Waterproof Jacket Recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Waterproof Jacket Recommendations

Post by Karl »

Looking for recommendations for a packable waterproof jacket. Needs a hood. Zips that don't mind mud. Waterproofing that doesn't wear out too quickly. Moon on a stick?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Waterproof Jacket Recommendations

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Outdry fits that description if you can find one.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

...But not the latest super lightweight one
Reg was using a montane jacket to good effect which seemed to fit the bill?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye we're always looking for that holy grail aren't we :smile: . As mentioned back then, 'tis DWR which I'm told is apparently old hat (just like Reg really) now, but I bought a Marmot Bantamweight. Only 153g - waste of time buying heavy shell I reckon, midlayer does the heavy lifting re insulation. I preferred my previous Marmot Essence which was monsoon-proof; but this one handled a day of heavy rain recently, no sweat. Literally no sweat :wink: . Was half price at Sport Pursuit too.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I got the slightly heavier version of this (the Firely Axel at 400g from Trekkit - I think they had em made specially for themselves) with Goretex Active C (meant to be the beat weight to strength material at the time). Itsbeen excellent since 2019. Goes everywhere with mw and sometimes gets handwashed (maybe a bit of Nikwax if I can be bothered).

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/co ... ens-jacket
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Still happy with all the Outdrys I've got :cool:
Karl

Post by Karl »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:17 pm ...But not the latest super lightweight one
Reg was using a montane jacket to good effect which seemed to fit the bill?
Any particular montane jacket? Noticed a few reduced on sportshoe website.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:13 pm Still happy with all the Outdrys I've got :cool:
Is there only one outdry jacket now? Struggling with the £225 price tag.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Karl wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:17 pm Any particular montane jacket? Noticed a few reduced on sportshoe website.
See Reg's post above - Marmot, not Montane...

And yes only seems to be the lightweight outdrys now, although I got mine for about £135 from memory... I've never really tried it a biblical storm to be fair but it's quite sweaty and a few times after not much rain I've half convinced myself it's leaking. I need to do a proper shower test though.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

also have the lightweight outdry and also share your reticence to really test it in poor weather

Size wise , though this and the winter one are both smalls its HUGE like massive , like two of me in it massive.

Hood is rubbish as well so i think its going to leak from there even if it is waterproof [ it may just be so thin its clammy ???]
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Another vote for outdry, they are amazing
Or Gore shakedry
Both don't have any DWR and they are perfect for the UK, if you get wet, undo the zip a bit to vent it
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Shakedry is so thin its not even recommended to use a rucksac with it. it's vaguely exciting stuff but brambles or a crash will wreck it. Don't wear it on the MtB personally...just not tough enough( and given price my tears when i rip it)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I accept the outdrys are not the most breathable. However, I've out sweated every single hardshell I've used so it's (for me) more about whether the level of internal moisture is bearable or not. Most importantly to me, outdrys aren't as dependent on a DWR like other hardshells. I seem to be able to kill DWR coatings remarkably quickly and find reproofing to be fairly ineffective. So, a regular hardshell with a buggered DWR and wetted out will not breath well, possibly as "badly" as an outdry, and I don' think Outdrys are that bad :cool:

So for me they are the best trade off of performance and durability.

On the less positive side they (certainly early ones) were almost impossible to differentiate between models from website info. The fit is fairly american (i.e. big in the body and boxy) and some people have mentioned sizing (but I've always bought Large (being usually UK XL) and they've all fitted fine). The hood design and adjustment is a bit mleh. I've worn them with rucksacs and had some moisture push thru (backpacking, not riding) but that can happen with most hardshells.

