Ludlow

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Ludlow

Post by dlovett »

I might be house sitting in Ludlow this september. I don't know the area at all. Is it good biking county or better for trail running? Any suggestions of place to go, things to see?

Would need to be half day trips as we will have dog/cats/ducks/sheep etc to look after while we are there.

TIA
Al

Re: Ludlow

Post by Al »

I don't know about running, but plenty of good riding to be had. Mortimer forest is right on the doorstep if you want trail riding and happy to follow your nose. Burry ditches also has a lot of quality trails if that's your thing.

Some great xc routes too round south Shropshire and heading over the border. Happy to point you towards some stuff, how long do you call a day ride? I'm based up on the Kerry Ridgeway which is great if you want to ride into Wales and cover some miles. Long Mynd is definitely worth ride if you've never ridden round here - mynton batch is a lovely single-track descent.

If you're in Ludlow itself find the csons cafe down by the river, also a good sport for a swim.
Last edited by Al on Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Al wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:01 pm I don't know about running, but plenty of good riding to be had. Mortimer forest is right on the doorstep if you want trail riding and happy to follow your nose Burry ditches also has a lot of quality trails if that's your thing.

Some great xc routes too round south Shropshire and heading over the border. Happy to point you towards some stuff, how long do you call a day ride? I'm based up on the Kerry Ridgeway which is great if you want to ride into Wales and cover some miles. Long Mynd is definitely worth ride if you've never ridden round here - mynton batch is a lovely single-track descent.

If you're in Ludlow itself find the csons cafe down by the river, also a good sport for a swim.
***vaguely exciting*** not vaguely exciting tips thanks, Jen sea swims most days and is excited about trying that. Not sure how much time I will have as the animal care might take a while each day. Never looked after sheep or ducks before. Neared the time I'll ask you some specifics, good to know now we should plan on taking the bikes and perhaps the kayaks.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Really good tips thanks, it keeps changing A w e some to vaguely !!!!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

it keeps changing A w e some to vaguely
#hyperbolefilter #we'rebritishyouknow
Al

Post by Al »

My wife is a keen outdoor swimmer. Head to the reservoir at carding mill church stretton, it's lovely. Get there early though if you want it quiet. Some nice pools up clee hill not far from you as well.

Not much complicated about looking after sheep beyond pulling their heads out of fences now and then. If they're still very young or the grass is crap you might need to feed them in the morning, but in September I can't see it getting in the way of riding.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I live in Ludlow :-bd It's excellent for cycling and trail running. We've got Mortimer Forest which has a proper DH area (too much for me), and the forest is riddled with trails of varying scariness. Hopton is 13 miles away. Long Mynd 15 miles away.
There's more than enough to keep even the most active busy.
godivatrailrider

Al wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:01 pm I'm based up on the Kerry Ridgeway
Did you do the WRT? if so, I may have met you at the Ty'n y Cornel pub on the lake (not serving food)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:39 am I live in Ludlow :-bd It's excellent for cycling and trail running. We've got Mortimer Forest which has a proper DH area (too much for me), and the forest is riddled with trails of varying scariness. Hopton is 13 miles away. Long Mynd 15 miles away.
There's more than enough to keep even the most active busy.
Sounds great thank you!!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Al wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:24 am My wife is a keen outdoor swimmer. Head to the reservoir at carding mill church stretton, it's lovely. Get there early though if you want it quiet. Some nice pools up clee hill not far from you as well.

Not much complicated about looking after sheep beyond pulling their heads out of fences now and then. If they're still very young or the grass is crap you might need to feed them in the morning, but in September I can't see it getting in the way of riding.
Good to know, I believe they are leaving an animal instruction book for us!!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:44 am
Al wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:01 pm I'm based up on the Kerry Ridgeway
Did you do the WRT? if so, I may have met you at the Ty'n y Cornel pub on the lake (not serving food)
Nope not me as I've not been to Wales since before lockdown ;-(
Al

Post by Al »

I did but wasn't me. Didn't make it over that way.
godivatrailrider

Al wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:32 pm I did but wasn't me. Didn't make it over that way.
Ok ..I met someone from Bishops Castle ... thought it might have been you.
Al

Post by Al »

I think that might be Nigel.
He's not on here though.
godivatrailrider

Al wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:20 pm I think that might be Nigel.
He's not on here though.
:-bd
mskinner

Post by mskinner »

Hi

For routes out of Ludlow check out the Cross cartel and if you need bike bits Epic cycles is ace

https://thecrosscartel.com/
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Plenty of good cycling in that area. I lived in the Corvedale for a while. Many nights spent up on Brown Clee as well as Long Mynd...both within easy reach of Ludlow.

Greetz

S : )
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cheers guys the trip is now on as I have my leave approved. Those routes look great, many thanks
godivatrailrider

It's a lovely place to be :cool: :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

The house we will be looking after in in a small hamet just north of Ludlow, so most of the places you guys have suggested won't be far off.

Is the river any good for SUP boarding on? We were thinking about bring them rather than rigid kayaks.

Cheers
godivatrailrider

I'm not sure of the requirements, depth / flow wise for SUP ... plenty of opportunity at Ludlow where the Teme has some weight.... north of Bromfield things get shallower though the Teme would still be fine, the Onny would be too shallow I think
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:52 am I'm not sure of the requirements, depth / flow wise for SUP ... plenty of opportunity at Ludlow where the Teme has some weight.... north of Bromfield things get shallower though the Teme would still be fine, the Onny would be too shallow I think
I guess 1ft ish depth and slow flowing. Will research the teme
godivatrailrider

dlovett wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:14 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:52 am I'm not sure of the requirements, depth / flow wise for SUP ... plenty of opportunity at Ludlow where the Teme has some weight.... north of Bromfield things get shallower though the Teme would still be fine, the Onny would be too shallow I think
I guess 1ft ish depth and slow flowing. Will research the teme
There's a couple of big weirs between Bromfield and the south of Ludlow, pretty much where the bridges are.... actually I can think of 4 one at Bromfield, one just before the Dinham Bridge( by the castle), one between Dinham and Ludford bridges and one after Ludford bridge..... I believe the Lud from Ludford and Ludlow is 'Loud' ... before the weirs they were noisy rapids...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

We didn't bring the sup's in the end just bikes, good job as the river is very shallow. Our place is about 5m outside Ludlow. The town and area are very nice.

Had a couple of walks and runs, the local trails don't seemed to be used much and so are mainly impassible due to growth.

The sheep are proving to be very easy to look after, they only show any interest in you if you have their food.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Well Ludlow is a really great place. Weather was a bit up and down as it rained a lot but was warm when it wasn't. Got a few nice runs in although where we were stayng in Lower Hayton, the footpaths and bridlepaths were seriously overgrown, several time I had to turn back.

Shropshire is allow pretty hilly, something I didn't quite expect. However it was good practise for Wales. WE went out to Church Stretton as suggested and Jen got her swim in the pool there after I dragged her up and over the hills. Love the grading system they have there, fast grassy track was the description, they just forgot to mention it has big rocks on it and is about a foot wide with a 250 foot almost vertical drop! Again good practise for Stu's latest torment.

The Classic Ludlow Tourist shot.
Ludlow.jpg
Ludlow.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 794 times