Flattening the gravel bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Flattening the gravel bike

Post by faustus »

It's been on my mind for a while, as i've slowly been going off my drop bars. My mind is actually heading in the direction of a fairly light and versatile atb (might even say hybrid with extra tyre clearance!), for the longer mixed terrain rides and bikepacking where mtb is a chore on long tarmac bits. Even for the odd mostly road ride, which I don't really do anymore. Thought i'd give it a try with bits I have and a few extras I don't, by putting loop bars or on one OG bars on my V3 camino in XL size. Anyone changed their gravel bike to flat, and any tips? The reach on the frame is fairly decent (410mm) so I think it would work OK, not sure if I would need to change the 75mm stem it already has?

Also keen to here from anyone who runs a general purpose flat bar bike, and how it works for them. Before anyone says rigid mtb, I already have one and would prefer to retain the road handling manners and larger frame triangle, but also have plenty of rack and mudguard mounts.
Cheers
johnnystorm

Re: Flattening the gravel bike

Post by johnnystorm »

Not what you've asked but...

I have the 50cm Redshift drops on mine with their cruise control grips under the tape.

https://granfondo-cycling.com/redshift- ... rm-review/

The wide tops probably aren't far off my first 90s mtb and the drops are as comfy as they can be.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Thank you, I've got a pair of Ritchey Corralitos bars that I haven't put on yet, which are very short reach and drop...but not fitted yet because i'm thinking I may as well go for flat...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So really what you're after is this ...

May the bridges you burn light your way
faustus

Post by faustus »

Well it's an open goal but not a 90s mtb :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

At some point the loops will find their way onto the Straggler. In fact my mate persists on referring to it as my Hybrid so quite fitting really...
I figure on the longer version of the ergotec High Charisma stem to keep them high enough and still put my hands roughly on the steering axis. Will look a bit duff but by then I won't care.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Flaiired drops with aero bars? Jones bars with aero bars. Both give you pretty much every grip position possible.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I did it a few years ago on my road bike to make it more upright for commuting, i had to increase the stem length but wasn’t much to get a compromise between sitting upright and stretching myself out. You probably need a stem somewhere between where the hoods sit and the stem cap if that makes sense?

Also, I fitted some grips that had built in bar ends so I could sit more comfortably