameso »

Yeah, Stu's right and one thing's for sure, social media has made a 'profile' far more accessible for those who want it or deserve it. It's pretty meritocratic in this area too.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Thomas Stevens of course.

But... I tend to struggle with getting excited by some person who did something.

For me, personally, there's only one person I was looking forward to meet (a couple of times) and asked to sign a photo from a mountain I had tried to climb with "Da war ich nie" (I never was there). It was Reinhold Messner.

We can all achieve great things. Each has to overcome hurdles. What I've seen from "famous" athletes (once the curtain was down) has often put me off. They're all humans after all...

I rather take inspiration from the 60 year old persons without fame, enjoying what many others call "the hardest bikepacking race". Thanks Marshall and Johnny.

KR,

Misanthropist
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Jefe Branham,Alexandera Houchin & Mike hall

Fixie Dave got to be up there too
Last edited by jay91 on Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

jameso wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:50 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:24 am Surprised no mention of John Stamstad, Matthew Lee or Mike Hall yet?
They were first to mind for me, along with Mike Curiak. They'd be pretty much guaranteed entries? What came before Stamstad's ITT of the GDMTBR? The Moe brothers. The Cranes.

Actually that's it .. Nicholas and Richard Crane for 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'. That's my vote for the Pioneers section.
The only book I've read twice :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Do we need to check their social media history for pictures bike packing and open fires....
ton

Post by ton »

one name sticks out a mile when i think of a cycling legend.

George Berwick. head and shoulders above anyone. distance, rough stuff, sleeping cave, or indeed anywhere.

https://veloveritas.co.uk/2020/05/17/ge ... ick-may20/
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

riderdown wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:16 pm Do we need to check their social media history for pictures bike packing and open fires....
The pitchforks and somewhat ironic burning at the stake can applied retrospectively
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:53 pm
riderdown wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:16 pm Do we need to check their social media history for pictures bike packing and open fires....
The pitchforks and somewhat ironic burning at the stake can applied retrospectively
Or live by the sword, die by the sword…
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’m not adding much construction to the debate so far, so I better chip in

First up I’ll second the suggestion of Cass, really like his work and used to love coming across his articles in magazines.

Like the suggestion of the Cranes, good shout. Think we all hope we have a little bit of them in us but personally speaking, sadly not for me :lol:

I’m surprised Lee Craigie hasn’t been mentioned, she’s done loads to encourage all ages/genders (hopefully that’s the right term) into the sport and appears to do it with lots of enthusiasm too :-bd

Lastly, I do like Annie Le. Follow her over on the ‘gram and she’s done more than her fair share of cool trips and pushing the boundaries on many of them.