I bought several when they were cheap and then have just picked up other variants or replacements when deals have come up. Between £80 to £140 IIRC. I would baulk at £225 but that'd be the same for any cag, in fact even moreso a trad' hardshell.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I bought a Outdry 'Titanium' that is the first one I've found that's a closer fit. However, it only fits like that because I had a successful punt on a medium women's version for £60 new off ebay, knowing the men's medium would be tent-like. :roll:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I agree in the main with the DWR comments apart from one jacket I have which is sadly discontinued. My Gore One Pro jacket uses GoreTex Pro and it really does keep the water out. It was stupidly expensive and is on its way to Scotland to have yet another zip fitted but I could not be without this jacket when the rain gets serious. I cannot fathom why Gore stopped making it and do not seem to have a GoreTex Pro cycling alternative. I guess we're all far too tight.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:20 pm I agree in the main with the DWR comments apart from one jacket I have which is sadly discontinued. My Gore One Pro jacket uses GoreTex Pro and it really does keep the water out. It was stupidly expensive and is on its way to Scotland to have yet another zip fitted but I could not be without this jacket when the rain gets serious. I cannot fathom why Gore stopped making it and do not seem to have a GoreTex Pro cycling alternative. I guess we're all far too tight.
Hi Dave. Any details of who's fitting the zip pls. I have a Gore windproof with removable zips that I'm trying to save. Had a zip fitted but it wasn't a YKK so fell apart in less than a year. Don't wanna chuck it but equally don't want another zip to fail due to quality issues.. Thanks
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:46 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:20 pm I agree in the main with the DWR comments apart from one jacket I have which is sadly discontinued. My Gore One Pro jacket uses GoreTex Pro and it really does keep the water out. It was stupidly expensive and is on its way to Scotland to have yet another zip fitted but I could not be without this jacket when the rain gets serious. I cannot fathom why Gore stopped making it and do not seem to have a GoreTex Pro cycling alternative. I guess we're all far too tight.
Hi Dave. Any details of who's fitting the zip pls. I have a Gore windproof with removable zips that I'm trying to save. Had a zip fitted but it wasn't a YKK so fell apart in less than a year. Don't wanna chuck it but equally don't want another zip to fail due to quality issues.. Thanks
Scottish Mountain Gear

https://scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service

They were recommended to me by Gore.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

Hot take: dedicated cycling poncho? I have a brooks and only used it on my commutes and road, but I love the thing.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Dave. I'll email em.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I found Outdry too sweaty (and I'm not usually sweaty).
My best cag for biking/quick walking has been a Montane eVent fabric'd shell, with no pockets (actually, one small chest level pocket). Looks like they've moved to Goretex.
The Montane Minimus on Sportshoes looks worth a punt at that price. If you can live with black, I'd go with the Montane Pac Plus.
The lads I work with, who have to guide whatever the weather rate 7mesh Co pilot goretex - again, not cheap. https://ghyllside.co.uk/tops/8404-2433- ... ize-medium

Zips - I had my old Goretex mountain shell re-zipped and they made a really good job - would pass for new/original. Done by Alpkit in Keswick..... :o
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks for everyone's replies. It's a minefield out there. Still not chosen. Did find on Sportpursuit whilst looking at the Marmot Bantamweight a Berghaus Paclite Dynak GTX Jacket which seems good value, any knowledge/opinions?

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2789131

Montane jackets on sportshoes seem to be either black or not in my size (medium). Wanting to be a bit more visible (not hi-vis visible) so looking for something with a bit of colour.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Karl wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:34 am Thanks for everyone's replies. It's a minefield out there. Still not chosen. Did find on Sportpursuit whilst looking at the Marmot Bantamweight a Berghaus Paclite Dynak GTX Jacket which seems good value, any knowledge/opinions?

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2789131

Montane jackets on sportshoes seem to be either black or not in my size (medium). Wanting to be a bit more visible (not hi-vis visible) so looking for something with a bit of colour.
It's decent goretex and a good price. I'd say it'll do the job, unless you have long arms. At 365g it's not light and the pack size won't be insignificant, but it'll keep you dry and using the right detergent stuff, they should wash pretty well. If it's not great for riding, you'll still have a decent walking/climbing waterproof or would get most of your £ back on resale.
And it's red.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've been a bit underwhelmed with goretex paclite - I've a pair of paclite overtrousers which didn't seem to be waterproof for long. My latest pair are part paclite plus and part goretex active and this seems better. I've a Gore goretex active roadie jacket which so far has been good but it's also a bit heavy.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Tried sportshoes.com?

Seem to be stocking a wider array of gear and stuff can be keenly priced.
Lemming

Post by Lemming »

I was going to ask the same question about coats today after I got soaked last night 🫣

Would any of the recommendations be fine for hiking in too?